Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - High Tech Ancient Ruins

Prabesh
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Prabesh polycounter lvl 4
Hi :) I was thinking of joining in the fun and try to concept a high tech ancient ruins..... here are some of my thumbnails

Replies

• Prabesh
    Offline / Send Message
    In this one figuring out the lighting of the place and slowly starting to think about the architecture stuff..... efodsU9.jpg
  • Prabesh
    Offline / Send Message
    blocking things out and testing more lighting and placements of things....
    KduiatM.jpg
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    curious why you're blocking things out when the final concept is going to be 2D. You just planning a paint over?
  • WarrenM
    I can't speak for him but that's something I see a lot of environment concept guys doing. It helps to eliminate perspective issues and you can futz with composition in a 3D environment before committing...
  • Prabesh
    Offline / Send Message
    yap I am planning a paint over :) and what WarrenM said its true but I also do it cause it helps me with scale of things....... so i just have a random box all over to represent a person height.... now I have an idea of how big the playing space is and how things can fit in......... and another thing is I can drop in whatever base materials to help me get started like the pic bellow....so i get free patterns and random architecture elements with an image...... not sure how much of it will be used yet..... didn't model things so well for this so things are little warped..... but it helps to get the brain working and thinking about things :) and it takes no time :).....6ZvvStL.jpg
  • LandSknecht
    Offline / Send Message
    LandSknecht polycounter lvl 5
    What an interesting approach. I'll have to learn something about 3D sometime! As to the map, the warmth of the light and the length of the shadows seems like it will work great with the foliage in your paint over.
  • Prabesh
    Offline / Send Message
    little update on where I am.... just saw the Liandri WIP VisDev example of the new Unreal Tournament and realigned I was going the wrong way..... here is where I am at the moment....DOeSTqB.jpg
    I think I need more visual clarity.... so I am thinking of removing the railing and still have some things there to act as a cover for the player with out blocking the view of the place....and probably going to add some different flower and light for more color.....also feel free to critic it if you see I am missing something.....
  • Prabesh
    Offline / Send Message
    update on where it is atm.. here is a break down....

1 after finding out I was going the wrong direction... decided to go back to my earlier idea of face with mouth open as bridge... and started to painting in things and placing in photo.... while trying to make it so there is room for players to kite and move around..... also added gates so player have more movability and cover if they want to use it..... also to show there is more playable space...

2 more paint overs and placing of photos and trying to unify things... and placing detail and things in the side of the player space...

3 started to place in shadows from the 3d block out from earlier....

4 playing around with more lights and trying to unify things...

5 played around with color temperature and tried to add more atmosphere.... and character for scale... and adding lights for the high-tech look...

6 after getting some notes from others fixed the perspective and things....also now not sure if I want to have character in their so added more moving elements in the foreground and try to make the place fell more alive and aged......
    m1MPmO7.jpg
  • Prabesh
    Offline / Send Message
    and this is where I am atm I think im almost done but still not 100% on the character.... still have few hours to figure things out....DbIQjYF.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Cool! Very tribal. No main critiques just keep going as long as you can :)
  • Prabesh
    Offline / Send Message
    ummm so I decided to keep the character and kill the red eye... they were fighting for attention and thought having the character for sale was more important.... plus got to show little gameplay element with it.... so yeah.... I'm calling it done for now :) and thanks FirebornForm :)B7Ns9rr.jpg
  • Prabesh
    Offline / Send Message
    I saw few mistakes so made some changes this is my final submission..s0njxKE.jpg