Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | August 2014 | Tilda / Mech

Replies

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @twoquiznos Welcome aboard!

@Nevermind1567 Great block-out there! Looks so clean and I think you pretty much nail the proportions. I'm so looking forward to this.

I could never nail down the forms just like that :P Would take me a few days to get close to it. With that said, this here is the closest I think I can match the concept art. Slimming down the hips further looks so wrong... Or I could lose her hip bones... Done first pass on her hair.
    10506698_10152585134055115_4794111565526552452_o.jpg
  • Kdawg
    Offline / Send Message
    Kdawg polycounter lvl 7
    @PryZern Looking very nice

@Nevermind1567 Your Tilda looks super fierce!

Everything looks great in this thread so far! Sorry my feedback is just praise but I'm learning myself!

This is my Tilda so far, having a pretty good time getting this done. Trouble with the face but it's getting there. This is my second full character I'm doing so fingers crossed!

I hope to do the Mech afterwards, but I'm having trouble with getting those smooth hard surfaces.
    tumblr_n9t683v1fj1tuext1o1_1280.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, by average, ppl in this challenge here spend the whole month working on a character. But if you're pretty good and fast, I suppose you can do two in the same length of time :P

@Kdawg I think you could move the her face a bit to the lower part of her head. I'm going to do the same with mine as well.
  • Base
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Hey, this seems really fun! I need a good character challenge anyways, put everything I've learned to work. I think I'll try out Tilda as well and see what I can do. I'll post up my initial sculpt later once I get it done. Good luck!
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Heya, @PyrZern, you're nailing the proportions much better than the last few rounds, but your facial features are a little weirdly aligned.
    Most important, I think, is that your neck isn't centered in the middle of the head; it's at the back.
    Gfram987.png
    I'd also sharpen up the corners of the eyes a bit, and fix up the position of the brow; yours is too convex and too close to the eye; the eyebrows don't match the concept. Hope this redline helps. You can probably get away with JUST reshaping the eyebrows to match.

Oh, and the hair could stand to be a bit puffier! It think it'd be worth it to push it to match the concept just a little more.
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    PyrZern: I'll probably do all mech detailing in substance painter. I like the proportion changes.

JordanLeigh: Thanks for the feedback, I completely agree. I have reworked the large panels.

Nevermind1567: Great start, and good advice too. Are the legs a little short right now? I'm looking forward to seeing more :)

twoquiznos: Nice blockout. Are you going to try sub-d modeling?

Kdawg: Nice start. I think you can move the belt/waist up about one belt width. Are you making the mech in zbrush?

--
    Thanks for the feedback!

I rebuilt most panels, lots left to do.
    tMhNsct.png
  • twoquiznos
    Offline / Send Message
    twoquiznos polycounter lvl 4
    DonEngland thanks and as for sub-d im not sure what that is im pretty much self taught so i dont know the correct names for things

if u could show me some examples that would be awesome or explain the concept
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @twoquiznos: No problem twoquiznos, I'm also self taught. For subdivision modelling you should check out the wiki: http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Subdivision_Surface_Modeling

I looks like you're using maya. When I tried out maya I found the documentation to be really useful.

good luck.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @Base Glad you decide to join up :)

@BagelHero Thanks for the paintover ! Yeah, I'm not done with the hair yet. You're right, the hair will be lots more puffier. I totally forgot about ear aligning with shoulder joint.

@DonEngland Coming along nicely man ! Love the knee guards.

In the hangout now, and working on Tilda :)
  • Abidus
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    @twoquiznos: nice start! I think if you put a couple of spheres and squash them and place them near the chest, then model around them, you'd be able to get the curvature of the armour looking better. Good luck!

@Pyrzern: Looking good so far! I think BagelHero's paintover will help you quite a bit in improving the head.

@DonEngland: Nice work man! Looks very clean. I'm interested in seeing what the back is going to look like with you, since that's something I'm still thinking about. Good luck moving forward!

