Home General Discussion

Marmoset Skyshop is GO, 1.07 is out!

Replies

• DInusty
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    what I would give for a shader that has grime on UV 2 :)
  • EarthQuake
    Frozan wrote: »
    what I would give for a shader that has grime on UV 2 :)

Is this something that default Unity shaders do?

What do you mean by grime exactly, blending in a diffuse map, multiplying on a dirt map, AO in general?

Marmoset Skyshop comes with full shader source, so you can add in your own features if you like(or you tech team can).
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    quick question:

are there plans to add a skin shader to skyshop?

cheers.
  • EarthQuake
    quick question:

are there plans to add a skin shader to skyshop?

cheers.

Yes, though we don't have any sort of ETA on when we expect to have it in, sorry.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    as long as i know it's coming, i can prepare my body.
  • DInusty
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    Hey EQ sorry for the late replay. I just got done using Unity and skyshop on a 80 hour art test ! :) if your interested on an environment artists experience on your guys great tool PM me.

as for your last reponse

"What do you mean by grime exactly, blending in a diffuse map, multiplying on a dirt map, AO in general?"

I was just interested in getting the materials to be more flexible for environment artists doing scenes more so then single assets or characters.

Things like tiling the diffuse individual of the other maps isn't possible right now. Or like you were suggesting blending a diffuse map over the top or multiplying dirt maps over the diffuse. AO as a separate map that masks gloss?

Or the king of kings... the Blending via a height map between two materials such as putting water on concrete via a mask or an exposed vertex paint. that's the money material for environment guys imo anyways.

but maybe skyshop wasn't intended for these types of things. any who just giving a little bit of input from my experience over the last week of use.

Let it for sure be known that I was able to use it straight away. didn't take but like 30 min to figure out how it works! to bring it even into more perspective, i didn't know how to use Unity or Skyshop (never used marmoset toolbag) and had both of those squared away for getting art and IBL bakes in a single night.

nice work guys!

Edit: forgot to say im now looking into actually writing the shaders. have to learn that first though lol.
  • EarthQuake
    Skyshop has been nominated for a Unity Award for Technical Achievement!

https://unity3d.com/awards/2013/finalists
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Congrats guys, you've earned it. After using this on all my projects since its release there's no way i'll ever go back to the built in lighting
  • EarthQuake
    We'll probably have some more cool stuff to show off after Unite, but just wanted to post this here. Andres has box projection cube mapping in (though it won't be in until the update after next - 1.05, 1.04 will be terrain and some bug fixes which should be out soon).

Anyway: fancy box projection demo thingy!

boxProjection.png

Also more here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/184304-Marmoset-Skyshop-Image-Based-Lighting-amp-Tools-RELEASED/page26
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    that's so cool!
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i read somewhere that unity free version has a lot of limitation on advanced shaders, so does Skyshop get around that problem ?

can i get all the nice shaders shown above in non-pro Unity version ?

also, nice scooter demo but is there a way to pause the sliding of the thing so one could inspect the lighting ?
  • EarthQuake
    MM wrote: »
    i read somewhere that unity free version has a lot of limitation on advanced shaders, so does Skyshop get around that problem ?

can i get all the nice shaders shown above in non-pro Unity version ?

The latest free versions of Unity have dropped some of the limitations (like no realtime shadows), so yeah as far as I am aware all of the Skyshop features are supported in Unity Free. That has been a big goal for us to not require Unity Pro. But I will double check and get Andres in here to clarify if there are any Unity Free restrictions.
    also, nice scooter demo but is there a way to pause the sliding of the thing so one could inspect the lighting ?
    Thanks! Uncheck the "spin" radio button and the demo will stop spinning, then you can rotate the sky yourself by holding down shift and LMB drag (like Toolbag).

So in related news, Skyshop won the Unite Technical Achievement award! We're super proud and would like to give a special thanks to everyone who has used Skyshop to make awesome art and/or given us feedback!!
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    congrats on the win!

if unity free version has no limitations on skyshop and i can get a web demo like the scooter with all normal, gloss, shadows, etc then that will be great!

btw, i was talking about the fancy box demo with the scooter sliding left to right. i dont see any buttons there.
  • EarthQuake
    MM wrote: »
    congrats on the win!

