Home Career & Education

Gumroad Tutorials List

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
EDIT (3/26/16): This thread got too long to properly edit. Also it was getting a bit unruly. So we've moved it to the Polycount Wiki:

http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Gumroad_Tutorial_List

Please keep posting new gumroads here, any sales you all have, etc. Just my advice but to use your name or company name. Listing a tutorial by X42dogg does not tell the buyer anything about you. That's just my 2 cents though. The list will get updated either way. Even for X42dogg.

There's a ton of great Artists doing gumroad tutorials these days. Here's a list to get started. Feel free to post others that you know of (Some of these fit into multiple categories. I'll do the best I can) and I'll add them.
Pinterest picture:
gumroad-logo-bigpng1336596202

Replies

• Ambivalent
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    hey jeff small sugestion if you`re going to work with the + system , maybe you could have the + link to the individual posts of the people giving a positive review of the content so people dont have to search the topic for them.

something like this

Dave Rapoza https://gumroad.com/daverapoza
    ¬ Bog Witch: +

sorry for suggesting extra work :P if dual management of a post was possible i`d do it for you
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated. I added that code to the + thing Ravenslayer. If people post the link in the format:

¬ Bog Witch: + [/ URL]

That would help a ton.
  • Ambivalent
  • Joe March
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for these!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated.

Added + where I saw them in the thread. Let me know if I missed any.
  • Ambivalent
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
  • MooseCommander
    Thanks for featuring my video on here. I'll be doing more soon, and I'll make sure to check in here when I do.
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Wow, I feel silly never hearing of Gumroad before. Feels good supporting the author directly too!
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    James Zapata, light colour and mood.

Barley covers anything in the title. Buy it if you want to see a wandering diatribe about a mediocre painting. No idea why i bought it to be honest.

Just a quote from the video "The sun is yellow"... Yes. he said that.
  • inflict3d
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    Muzz, oh man, it's really odd quote. I think the problem is that not every experienced artist has enough skills to teaching somebody. In that way it's often look like good drawing stream and nothing more.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    I watched Graphic Composition For Environments from Eytan Zana https://gumroad.com/eytanzana

I've come back and watched it a few times over the past few days. He included his basic brush set for it. Nice if you're into following along exactly. There's good tips and insight into his thought process. He talks about clipping masks for painting. It's a great primer into doing landscape/environment pieces to read well with just a few values. Totally worth the $5 and a +.

Best qoute: 'apply that cheddar'

¬ Graphic Composition For Environments: + [/ URL]

Edit: Updated
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Inflict, I think honestly the problem is the generally accepted method of getting good at painting today is to just paint from observation so much that you internalize what things look like under specific contexts instead of understanding what is actually going on.

So when if comes to explaining... i think a lot of these guys don't actually know why this stuff happens and so they just parrot things they have heard.

This isn't meant as disrespect to these guys btw, it's more an observation on learning techniques.

Disclaimer: broad generalizations liberally applied.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Muzz, that's in interesting point. Another thing that I find odd in some of these recent popular painting videos is the use of terms like "concept" and "design", whereas what actually happens is a lot of random stuff eventually becoming something thanks to happy accidents and tweaking. Now of course this is not by any means a bad approach - I suppose I just tend to be more attracted to "old school" problem solving and stroke economy.

Also, I am not quite sure what to think about the lack of video preview for many of these paid downloadable recordings. On one hand it makes the (small) purchase a bit of a fun surprise, but on the other hand I find it odd to pay for something upfront without knowing what I am getting into, especially in our day and age. But I guess this is just up to the individual artists to decide wether or not they want to give a small teaser or not.

Lastly, something clicked when I was watching another one of these videos, this time by another artist : after a few minutes of watching I realized that the person was closely following a reference image as a basis for the painting/collage being worked on ... but that reference image, essential in understanding the creative process at play, was never clearly mentioned nor shown on screen - it just occurred to me after a few minutes because I was lucky to have known of that image before. That obviously made me see that video in a very different light :/

On an unrelated note, this was a very good purchase made a few months ago :
    http://10digitalmistakes.weebly.com/

This is not a video, but still, a very solid PDF hosted on Gumroad.
  • maga
    Offline / Send Message
    maga null
    Hey there ! This thread is super helpful !

Im one of the instructors at DT and wanted to try my hand at making some stuff, I love teaching so I am giving this a shot.

I am doing Topogun Basics for starters abd will be proceeding with a full project upload with all the steps during the coming weeks. If you think that is deserving of a pin I would be very happy indeed.
    http://gumroad.com/mgs3d

Thanks for keeping it updated, bookmarked it a few days ago!
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Muzz wrote: »
    James Zapata, light colour and mood.

Barley covers anything in the title. Buy it if you want to see a wandering diatribe about a mediocre painting. No idea why i bought it to be honest.

Just a quote from the video "The sun is yellow"... Yes. he said that.

everything u say is filled with magic, or maybe it's the way you say it
  • asim
    Thanks for the list:thumbup:
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Pancakes, haha... I think?

Exactly Pior. I've been coming around recently that the status quo of how we teach 2d art is backwards, which is learning via analogy.

When we paint we are emulating real world physics, where the interplay of physical properties of light, and the effects of being a limited observer. There are empirical ways to determining how things should look, and for majority of the way we can be pretty accurate with basic mental constructions, yet it's an approach i see so rarely applied to art.

Also I'm kinda a little bummed that we are only highlighting the positive reviews instead of the negative in this thread. People who buy something usually want to like it, and the negative reviews are what will direct me to the ones i should be watching.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    If you all want a - on the negative ones just post and include the bb code and I can update it. Personally I worry that it would turn into a dog pile on people.

Just change the TITLE and edit the polycount post NUMBER):
    ¬ TITLE: - [/ URL]
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to see other peoples take on it though. But i don't think anyone is buying tutorials just for a chance to troll.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gcastro3d
    I'm not great at posting lengthy reviews. But i'll throw in my two cents.

I got really excited when all these tutorials starting popping up. I'm a big tutorial junkie, especially when it comes to concept art and drawing training.

I bought a total of 7 videos in one day assuming a couple might be so so, but hoping most would be epic. Of all the videos i purchased, the only one i really enjoyed and thought was the best bang for buck was Dave Rapoza's video. He explained everything he was doing and why very well. Great insight and highly recommended.

The other videos i purchased were:

Dan Luvisi's how to paint fur
    - Might not be a big deal since his videos are pretty cheap, but the technique was not great and the video was super short. I found better instruction from Aaron Blaise's youtube channel on painting fur.

James Zapata's Color, Light and Mood
    - I think Muzz summed this video up nicely. Lots of dead sound where the artist didn't know what to say or know what he was going to do. Many of these artists are not great instructors.

Nick Grindraux Sketch Process walkthrough pt. 1
    - I really like Nick's gallery. He's done amazing work, but the video was just ok for me. Had some photobashing info, but not as thorough as Maciej's video.

John Sweeney's Digital Illustraion theroy and process
    - Video was way too long for the image result. I did not enjoy the this process of photo collage and bashing to make the image. I don't think there was one part where the image was painted at all other than throwing in some strokes to make it look painted. Had some input, but the video could've been sped up for some of the redundant parts and maybe a different title for this.

Jonas De Ro's Sci Fi Env Design
    - Decent final image, but again too long with dead sound. More of a matte painting approach i would say. Just ok for me.

Eytan Zana's Graphic composition for env
    - I really wanted to like this one. I like Eytan's style. I like that i wasn't using photobashing (not that there's anything wrong with that) and I liked that it was focusing on Composition and not just a digital painting that he was doing. The instruction was lacking in this one as well. The images were cool though and i'm still tempting to buy more from Eytan to see his process and hope that his teaching skills improve and that he can explain his process better. I'll give this one another watch.

Maciej Kuciar's Character Illustration for Film pt. 1
    - This video was pretty solid actually. Good instruction and good final image. I knew that the process would involve photo bashing, but i didn't know how heavy it would be on photos. Like i've said, that's fine, it's a technique that is widely used in Concept Design. I would have liked a different title maybe as i didn't really see this as an illustration. I was a cool process to see for sure, but just not my cup o tea.

A couple disclaimers i'd like to add.

I am an animator/tech artist working in games, wishing i was doing concept/ilustration. I watch most of the videos while at work so they didn't have my full attention at times. Except for Dave's video. That had my full attention. hehe.

I wanted to get some better info on environment design with the videos i had purchased, but after going through them, I realized that none of them really compared to stuff i already had or Feng Zhu's design school videos on youtube. Even some of these artists already have free stuff to watch. The nice thing is that most of these are pretty affordable and allows you to support your favorite artist. I may be over gumroad for the time being though unless i am a fan of the artist or there's a really good review of a tutorial i don't have and is a must have. Let me know if you would like more in depth info on the videos i've purchased.

I think the key is finding the artists that are great instructors as well.

-George
  • oxygencube
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Never heard of Gumroad until this post but it looks promising. I know they might not want to do it but allowing buyers to rate and comment on the videos would really help to separate the good from bad while allowing the best creators to charge more.
  • maga
    Offline / Send Message
    maga null
    I also agree that including 1 min previews on youtube are great, I think anyone who is considering creating videos for the platform should do them. 1 min snippets from my videos seem to have helped people make the decision.
  • retleks
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    I have bought a LOT of these, and by far, Dave's is the best. Really hoping to see more from him.
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
  • Sunn
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    I have seen a few 3ds max training videos on here, but is there one that focuses on UV mapping and unwrapping? I am having such a difficult time with this, I could use the help. Thanks!