---

I've been pretty busy with work so I haven't had much time to devote to this. This is where I'm at, at the moment. Moving and nudging things into place in zbrush, before taking it all back into 3ds max for the second retopo round. Very time consuming workflow, I'm sure there's a better way of going about this, but I'm fairly confident it will look alright in the end.

eceEpu6.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I made this mech like a year ago, it's kinda shit looking back at it but yeah. I started learning anatomy too and hope to enter one of these soon! newsite_2.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @AlexCatMasterSupreme Looks like a pretty cool miniature :P Was this before you started making crazily good texture ?

Slow day for me... Still working on Tilda's face. Might need to make her eyes a tad bigger/wider than the paintover. I just spent 3 hrs driving around, looking for Hale's Blue Boy syrup to make shaved ice... Nope... still did not find it. So lame...
  • Nevermind1567
    Offline / Send Message
    Nevermind1567 polycounter lvl 9
    Abidus: Somehow your blockout looks better than further progress. Maybe u shouldn't make the pieces of the armor so thin. It's harder to sculpt that way and u'r being distracted from the major shapes.
    ibz4hXkkIRwZeN.jpg

DonEngland: Ur mech is impressive so far, like the changes u made in the last post.:thumbup:
    If you need to build a portfolio, I suggest u concentrating on single model. Quality goes before quantity. ) Go for mech, u r good at it. To sculpt anime faces u should study facial anatomy first.

Kdawg: Not bad, try to keep human anatomy in mind.
    iREcjcgpyts2u.jpg

PyrZern: Looks fine so far. And gets better with each update. :thumbup:
    Mind the overpaint BagelHero made, the head has much work to do.

To everyone who's modeling mech: Please pay attention to it's relaxed pose and round forms.

My small update:
    ibjwJ0LKJzuWG6.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
    My small update:
    ibjwJ0LKJzuWG6.jpg

Looks awesome mate! Definitely got the likeness in the face and the anatomy looks sounds. Can't wait to see how yours turns out
  • twoquiznos
    Offline / Send Message
    @ donengland: awwwww i see and thanks for the link as for right now i prefer to do it by hand until i finish my uv mapping. after that i might just bring it to zbrush but ill play around with sub-d

@ abidus: wish i had seen ur tip earlier ill probably do that after i get basic colors on to make sure my proportions r right

@ nevermind1567: thanks for the basic skeletion outline i did notice a few of us on here were starting to ignore the more of a squat position myself included lol though i caught it the other day

started to mess with the back a bit i made a few different ones but im satisfied for right now
  • renato.medeiros
    Offline / Send Message
    renato.medeiros polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, Greats concepts!! I'm in for this challenge.
  • bryandsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    bryandsilva polycounter lvl 2
    Heres what Im currently doing in Blender, learned rigging ( I how to do it but always forget the steps, barely rig my characters I do it in zbrush)...Theres some mesh going threw other pieces but I'll bring it into zbrush to fix and from there bring it into marmoset again, then lastly I'll start working on her base

Tilda%20b3d%20wip.png?psid=1
  • Mad Duck
    Offline / Send Message
    Mad Duck polycounter lvl 3

My small update:

That is so cool. the proportions are almost perfect, making it in a relaxed pose really seemed to help! I'll have to try that next time, but for now hopefully posing afterwards will give a tolerable result.

I'm still going at mine, will post progress when the clothes are done.
  • bryandsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nevermind1567 what matcap are you using theres one similar in blender if not exact?
  • DenO
    Offline / Send Message
    DenO polycounter lvl 9

My small update:
    ibjwJ0LKJzuWG6.jpg

that looks promising! great proportions, I hope you find the time to finish it.

I finally started. That's where I'm currently at right now.

i6x3YKl.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Update: Gotta run now. Will post comments later. But I'm seeing GREAT STUFF HERE guys !!
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback.

@Nevermind1567: Thanks. I'll focus on the mech for now. Your model is looking great.

@DenO: I like the proportions you have going there. Looking forward to seeing more.

@bryandsilva: The clothing issue might be a skinning problem. Are you planning on animating this?