Thanks!
    if unity free version has no limitations on skyshop and i can get a web demo like the scooter with all normal, gloss, shadows, etc then that will be great!
    Out of curiosity, would your main purpose be using Skyshop as a web viewer to to show off your work, for your portfolio etc?
    btw, i was talking about the fancy box demo with the scooter sliding left to right. i dont see any buttons there.
    Ahh, ok sorry, yeah I don't think there is a way to do that. Its a pretty WIP feature right now so we will probably have better official demos down the road (this was thrown together quickly before Unite).
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, would your main purpose be using Skyshop as a web viewer to to show off your work, for your portfolio etc?

yes
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They released an update and video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zCzTMKwao"]Skyshop Tutorial | Terrain & Vegetation Shaders - YouTube[/ame]
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah, 1.04 is out! New terrain shaders and all sorts of other stuff, like 2nd uv channel ao, vertex ao, and vertex color support. Full changelog is here: http://www.marmoset.co/skyshop/history

Andres did a writeup of the new lightmapping weights as well (didn't make it for the video tutorial): http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1926920&postcount=78
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Holy crap! I've been holding off on this because of my custom terrain shaders. But now you have the same stuff and it works! Gotta get this now.
  • Graze
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    I need help, Skyshop is not taking into account my gloss maps, how do i fix this? I am using ddo to texture the model, I have even used 2 totally different gloss maps and still not working. please help
  • Graze
    Offline / Send Message
    Graze polycounter lvl 6
    OK I have found out that the gloss does work, BUT no matter what i do the actual skybox reflection is still like a mirror, how do i adjust that? ive changed the gloss and spec and same reflection sharpness
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    I'm running into the same issue. My spec cube map is always a mirror, its quality never changes. even when i change the specular sharpness. Is this just a bug or am I missing something?
  • monkeyscience
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyscience polycounter lvl 12
    Graze wrote: »
    OK I have found out that the gloss does work, BUT no matter what i do the actual skybox reflection is still like a mirror, how do i adjust that? ive changed the gloss and spec and same reflection sharpness

Sorry for the late reply here:

If you are building for Android, gloss maps are not supported. There is like one Android phone in existence that lets a shader pick a custom mip level and this is key to our fancy gloss :(.

Otherwise, if you mess with the "Specular Sharpness" slider and see no changes to the reflection, you may have lost your mipmap. If you ever change any cubemap properties (resize it, make it linear, etc), Unity will auto-generate mipmaps, ruining everything.

To fix it:
    First make sure the specular cubemap asset has a bunch of sub-asset textures in the Project view. If not, recompute it with "Specular Mip-Chain" enabled.

Try reimporting the specular cubemap. Right-click on the asset and select "Reimport", this should force Unity to build the mipmap from the custom sub-textures Skyshop computed.
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    Whoops, figured it out. Doi...

In the skyshop sky creator you need to include a sky spec and sky diffuse when generating. the sky spec creates the mips needed for it to react properly and more specifically, the advanced section tells the spec block to use mips. if not turned on or used you wont get the soft gloss mips. Hope that makes sense

Edit: oh! looks like we posted this at the same time! Thanks for the info Monkey!
  • Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    I have been using Skyshop shaders and they are really great! But, it would be awesome to have support for vertex blending (or directional blending) materials, especially with heightmaps and detail normals. Building environment art with these kinds of shaders is pretty much a necessity to get something that looks next gen(even current gen). It would be awesome too to see support for parallax/displacement shaders as well. Are any of these features you plan to integrate? Would be so great for those of us who love to make art but not write shaders... :D

The shaders look great, but I am finding trying to build a comprehensive current/next gen environment with your supplied shaders feels somewhat constrictive without the above mentioned features.

Either way, it is an awesome package that pushes Unity into new territory! Keep up the great work!
  • Orchidface
    Offline / Send Message
    Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah these shaders are looking awesome. You guys have done a fantastic job with this and I'm very glad your around to make this stuff. I too am wondering about vertex blended materials, as it seems that's the one essential feature still missing for making environments.
  • EarthQuake
    Hey hey, 1.05 is out.

Major Features
    - Box Projected Cubemaps (Beta)
    - Spherical Harmonics Diffuse IBL (Beta)
    - Skin Shader (Beta)
    - Anisotropic Highlights (Beta, skin shader only)
    - HDR Render to Cubemap
    - Fixed Prefabs

More info here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/184304-Marmoset-Skyshop-Image-Based-Lighting-amp-Tools-RELEASED/page50?p=1441748&viewfull=1#post1441748

Asset store link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/8880
  • EarthQuake
    So a few of you guys have asked for more interesting box projection demos, now that this feature is the latest(though still beta), some cool web packages have been created by users and posted on the Unity forums.

