Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Josh Dina

Replies

• KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    KMiklas polycounter lvl 9
    Shrike wrote: »
    The truck thing looks nice and its well executed, but something about the proportions is strange. It looks very small, like an ATV / Quad bike. I dont know what to change, but maybe put a scale example in some of the pictures like a human silhouette so it dosnt look as wierd. Maybe its the tires giving a false impulse but I cant tell for sure.
    If I imagine myself standing next to it, I cannot think of tires that would have dimensions and grip like that. Theyre like small tires that got scaled up. Also a bump map / displacement / detail normal would help defining the size, right now it looks like a toy.

The main reason why it looks like a toy are too smooth edges and too wide gaps between the body parts. Besides, the white material is too glossy for a car paint, what yet increases the toy feeling.

Also, the car looks very lightweight (suspension didnt "sit" down, looks very stiff).

Anyway, it looks really nice. I love the design and overal proportions! :)
  • fayesmith
    Offline / Send Message
    fayesmith polycounter lvl 7
    Edit: Can I have anyone who is encountering the page warning, please let me know? And possibly what country you are accessing from?

Thanks!

Tried your site again today, now it says it's not available.
    I'm in the UK.
    Tried it in Opera and it also has a "malicious site" warning.
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    fayesmith: Thanks man.

Website should work now! :) Please let me know if it doesn't!

y9u5.jpg
    w34w.jpg
  • Sheers
    Nice engine you got there. Keep it up homie!
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    KMiklas wrote: »
    The main reason why it looks like a toy are too smooth edges and too wide gaps between the body parts. Besides, the white material is too glossy for a car paint, what yet increases the toy feeling.

Also, the car looks very lightweight (suspension didnt "sit" down, looks very stiff).

Anyway, it looks really nice. I love the design and overal proportions! :)

Ah, good objection

I would certainly add a silhouette for scale, the concept had it aswell for that reason

Engine looks nice!
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I went back and adjusted some things and did some new renders. Hopefully it is less "Toy-ish" lol.
    3gEIo0.png
    HnFpcb.png
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    You should invest some time and work on your material definition and texture work as i scrolled through the thread you showcased some nice high poly modeling but never took any time to work on bringing it to life with a nice material or texture. It was a basic solid color and dial adjustment you can quickly do in Marmoset.

I received feedback as i was moving to the next stage in my hard surface study bassically i can make the most detail high poly model but if i never spend the time to make it come to life it will just be thrown off as a cgmodel. What i love seeing the most with hs from paul or tor is how real they look the detail does help but it can be a 50/50 trade. Even looking back at my weekly there all a few days work and material slapped on in a few hours that why i stopped and started to focus on unifying the whole process
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    None of this is in marmoset. These are all high polies. None of them were baked and textured. That is why they are mostly all a play on shaders no textures. I am working right now on a few things that include texture work.
    Thanks for the feedback. :)
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    I meant more as you can recreate these render quickly enough in Marmoset Toolbag for example by just adjusting dials and slapping on the standard materials. It what I did for the weekly, as a folio shot it really turns down the appeal of the model. It was just a example, of why it important to spend some time and really take it the next 30%
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    I meant more as you can recreate these render quickly enough in Marmoset Toolbag for example by just adjusting dials and slapping on the standard materials. It what I did for the weekly, as a folio shot it really turns down the appeal of the model. It was just a example, of why it important to spend some time and really take it the next 30%

I don't mean to be rude... but, where are you getting 30% from? A high poly is only part of the process, then you have to make a low poly, then unwrap, then texture, and from there refine. So in reality a high poly in most cases is only 25% of the process. Not 70%.

I simply never had the time to get something like this fully finished as a game model. My current job does not give me much time at all for 3d (Maybe a few hours a week if I'm lucky). So I spend time getting better at creating high polies and following complicated subject designs.

Like I said, I am working on some stuff that are low poly to put in my portfolio at the moment.
  • sargentcrunch
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    I should have put take it to the next step the 30% was a random arbitrary number, like give it 110%.

Check out the portfolio thread and browse around on what you can do to better yourself from the crowd

Here JurrassicPark folio this one is his motorcycle the texture work really brings it to life:
    http://bevel.it/167212/1682792/gallery/yahama-yzr-m1
  • sargentcrunch
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    I should have put take it to the next step the 30% was a random arbitrary number, like give it 110%.

Check out the portfolio thread and browse around on what you can do to better yourself from the crowd

Here JurrassicPark folio this one is his motorcycle the texture work really brings it to life:
    http://bevel.it/167212/1682792/gallery/yahama-yzr-m1

I definitely agree my models can really be brought to life if I textured them. Hopefully sooner rather then later. By the way that motorcycle is insanely awesome. ;)
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand was mainly suggesting you should work on a full assets being high/low/texture. I feel the hummer your currently working on will round you off as a good modeler. But your portfolio is missing complete assets to showcase you can do it all, as I was told when I showcased my weekly.

Anyways yeah that was a nice motorcycle, I have one in my apartment complex just plain material the decal really make it stand out in Jurrassic.

On a side note I want to model a engine someday, they look to be the most complex in my Hard Surface study especially the hummer one you have
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up the hummer H2 before GDC and a 24 hour environment.
    Hummer h2:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118389&page=2

Made this before my flight out to GDC hehe
    environement2.jpg
    environement1.jpg