PyrZern: Right now it looks like the eyes are a bit high relative to the rest of the features. The limbs look a little bit thick. You're getting closer.

---

Thanks for the feedback. I've added most panels and made a few proportion adjustments.
    HrF77mq.png
    Next up fixing the shoulder and building back panels.
  • JordanLeigh
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland Looks boss! Can't wait to you texture this guy, I think it's going to turn out great
  • thepapercut
    Seems like everyone is steamrolling through this challenge with some great looking stuff! I finally made the switch to Max 2015, and started in on the concept, but I feel like I'm moving at a snails pace for some reason and getting results I'm not very happy with. What do you guys think?
    WIP1_zps7200863c.jpg
    I'll post individual critiques and comments tomorrow.
  • twoquiznos
    Offline / Send Message
    @donengland looks gucci what program r u using?

also whats ur polycount looking like?

@DenO looks great also like how the hair looks full and i agree ur proportions look good
  • dchung
    Offline / Send Message
    dchung polycounter lvl 11
    Started on my blockout of the body in zbrush , also tried out some polypainting test on the face to check what i need to tweak later. I try to do that usually in the early stages to lookout for stuff i can tweak :)

@ DenO Really nice gesture and start so far , maybe you can push the stylization and proportions as you progress .

@ PyrZern I like the volumes in her body , for the hair you might try adding some more volume to it . Also maybe the lips could be relaxed very slightly and eyes could be bigger ?

@ thepapercut good start :D might wanna bring the leg position slightly back in the side view to balance out the pose :)

Tilda%201st%20pass.jpg

Tilda%20face%201st%20pass.jpg
  • bryandsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland wrote: »

@bryandsilva: The clothing issue might be a skinning problem. Are you planning on animating this?

Yes it did cause some problems but it was minor, I first rigged her body first, then the clothing on top of that. then accessories, and he fibers. I then fixed the pieces so that they would work on each bone, she is pose ready now...after I took her to zbrush to move the errors the clothing gave me and exported on to blender and exporting again, this time with "write normals"

Anyways heres what she looks like posed in marmoset

Tilda%20wip%204.png?psid=1
  • DenO
    Offline / Send Message
    DenO polycounter lvl 9
    DonEngland looks good man, clean forms. I'm curious to see how you will model the small details and bake the normal maps.

PyrZern she looks good. Her lower legs are a bit to thick compare to the concept and the hair could be more voluminous.

@ dchung good blockout. her arms and legs are to short that's why she looks a bit tiny.

I tweaked her proportions a little bit further and blockout her clothes and weapon

v8pBSgu.jpg
  • Abidus
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nevermind1567: Thanks for a paintover! Hopefully it looks a little better this time around. Your model is looking hot so far! really great work.

@DonEngland: Looking good man! keep it up.

--

Second topo pass on the front armour complete, looks better I think. Still might need another pass but I'm moving on to do the back and small details now.

Also, decided I wasn't feeling the Gattling gun, so I'm experimenting with a grenade launcher/flame thrower looking weapon instead.

NoS6vKt.jpg

bonus BPR sillyness

QXIpKuL.jpg
  • iadagraca
    Offline / Send Message
    iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
    I think i'd like to try a low poly character. Since I'm completely noob to low poly :D

Granted being new to low poly i think i'd need help.

Mobile: 2k Triangles, 512 Maps

is what I'll do and i'll create Tilda in a similar style to the reference. I'll definitely be on hangouts too!
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @JordanLeigh: Thanks, are you still working on slug terra?

@thepaperbut: I like what you have so far, keep going.

@twoquiznos: I'm currently using sub-d techniques in blender. That previous render was ~1 million triangles.

@DenO: Thanks. I'll be adding small details in substance painter.
    I like your proportion adjustments, looking forward to seeing more.

@Adidus: Thanks. I almost went with a flamethrower, but I'm trying to match the concept as much as possible. You're making good progress.

