Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Where Mechs are Built

Replies

• samifira
    Offline / Send Message
    samifira polycounter lvl 10
    Jesus christ these are gorgeous. Can't wait to see them textured.
  • VESIUS
    Love the scene so far, however there should be a heavy lift type crane in this as well. The current crane is nice, however looks to light for some of the parts on the mech. Other than that maybe a huge control panel for testing or something like that. Anyway I know the scene is nowhere near finished however just some things I think that would look cool in it.
  • leopadua3d
    Hi there,

Tnx for the compliments.
    Vesius, I see what you are saying. The current crane/hoist is 25Ton capable unit, but I agree that some other kind of crane would be good, specially if I place it on the empty space on top of the mecha.

I will check out what to do, but Im sure of one thing... lots to do. Getting this all on low poly will give me some work. I just wish this was a commissioned project.

Will post some updates soon.

Cheers.
  • Thriller Theater
  • Weirdboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    I take back my complaint before about the mech being different then the ref, that looks pretty badass.
  • leopadua3d
    Hi everyone, its been a LONG time since I last did anything on this project, but recently I got quite thrilled about it again and decided to work on it.

I have been testing Corona renderer for my offline imagery, and I'm quite happy with it, so I decided to texture some of the props for the scene and put them out for feedback and crits. These are all highpoly stuff.

I will be adding more images as I go, but for now, these are the latest I cooked.

Comments, crits and freelance gigs are most welcome! :)

mobileLifterTextures.jpg

powerGeneratorTextures.jpg

columnTextures.jpg
  • leopadua3d
    Hi everyone!

I'm adding an image of the Carrier tractor I've modeled. I have been busy with it for the past couple of days, sort of a weekend project, and I think I'm finally happy with the textures I got on it so far.

The idea behind the entire scene is that history is shown thru the presence of new and old technology. So in the same way we can see a brand new jet being towed by a tractor from the 70's, I think its feasible to think that I can have one on this scene as well.

So I tried to convey usage and age on the textures.

I'm looking forward to feedback.

cheers!

carrierTractorTextures.jpg
  • BBFirefly
    Everything looks, frankly, sick. Really nice work. What's your total poly count for the complete high poly scene, or at least the scene in post #49?
  • leopadua3d
    Hi BBFirefly,

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you like it thus far. ;)

So far, the scene as #49 has 5.1mi. But I know there is quite some room for improvement, though I don't think I will ever have the time to make it all low poly.

This is more less the poly count thus far:
    Mecha: 1mi
    Carrier Tractor: 450K (78K each tire, 5 of them)
    Hoist: 50K
    Column (as seen textured): 85K
    Mobile Lifter: 145K

thanks for your interest.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Hey! I remember this =P Awesome new stuff, I hope your gonna finish it :)

and Corona render is sweet, I find myself using it more and more.
  • Atokal
  • leopadua3d
    Hi,

Thanks for the compliments!

I'm sending a progress of the Hoist textures. I'm not 100% sure on them, but its something.

I plan to improve the main cabling texture, as I want it to be some kind of fabric, something similar to a fire hose with wear and tearing.

As always, C&Cs are most welcomed.

//EDIT: NEW VERSION ON THE NEXT POST, IMAGE REMOVED.
  • leopadua3d
    Hi there,

just a small update to the Hoist, I have fixed some of the textures and seams that looked a bit off on the previous version as well as the cable.

C&Cs are welcomed.

Cheers!
    Hoist_textures2.jpg
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    ooh thats nice, cant wait to see everything compiled in the scene.
  • leopadua3d
    Tnx for your kind words!

next challenge is...the Mecha! woaa.. that will give me a headache. hehe
  • Kobalt Kiwii
    Offline / Send Message
    Kobalt Kiwii polycounter lvl 6
    This is awesome man, would love to see an update on the whole environment :D
  • killazzz
    Everything looks great modeling wise, I haveto admit though the texture work on everything thus far looks not so good in my opinion. The only one that looks relatively believable to me is the generator, but it still could use more surface grunge and edge detail. Im not familiar with Corona renderer, so not sure how these textures were generated, but it all reads really generic with grunge everywhere which isn't really true to reality.
    I highly recommend you get started on low poly mesh's for baking as this will help sooo much with doing better textures around detail like bolts and seams, and ultimately being functional in an engine such as UE4/UDK/CryEngine which would allow you to do some killer lighting. All your high poly work looks fantastic, especially the mech, its just not being shown well with the textures currently.
    Thats my two cents anyways, hope that helps with some direction =)
  • leopadua3d
    Hi Killazzz,

Thanks for your feedback. I will keep working on the textures trying to add more realism and purpose.

I will keep posting my progress.

Cheers!
  • leopadua3d
    Hi there.

I was not happy with the mobile lifter textures and decided I should do another version.

Hopefully this one is more convincing.

C&Cs are welcomed. :)

mobileLifterTextures2_small.jpg
  • leopadua3d
    Hi everyone,

Just a small update... I did the Column texture again, and I think now its more "functional".

Obviously, given the number of columns on the scene, I will have to come up with a few variations to this in order to reduce the similarities.

I hope you like it. :)

C&Cs are welcome.

columnTextures2.jpg
  • leopadua3d
    Hi guys,

Yesterday I decided to texture an old model of mine that I had sitting, and I will most likely include it on the warehouse scene... somewhere in the background.

The crates are not clean by any means...but since I had them laying around, I just added for the sake of a preview.

I tried to address the concern expressed by Killazz, and did my best to make my textures reflect some usage.

Looking forward to your critique.

telescopicHandlerTextures.jpg

All the best,
  • leopadua3d
    Hi there,

I just wanted to share new WIP for the scene. on the original concept there is a "Passenger stairs" close to the mecha, which is generally used while manufacturing airplanes and tall stuff that require staff to go inside and out all the time.

So, I decided to do a version of it. C&C are welcomed.

previewMobileStairs.jpg

Cheers!
  • leopadua3d
    Hi,

Just another update on the stair's vehicle. I think I'm calling this done in terms of modeling, and I should start UV and textures soon.

Hopefully, someone will pass by and give me feedback.

previewMobileStairs2.jpg
  • tulkas09
    Offline / Send Message
    tulkas09 polycounter lvl 7
    The mobile lifter way better now, the older textures were very noisy. And now with UE4 not going to UDK right? Also your work it's awesome can't say anything bad about! with PBR would be better too
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I'm itching to see this all come together! :)
  • leopadua3d
    Hi guys,

Another update on the self-propelled stairs model.

I will need to unwrap and texture the stairs case and a few other parts.

Looking forward to comments and crits.

cheers!

previewMobileStairs_textures.jpg