Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Liandri Arena

Wanted to explore the gladiator/arena aspect of the UT world.

Started with a sketch for the stadium, but I will be doing the arena itself as well.

bRBEYMp.png

Update!
kQqcLYR.png

Replies

• Bansheesix
    Offline / Send Message
    Bansheesix polycounter lvl 4
  • Delofasht
    Fascinating, great sense of scale, awesome idea. Something about that whole stadium feeling seems really fun. Good luck with that, the arena aspect is good too. Good call on the choice of subject for the theme.
  • Aperson4321
    Amazing! Great take on the UT style!

Only problem is that the eye candy for the players is only straight up to some extent, I don't know if you can look up that high in unreal games. Also the crowd of people might be a bit distracting for the competitive player aspect of the game.

How about tilting the arena 90 degrees, and saying it got Gravity manipulators in it or something. That way you could have the crowd and eye candly at the right places, I made a shitty sketch of it:
  • Gooba
    Only problem is that the eye candy for the players is only straight up to some extent, I don't know if you can look up that high in unreal games. Also the crowd of people might be a bit distracting for the competitive player aspect of the game.

This was my intention. I did not want the "eye candy" to distract the player, although it is there if you want to look around.

Also, while the crowd may be distracting at times, I think the awesome atmosphere of a crowd cheering you on far out-weighs the negatives.

Did a paintover of one of the screenshots!

kQqcLYR.png
  • threadlock
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Amazing work! I really hope Epic goes in this direction.
  • WarrenM
    This is really nice! I think there's a weird scale issue that happens when you see the panels that tile on the upper floor and then the giant wall panels on the wall below the ramps. I think those lower panels are just too large or something.

But really, really nice work!
  • Don Moahskarton
    Offline / Send Message
    Don Moahskarton polycounter lvl 7
    Wowow ! I love you idea ! Truly awesome !
    As said, the stadium feels really great, and the perspective is fascinating.
  • LandSknecht
    Offline / Send Message
    LandSknecht polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing! Great take on the UT style!

How about tilting the arena 90 degrees, and saying it got Gravity manipulators in it or something. That way you could have the crowd and eye candly at the right places, I made a shitty sketch of it:

Not to be contradictory but I'd say the perspective he's got better simulates the coliseum feel everyone is so fond of from movies like Gladiator. Pulling the crowd down would diminish the arena pit feeling and make the spectacle of peeking over its lip via rocket jumps or lifts far less satisfying. As for the distraction of the crowd, I feel this could be remedied by the hue and opacity of the dome surrounding combatants.

Love the arena look, it would certainly take me back to the campaign of unreal championship 2 (no love for UC2). Hopefully Liandri can come out with another model like Devastation to use on it as well :P.
  • wez
    I like this theme and I agree Unreal Championship 2 was the unreal that really REALLY had it's shit together for a tournament feel as well as amazing character and the best of the Egyptian environments. And those cutscenes man [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2zTJ8w_kI8&quot;]Unreal Championship 2 - All Cinematics - YouTube[/ame] <3
  • Gooba
    I tried to fix the scaling issue on the deck paintover, and added detail, cleaned them up a little.

h73jokg.png

1InKPbz.jpg
  • Milanbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Milanbon polycounter lvl 2
    That is looking great.I especially like that cold lighting,it really gives you that arena/obstacle course look.
  • Kobalt Kiwii
    Offline / Send Message
    Kobalt Kiwii polycounter lvl 6
    This is great, always loved sci-fi arena designs across the board and this feels perfect.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Man, love this variation on the old deck 13. The whole stadium skybox puts it into a whole new dimension.