--
    I've updated the shoulder and added medium scale detail to the top panel.
    vtCCsjF.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @dchung She looks great ! Her expression is a bit off from the mischievous look from the concept art though. Is that intentional ? And don't forget to flare up the side of her skirt a bit :)

@DenO Love the style you have going on. Also, very pretty hair without using a crap ton of hair strands like I'm doing !! Gonna have to try that next time now.

@Abidus Grenade launcher looks nice. It feels like his bicep is a tad too long... Weird.

@DonEngland Keynote ?

Made lots of adjustments around. I pulled up her belt and skirt. Also tried to add more hair volume, will add more.
    52f799fd17ad1f2110c7358744719cd02ae143f4.jpg?1407475459
  • JordanLeigh
    Offline / Send Message
    @DonEngland yeah I am :) I'll make a thread for him soon, been busy lately so not made to much progress. It's been fun making him though.

Your mechs looking sweet, can't wait to see another full body shot to see where he's at.

@PyrZern Looks good pal but I think the legs need some work, they look quite bulky atm. I also thing you should focus on the likeness more in the face to give her that cute look in the concept
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Bryandsilva and PyrZern: Both of you should take a step back and work a little more on the likeness in her face if you really want to nail the concept.
    PyrZern: Her nose feels to small, to "animeish" in the concept she's got a pretty defined nose.
    Den0: I really like your progress so far :) good job.
    Dchung: Her eyes feel a little to wide atm.

I'll go for a midpoly diffuse only version of Tilda. Hopefully I can finish her. We'll see.
    I started with a block-out sculpt, which I'll retopo later on.
    I'm not used to do characters and my anatomy knowledge needs a loooot of improvement, haha.

WipV1.jpg?dl=1
    I'm such a noob :D
  • Kdawg
    Offline / Send Message
    Kdawg polycounter lvl 7
    @PyrZern I think it's looking very good. I do agree with some of the other comments about the face proportions being off from the concept. Also perhaps her ankles could be

@Nevermind1567 Thanks for the feedback! I fixed up her legs a bit! Your face is looking great, and the curves are really defined!

So I think my arms might be too long? I'm having a lot of trouble getting the face to a point that I like. Otherwise I'm happy with how I'm progressing. The hair and fur are both placeholders atm.

tumblr_n9zjwucXWE1tuext1o1_1280.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @JordanLeigh I kind of like her bulkier her legs though, cuz her bust is also a bit bustier than in the concept :P But I will work on her face some more. It's so hard T_T

@Fenyce You're getting there :P I will see about the pointy nose.

@Kdawg Her arms do look pretty long. Try shortening them by half a hand ?
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @PryZern: That image was rendered with blender cycles. I like how you relaxed Tilda's sleeves.

--
    I added more medium scale detail and some screws/rivets. The back/top panel needs adjustment.
    1jioRQn.png
    Blender render.
  • DenO
    Offline / Send Message
    DenO polycounter lvl 9
    DonEngland man that looks awesome! the only thing I've noticed is the upper front part is almost flat while in the concept it's round.

I'm trying to capture the likeness of the face.

rMu768t.jpg
  • bryandsilva
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing special here but I think I going to keep her posed something like this, I like it...after, bring in zbrush, fix the skinning, bring in blender again, export with normals and finally marmoset for testing

Tilda%20wip5.png?psid=1
  • thepapercut
    Thanks guys for the comments and critiques! No wip shot today as I'm still working on the head and such, there isn't much new to show.

Some words though:
    @bryandsilva: I like the build, and color choices you've got going! I'll be honest in that I'm not that into the pose though. The weapon seems more the type she would pose by holding rather than leaning on it.
    @denO: That face is pretty spot on.
    @Donengland: Thanks for the feedback! I think you fully captured the concept. Can't wait to see what the finished product looks like.
    @Kdawg: Really nice build, but I would say you're assumption is correct; the arms are a bit long.
    @pryzern: Really digging everything you got going sir. Love that flesh color, could I get a hex color code for that from you?
    @dchung: thanks for the critique! Really like your sculpt so far, especially the face. Keep at it!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    DenO wrote: »
    DonEngland man that looks awesome! the only thing I've noticed is the upper front part is almost flat while in the concept it's round.