Robots and green glowy bits demo by Florian Schmoldt - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33311247/skyshopBPCM/Room3/Room3.html
    A Strange Room by Florian Schmoldt - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33311247/skyshopBPCM/StrangeRoom/StrangeRoom.html
  • EarthQuake
    Skyshop is currently 50% off, check it out in the asset store: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/8880
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Nice. How long'll that be the case?
  • EarthQuake
    cptSwing wrote: »
    Nice. How long'll that be the case?

Until Feb 14th I think. So still another week or so.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks man. Let's see if I can scrounge up some cash ;)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Skyshop was featured in Google's new promo video,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qe10ExwzCqk#t=116
  • EarthQuake
    Haha yeah, apparently my Vespa is famous now.
  • EarthQuake
    *Skyshop Update* 1.07 is available now!

What can we say, this release has been a long-time coming! It is by far the most substantial Skyshop release to date. Building upon Skyshop's leading image quality in Unity, localized reflections and a good cubemap manager are paramount to achieving high scene fidelity within dynamic indoor and outdoor real-time projects. Skyshop now brings you the features and tool set to achieve this superb scene fidelity in all of your Unity projects.

1.07 introduces...
    • Sky Blending/Interpolation
    • Box Projected Cube Mapping
    • Spherical Harmonics Diffuse IBL
    • New Sky & Sky Manager System
    • Cubemap Probe System
    • ...lest we forget, Shader Forge Integration! You can now tie in Skyshop's high quality image-based lighting with Unity's most popular node-based shader editor.
    Download Skyshop 1.07: http://u3d.as/4Jx

Skyshop 1.07 | Quick Reference: http://goo.gl/yAyllD

Skyshop 1.07 | Video Tutorials: http://goo.gl/C3lS0b

tumblr_n6rfvyC02a1rwuozio1_1280.png

tumblr_n6rfvyC02a1rwuozio2_1280.png

tumblr_n6rfvyC02a1rwuozio3_1280.png
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Friggin awesome!
  • beancube
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome update!

We are really loving skyshop in our studio.
    (Only downside being unity takes a fair while to load in the shaders per project, which i think is been rectified in the latest Unity version).

Thanks again.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Trying to get the beta skin shaders to work. So far I'm just getting a pink mesh. Any thoughts?
  • Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Tried it out a bit and so far I'm loving the new additions. Though one strange thing that happened is that it seems like the I can't find the beta shaders including the skin shader in my list anymore. Even when I go into the options for importing the marmoset package I don't see them as an option to select.
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    beancube wrote: »
    Awesome update!

(Only downside being unity takes a fair while to load in the shaders per project, which i think is been rectified in the latest Unity version).

Thanks again.

That was my main complaint but after updating to 4.5 its on par with built in shader compilation times, so much better for editing!
  • EarthQuake
    beancube wrote: »
    Awesome update!

Thanks again.

Glad to hear it! Yeah the slow importing was a Unity issue.
    Trying to get the beta skin shaders to work. So far I'm just getting a pink mesh. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure how to help you there. Could you please send some more detailed information about the problem to support@marmoset.co

I asked Andres and he had the following comments:
    It might not work if your project is set to mobile.
    Right click + reimport shader may fix it.
    The skin shader is still beta so you may need to unzip the beta shaders to use it.
    Tried it out a bit and so far I'm loving the new additions. Though one strange thing that happened is that it seems like the I can't find the beta shaders including the skin shader in my list anymore. Even when I go into the options for importing the marmoset package I don't see them as an option to select.

To access the beta shaders unzip betaShader.zip (in place). Glad to hear you're liking the new features!
  • WipEout
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    This is some awesome work, guys! I'm digging what I've been able to produce between the Quixel Suite and Skyshop!!

I do have one question, though, and it's probably a dumb one: Does everyone on the team need a Skyshop license in order to use it?

To clarify (because that's an obvious answer on the surface):

I've been contracted to do all the art for a small indie studio's mobile game. Since I own Skyshop, I used the Skyshop mobile shaders for the assets. Now the question is, can I just hand all the assets with the Marmoset shaders and cubemaps off to the programmer, or does he also need Skyshop installed in order for these shaders to work? I'm leaning towards Yes, that he needs Skyshop too, but I'm hoping someone with more experience here can confirm. Is there some special way I need to share these assets with my programmer, or do I need to convince him to get the plugin and walk him through the Skybox setup in his scene, to mimic what I have in mine?

Thanks for any insight!

ETA: So we decided to pair down the project and aren't going to use IBL for this game (which makes me sad), so this isn't really an issue for my project anymore. However, I am curious to know what the usage rights are, at least for future reference. Thanks again for an awesome tool!

Answered by email! And the answer is: Yes! Everyone that will be using the shaders, be it for editing or final compiling, needs their own copy of Skyshop for it to work.