Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Weapon

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Shadyra polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys! i would like to share with you my process to make a low poly weapon Tyson Murphy, Wow, hand painted style. I will make only diffuse map and i will put on it all information about volume and light. It will be fun and all comments or feedbacks are welcome!!!

First I made a low poly base directly in 3dsmax with the concept as guide:

kelvin_fallen_angel_concept_860.jpg

This is a wonderful concept made by Kelvin Tan

http://cargocollective.com/turpedo/Personal-Work-Fallen-Angel

And this is the base i made in 3dsmax:

Vg8x5AN.jpg
57tk5Bt.jpg
qXT3KWT.jpg

Now i will export it to 3dcoat and start to paint! ( helped by my lovely Photoshop of course! :D).
Updates soon! stay tunned! :)

Replies

• Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Looks Cool!
    Curious how this will look in the end :)
  • Shadyra
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Gazu! i hope you like it! :D
  • Shadyra
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there! Here is my hand painted texture process, part 1. I exported obj from max to 3dcoat and started to paint to simulate volume, lights and shadows.

low_poly_hand_painted_weapon___texture_wip1_by_shadyra-d7poap9.jpg

You can find some of my texture process here as a timelapse:

http://youtu.be/-nTkUFHZCOw

Hope you like it and all comments are welcome and more updates soon!
  • Perzik
    Offline / Send Message
    Perzik polycounter lvl 5
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I love it but I would have never guess it is a weapon. It looks pretty decorative, not really dangerous or sharp or what ever. The fact that the decorative wings are wider than the blades doesn't help in my opinion. :)
  • dr grim
    Suba wrote: »
    I love it but I would have never guess it is a weapon. It looks pretty decorative, not really dangerous or sharp or what ever. The fact that the decorative wings are wider than the blades doesn't help in my opinion. :)

Agreed. I didn't think it was a weapon until I scrolled down. Maybe extend the blades down? Add a thin line of spec to show the edge like it's sharp?

Otherwise it's pretty, for sure.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    What size a texture map you need to make that looks awesome ?
  • Shadyra
    Offline / Send Message
    @Perzik thank you!!! :)

@Suba @dr grim yeah, maybe it is not very useful as a common weapon, it could be a ceremonial or magical weapon, i dont know what was the idea of Kelvin Tan when he makes the concept :icon15: , but, in any case, its a fantasy weapon!! doesnt have to be like a real one i think :DDD
    Also I am agree with dr grim, i will try to add more speculars on the blade to give it sharper appereance :thumbup:

@PyrZern the map is 1024x1024 px, thank you :D
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    Great concept, im not a huge fan of sampling colors from concepts especially if it is not my concept. Trying to guess what color/value was used in original concept always makes you better artist, i think. At this point this looks like ctrl+C, ctrl+V work. Try to add something from you i do not see point coping things like for eg scratches look.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    "Great concept, im not a huge fan of sampling colors from concepts especially if it is not my concept. Trying to guess what color/value was used in original concept always makes you better artist, i think. At this point this looks like ctrl+C, ctrl+V work. Try to add something from you i do not see point coping things like for eg scratches look."

What....?

I chuckled at this when i imagined myself delivering a character to a client with wrong color values with that excuse.

Looks great so far, keep us posted !!
  • riceart
    Offline / Send Message
    riceart polycounter lvl 10
    if your client is giving you a concept and wants 100% representation of this in 3d than ok, sampling is ok, but if you want to improve yourself as an artist i recommend not picking colors with color sampler thats it.
  • Shadyra
    Offline / Send Message
    @riceart @Joao Sapiro ok, thank you guys. In this case, the purpose of this piece is to be as similar as possible to the concept "by hand" so if it looks like copy paste, great! i made it! :), hehe (you can see the process on youtube link i have on the post).
    I am trying to improve my skills making painted textures by hand, and i prefer to do the 3D model and texture but be very precise with the concept like i daily work when a client gives you a concept already made.
  • turpedo
    Offline / Send Message
    turpedo polycounter lvl 12
    Heya Shadyra,

Great to see someone making this weapon :).

It looks like you're off to a great start, looks cool so far.

When I painted it I imagined the top area to be more of a blunt mace than a sharp axe type. It is definitely a cool interpretation though! I would try to push the silhouette on the side view and break it out of the rectangular boundaries.