I'm trying to capture the likeness of the face.

rMu768t.jpg

None of mine could ever lineup nicely like that... ever.
    Keep going man !!

On an unrelated story, a FB friend of mine (also know her in person actually) just told me I had too much up-skirt going on, and her shirt was too low to actually grab on to her boobs. <_<"
  • Kdawg
    Offline / Send Message
    Kdawg polycounter lvl 7
    @Den0 awesome job matching the face so far!

@bryansilva It looks like her torso is too long, and she doesn't have enough hips. Since she is on rollerskates I feel like that pose wouldn't work. Maybe check out some references of people on skates?

@PyrZern Haha yeah those boobs would definitely fall out in real life! But this is fantasy, so they can hold themselves up!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Good night all :)

I remade the face. Somehow I messed up her lips T_T
    0d3381c684cecd3da11416f5bbade955.jpg
  • JordanLeigh
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland wrote: »
    @PryZern: That image was rendered with blender cycles. I like how you relaxed Tilda's sleeves.

--
    I added more medium scale detail and some screws/rivets. The back/top panel needs adjustment.
    1jioRQn.png
    Blender render.

looks sick! I think you need to make the body part more rounder though tbh. It's most noticeable in the back/side shot. Looks nice though mate
  • Abidus
    Offline / Send Message
    @bryandsilva: Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you got way ahead of yourself with the texturing and rigging, when the model itself could still use a lot of work to be honest. The face and the upper body anatomy in particular are odd-looking and somewhat masculine, and don't really reflect the soft and delicate forms of the concept. Keep trying!

@PyrZern: Good progress on the body (you're getting better at this :P). The face is still looking a little wierd; I think the nose is too sharp, and the eyes should be a little lower and a little bigger. The eyebrows (I'm sure they're placeholders) are throwing me off as well. Keep at it!

@DonEngland: Shaping up really nicely! great job so far. For a critique, I think you need to clean up the back and sides (especially those hip-panel things). The shape of the back itself looks rather awkward at the moment. Keep up the good work!

---

This is where I'm at now. Really struggling with hard surfaces in zBrush (back is still early wip).

umTOvG9.jpg

2mxaDXz.jpg

Edit:

More progress

ZhCu8v1.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @thepapercut I'm using Matcap for her skin right now. ("gw_leigh") But this is what Photoshop says...
    0ec3bb00794c7d0a79185fdecafa2ad2.png

@Abidus Thanks man !!
  • twoquiznos
    Offline / Send Message
    @kdawg: hey man looks good but i also think ur thighs might be too long or her legs r too short hard to tell with clothes on

@DenO it looks great the only thing i can really say is try and relax the top eye area a little more she looks more relaxed in the concept urs looks more active but ur skills r amazing i really love how quick ur able to get the likeness down

and heres a quick update:
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    @DenO: Thanks for the feedback, I've worked on adding the rounded form back in.
    Your likeness looks great. Only thing I noticed is that it seems like the nose should be tipped slightly higher and the chin a bit tighter .

@PyrZern: She's looking good. You might want to broaden the nose a bit. It looks a bit pinched atm.

@JordanLeigh: Thanks for the feedback, I've rounded it out a bit more.

@Abidus: Thanks for the feedback. Right now I have the side hip panels attached to a load bearing pelvis. Maybe I should add another panel underneath it to help cover the leg as the exposed? I see you have that same panel attached to the leg.

--

Thanks for the feedback
    I rounded out some panels and made a new back.
    v32PD9O.png
  • DenO
    Offline / Send Message
    DenO polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys!

twoquiznos you right. the upper eyelid definitely seem to be more relaxed in the concept. You have a great blockout so far, keep going!

Small update. I started detailing the sleeves.

seoAsPF.jpg
  • thepapercut
    @pyrzern: Thanks man for doing that! I have no idea what matcap, but from the way you phrased that sentence I'm assuming it does use hex color code.