Home General Discussion

Unreal Tournament coming back...

Replies

• Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    I like it. Yes, it is plain, but it's also quite stylish imo.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Where's the source for that? Is there more?

It is plain, but aren't most UT maps? I hope they keep it pretty open, like the older maps, instead of cluttering up the space with objects with broken collision just because we have the hardware.

Edit: Looks damn good though. I'd pay again if this was included with an update.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i didn't mean "a little plain" was a bad thing.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    /r_picmip 6

ut2014 was baller! - that was also the last good unreal game :P
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you mean 2k4, right?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I don't like it because it isn't functional; the room's shape and depth is not easily read from a quick glance, so I can't judge distances and doorways. These things are absolutely critical in an arena shooter like UT. The duochromatic colour scheme makes navigation difficult also, since there are no landmarks (but this is easier to fix).

Also, random pipes going everywhere but also nowhere (pop out of a wall and into the wall again, what?) is just bad design voodoo - they make no sense at all.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I love it. I don't care. I just love it so much.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    It's just fine for running around guns blazing. I think it looks awesome. I just hope it plays like 2k4/99.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I really want a source for that footage.

For characters, I would love to see a return to some of the character design motifs from UT2004, I think they'd fit in pretty well for this sort of environment; they had reasonable proportions and somewhat functional gear that read really well, UT3 kind of wrecked that with the giant boots and legs thicker than your torso and busy details.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    you mean 2k4, right?

lol
    yes, 2k4, sorry if I offended anybody :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I like it. I certainly would have preferred it if it looked even plainer, but I think it's a step in the right direction. I'm actually really happy to see more devs realize that adding unnecessary details for the sake of making sexy stills can actually harm the gameplay. I'm looking at you Battlefield :poly124:
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    lol
    yes, 2k4, sorry if I offended anybody :)

no i was just worried that i'd missed a game lol.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Clean hallways and details around the walls/corners are a good approach, it fits the main rule of giving the eye rest places. I am also for more than two-tone color scheme and actually designed maps instead of ultra kitbashed style but I think they're on it, that example is about visual clarity, I really like the lighting ue4 is very capable. But color scheme blends everything in though, even routes and layouts.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    ambershee wrote: »
    I don't like it because it isn't functional; the room's shape and depth is not easily read from a quick glance, so I can't judge distances and doorways. These things are absolutely critical in an arena shooter like UT. The duochromatic colour scheme makes navigation difficult also, since there are no landmarks (but this is easier to fix).

Also, random pipes going everywhere but also nowhere (pop out of a wall and into the wall again, what?) is just bad design voodoo - they make no sense at all.

It's mostly just placeholder stuff. But pipes like that could very well exist in mining/refining facilities and paper mills ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd2gVHzNHYA
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've definitely deviated from the industry norm of establishing pipe and wiring blueprints for levels before beginning construction, but we're enjoying the artistic freedom that it's allowing us.

On a more serious note, if you watch the stream, this is a first pass visual look that Chris was going for. He specifically talks about moving forward generating purpose built meshes for doorways and columns and things like that.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I loved the comparison of Tim Burton's Batman VS Christopher Nolan's Batman in terms of what they want to accomplish with their shapes and visual style this round in the franchise. It's actually a huge relief that they aren't so interested in doing the chunky mega-grunge like Gears and UT3.