I look forward to seeing more!
  • linkov
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    riceart wrote: »
    Great concept, im not a huge fan of sampling colors from concepts especially if it is not my concept. Trying to guess what color/value was used in original concept always makes you better artist, i think. At this point this looks like ctrl+C, ctrl+V work. Try to add something from you i do not see point coping things like for eg scratches look.

this is just silly. so if I'm picking colors from concepts or even photos, I'm a criminal now? lol. we're not in some painting competition. if you want to challenge yourself thats fine, but don't act like it some sort of crime to use color sampler. there is no unspoken or unwritten rules about it either.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Linkov - he said that "challenging yourself makes you a better artist". You concluded that "not challenging yourself makes you a criminal". Bit of a stretch there, no? :)

If I may be critical for a sec, Angelina is not on-par with the painting level of the concept. She's following it closely and will likely apply what she learns into her next textures. Some ppl r more daring in their studies, some less. It's just important to realize learning the rules is so they can be later broken.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks really cool, I think you nailed the "copy paste" feel but as turpedo pointed out, inst it a hammer?
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    riceart wrote: »
    Trying to guess what color/value was used in original concept always makes you better artist, i think.

What.

Anyway its looking great man, really like the design!
  • POFFINGTON
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Great work! Can't wait to see this finished!
  • Shadyra
    Offline / Send Message
    @turpedo Wow! thank you sir!!! i really love your designs and works, you are awesome, its fantastic to have the opportunity to make a 3D model of your concept, and i am glad you like it! I dont know why i imagine an axe, when i was making the low poly base I was thinking in a hammer but at the end, while i was playing with symmetry, it finished like this haha :poly136:

@linkov @shotgun yeah, i think all of you are right because i think its a point of view or it is an artist´s choice, no rules to learn, every people have its own method and ,when you are working, if you can be very precise with a concept its great too, i dont know, i am not trying to innovate, i made this as a practice and to have fun! :)

@lotet thank you man! yes, as Turpedo says, he imagined a hammer, but i imagined an axe...i didnt know it, crazy world! :poly142:

@Torch @POFFINGTON thank you so much guys!!! im glad you like it, i will try to post some updates very soon, i will be working on it after work every day cause i wanted to finish it this week :thumbup:
  • linkov
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    shotgun wrote: »
    Linkov - he said that "challenging yourself makes you a better artist". You concluded that "not challenging yourself makes you a criminal". Bit of a stretch there, no? :)

No. You oversimplifying this. Like I've said, challenging yourself is fine in general, but I was referring to the particular case of picking colors from someone elses concepts or photos. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and if someone thinks that its somehow unfair or cheating, then its their personal issue, no need to project that on others.

Not to mention that skill like that is practically useless in our industry because people who hire us simple don't care if I'm eyeballing colors or picking it with color sampler. All they care about is the end result, as long as there is nothing really illegal happening. Also, I think even MS Paint have color picker, so there is no reason at all not to use it.

Besides, working with digital medium, we all have different monitors and quite possible - minor color blindness issues, so no need to make it harder than its already is.

PS. sleepy this morning. What you've said, wasn't my conclusion at all. What I have tried to say, is that not challenging yourself in that particular way, DOESN'T make you a criminal.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Of course it doesn't make you a criminal, that was an absurd idea.
  • Shadyra
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello!! I had a bit of time to work on this piece (at last!) this week after work, so here is how it is all going (still so much to do). I had to fix some errors on the face´s geometry when I painted it and, this time, the timelapse on youtube has better quality :D (i will re-upload the previous wip with this quality also). Thank you for all comments!

Timelapse 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYeHLC9YZ5A

axe3_3b_by_shadyra-d7rokal.jpg
  • Edgar T
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    Tremendo trabajo. Muy buena mano... ¿Algún truco para llegar a ese nivel?
  • Shadyra
    Offline / Send Message
    Gracias Pshyco! La verdad es que sigo practicando cada dia, el hand painted style para texturas requiere mucho tiempo de piyarle el truco realmente jaja. No dejes de trabajar todos los dias y le iras cogiendo practica, un saludo y me alegro de que te guste!!