(PS. Bog Witch was awesome and definitely gets a recommendation from me!)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Grassetti keeps adding new anatomy videos so if I buy the design and anatomy package do I get the new ones he adds after Ive bought it as well?
    retleks wrote: »
    I have bought a LOT of these, and by far, Dave's is the best. Really hoping to see more from him.

by dave do you mean dave rapoza? or david lesperance? or someone else? theres a few daves haha
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Ged wrote: »
    Grassetti keeps adding new anatomy videos so if I buy the design and anatomy package do I get the new ones he adds after Ive bought it as well?

Yes afaik, I picked it up the other day and the library is ever expanding :)
  • Fogbrain
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    Torch wrote: »
    Yes afaik, I picked it up the other day and the library is ever expanding :)

How is Grasetti's tutorials? I'm interested since he's pushing out so many tutorials it's amazing.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I thought they're pretty awesome and I would say on the same level as Scott Spencer's tutorials, maybe not as in-depth as Eaton but still very informative.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Fogbrain wrote: »
    How is Grasetti's tutorials? I'm interested since he's pushing out so many tutorials it's amazing.

I love them! they're quite good and well explained/presented. Also for the price it seems you can't beat it. 22 bucks gets you a load of goodies.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    cool Ive just bought grassettis anatomy tutorials, havent worked on a character in a while so it will be good to go through some anatomy again.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I love dave rapozas concept art but this tutorial seems to be focused on a comic book style image? would be great to have a concept art tutorial with all brushes from him :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Abidus
    Offline / Send Message
    Abidus polycounter lvl 10
    Fogbrain wrote: »

Easily the most worth it out of all the tutorials I've seen on Gumroad yet (at least with regards to modelling/sculpting). Not only is it the best bang for your buck by far, he's even compressed the files to tiny sizes (~90mb) while maintaining good video quality, so they're easy to quick to download and transfer.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
  • inflict3d
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    best teaser ever :D
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    My review pointed that out :3

Ok sorry didnt go back through the thread to see if someone reviewed it. thnx
  • DireWolf
    I really, really dig Grassetti's. The way he sculpts and explains remind me so much of gesture drawing or that book dynamic figure drawing. Really nice curvature, excellent way of simplifying form, and tons of nice tricks he carries over from traditional sculpting.

The real gold IMO is his simplistic approach. Grassetti was able to block out chest + torso in mere 10 minutes. Got his hands done in under 15. That's just mind blowing.
  • Nagual
    Hello Guys,
    First at all, thank you for this article. I heard about the gumroad here at first. I already brought some tutorials and I would like to share my experience with you.
    I find 2 tutorial for highlight:

1. kalen chock - Environment_Design_Package
    This is a complete tutorial about enviroment design from the first steps. I like this guy teaching style and works also. The whole video series is made with realtime comments, include his mistakes, his thinking ways...I made all the tutorials with the video, so I had enough time to make my own practice during the tutorial. This series is recomennded if you looking for enviroment tutorial.

2. 10 mistakes ebook
    I brough this ebook, and I find realy usefull. This ebook is not just for one shoot, you can read back anytime to refreesh you view points. Is realy usefull, also recommended. :)

Keep up this work! Let's share the best tutorials! :)
  • Ambivalent
  • Nagual
    I know this guy from real life, he is a exelent teacher and creator. He teached me for the first steps in concept art. Absolutly recommended:

https://gumroad.com/markmolnar

Any way here is his web portfolio, with many nice work: markmolnar.com
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated (aside from the reviews. Will add later)
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    ¬ Creating a Fantasy Character: + [/ URL]

https://gumroad.com/l/YeXhC

So i finished watching Zedig's gum road.

Long story short: Get it.

Long story long: This video is very much in the style of Rapoza's Bog witch tutorial. A super long epic tutorial that is best viewed alongside doing your own drawing. Like a buddy who is working alongside you.

While he mentions a few times that he isn't much of a teacher that he says um and ah a lot... he really doesn't, he instead chooses to speak slowly and clearly and explains the reasoning behind WHY he does the things he does and not just how.

It's a great watch, and has his brushes included as well as a bonus sped up video which i have yet to watch and as the super mega bonus, the theme song he made for a trailer in audio form.

This was a super easy buy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll +1 the Zedig tutorial. Super entertaining and good into to pick up.
  • Nagual
    @99
    Thanks for share your experience! After your post I just brought this tutorial. :)
    I will let you know guys how was it, when I finised!

On other hand I realy like Kalen Chock tutorials and he made a new Enviroment pack!
    Chek it!
    https://gumroad.com/k04sk
  • Nagual
    Guys,
    Any body know about Sketchbook tutorial? I think for pencil draw in sketchbook...but in this concept way...Or just a good pencil drawing tutorial but also in concept style... Thank you.