Thank you Pshyco! The truth is I am still training everyday to be better, hand painted styles on textures are very hard to look well and takes so much time to be good at it :D. Dont give up and practice everyday, i am glad you like it! Bye!
  • tsabszy
    Offline / Send Message
    tsabszy greentooth
    Totally agree with riceart and turpedo's hints.
    My first thoughts about this whole project were that first it much rather looks like a hammer coz as an axe it looks a bit awkward.
    And second if we talk about a concept that could be even projected onto a mofel as a texture than you can barely learn much from copying it, and picking colors.
    Keep up the practicing though :)
  • Squals
    Offline / Send Message
    Squals polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Shadyra,

Good stuff, looks cool, i like the from scratch hand painted approach, always my favorite. I quickly glanced your video and noticed you brought your model back to 3ds to do some modifications to the model. Why didn't you just use the Tweak menu in 3dcoat with the Move tool, you could of easily tweaked what you wanted in 5 seconds. Just wondering / helping in case you didn't know :P

Cheers.
  • Shadyra
    Offline / Send Message
    @tsabszy : hey man! love your works! :D. Yep, i am planning to keep the geometry unchanged until i finish textures, then, if i have time, i will try to fix the axe to be converted into a hammer XD, sorry for the confusion Turpedo :(
    And, well, I am only picking colours as base, i try to mix them in the model picking it from my own mixes of color into the model so i am learning how to make the lights and shadows depending on materials etc...as i see on concept.
    On the other hand, i have seen more artists doing what I am doing in their professional workflows, picking colours from concept like me and I dont know why is this worse, could you suggest me a better method next time? (i will try to learn as much as i can on my next model), thank you!!! :)

@Squals: thank you so much !!! I usually use 3dcoat for retopo and painting, I dont know so much about modelling tools inside it, thanks for the tip!! i will have a look! :thumbup:
  • AlphaMix
    The advice about not copying the details exactly and maybe adding your own makes perfect sense, but about the color picker? Haha, there is no way you guys are serious, thats exactly what it was made for, its faster and more accurate, which is a plus for me even if I dont do handpainting.

What he could do is add even more colors of his own, but there is no way the use of such a tool makes you a bad artist or refusing to use it a better one
  • Shadyra
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there!! i ve just finished this model, make this type of hand painted textures was really fun!!! Thank you so much to Kelvin Tan for make such an awesome concept "Fallen Angel". I am sorry about my interpretation of the weapon as an axe instead of a hammer, i am planning to move to my next model so this time its an axe! :D. I learnt so much about this style and i will try to improve my techniques on future projects, stay tunned!!! Thank you for all comments guys!!!

low_poly_hand_painted_weapon_by_shadyra-d7sy1dk.jpg

axe_handpainted_tex_by_shadyra-d7sy2ac.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]12ca74ee31f74f94b1bcdeed6de3fd86[/SKETCHFAB]
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Good job, turned out great!
    my only crit is the handle, its lacking some detail and the leather whraps are not overlaping, but overall its a great piece!
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    When I first looked at the concept, I definitely saw the weapon as a hammer so I was a bit surprised to see thin sharp blades when looking at the model sideways hehe :)

Otherwise, texture is looking really great !
    I agree with lotet though, handle feels a bit cheap compared to the rest :)

Great execution of the concept ! Nice job :)
  • Shadyra
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet thank you!! yes, i find the problem of symmetry when I try to make the overlapping on the handle :(,its a pity, next time i have to make a better plan on symmetry - non symmetry parts of model to give it more detail or variety to the piece.

@Cremuss thx man! i learnt a lot doing this piece because of the concept indeed (an axe, a hammer, a weapon...XD). I wanted to do more on this style, i really love it!!
  • Demomode
    Offline / Send Message
    Demomode polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great keep it up.:)
  • Shadyra
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much Demomode!
  • Edgar T
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    Cool final result. I tried to do some handpainted with 3dCoat and I can saw it's a good choice to paint directly on the model because has a lot of options and the paint aim is really acurated.

Gran trabajo final. ¿Nos espera algo en breve? Con ganas de ver más trabajos tuyos!!
  • Shadyra
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Pshyco! Yes, i really find very helpful 3dcoat to do handpainted textures directly on the model. I will post more works soon of course!! stay tunned! :)

Gracias Pshyco! 3dcoat es muy bueno para el hand painted style, lo de pintar en el modelo directamente te hace ver mucho mejor como va quedando. Posteare mas trabajos muy pronto, no te preocupes! :thumbup: