Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1911 Model I've been working on. I'm new to texturing and 3D in general (18yo)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
james swanson polycounter lvl 5
I know there are some things I can improve on. The textures aren't finished, but I just got dDo 2 days ago so Im still in the process of learning that tool. Some textures are repetitive, and I need to touch up the overall wear on the paint.

I'd like to hear some constructive criticism. Please tell me what you think!

Replies

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    It looks nice, but it seems you rely too much on dDO. As in, you slapped multiple stuff on it, and they don't work that well together. A few months back I made a character and I used dDO for the first time on it. Result was something like this.

Also, maybe more polycount on it ? If you want nice details and scratches, then surely it will be viewed at close range. Get rid of those blocky edges ?

I will leave the rest to hard-surface/prop/envo artists...

Also, welcome to Polycount !!!
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern wrote: »
    It looks nice, but it seems you rely too much on dDO. As in, you slapped multiple stuff on it, and they don't work that well together. A few months back I made a character and I used dDO for the first time on it. Result was something like this.

Also, maybe more polycount on it ? If you want nice details and scratches, then surely it will be viewed at close range. Get rid of those blocky edges ?

I will leave the rest to hard-surface/prop/envo artists...

Also, welcome to Polycount !!!

Thanks! I'm still really new to the site, and I spent 10 minutes finding my own thread, haha. As I said though, I'm new to texturing. I've tried texturing from scratch, and it works okay but using dDo has really accelerated the process. The textures you see in the pics are very basic, as I'm still familiarizing myself with the programs. I used nDo for some of the details I would've put in with floaters, such as the grip texture and slide texture.

As for the polycount (hehe), it's 4,386 which is where I want to keep it. This is being designed to be game ready, and I've already got enough detail from the mesh. The bake is okay with just a couple of problem spots.

I'll be working on the textures soon, so I'll update when I have better results.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, as for using dDo exclusively, I think that's acceptable. I just need to get better with the software. This tutorial is from quixel and he only uses dDo (and nDo) and gets amazing results.
  • bbob
    Best advice I can give is to leave the excuses at the door and take the advice. You won't get oohs and aahs for pointing out your inexperience, but rather for the steps you take to gain experience.
  • woot
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    im also 18 so dont use that as an excuse :P

first up: what model of M1911 is it? im assuming its the 1911a1 cos of the colour scheme though i could be wrong.

if it is, there are some things missing geometry wise:
    TOK-GBB-M1911A1-BK5.jpg
    the peice on the back of the grip will really help with the look of the model, as at the moment the back of yours is incredibly blocky.

id also really suggest bumping up the polycount and smoothing out some of the edges. if its meant to be close up its really really blocky.

i think the texture is ok, but could be much better. remove some of the wear, a lot of it is in places i wouldnt really expect to see wear. For example, there is wear all over the top of the slide but on the bottom there is non, even where it would repeatedly scrape against the main body of the weapon. it looks as though its been dropped repeatedly and then hit with something. The ideal way to find where wear will be is to put some research into how it will work, and what will be in contact with other things that will wear it down.
    Sometimes, less is more!

anyways, good luck with the rest of it man. im sure itll turn out nicely if you listen and act upon lots of advice. Keep working at it!
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    woot wrote: »
    im also 18 so dont use that as an excuse :P

first up: what model of M1911 is it? im assuming its the 1911a1 cos of the colour scheme though i could be wrong.

if it is, there are some things missing geometry wise:
    TOK-GBB-M1911A1-BK5.jpg
    the peice on the back of the grip will really help with the look of the model, as at the moment the back of yours is incredibly blocky.

id also really suggest bumping up the polycount and smoothing out some of the edges. if its meant to be close up its really really blocky.

i think the texture is ok, but could be much better. remove some of the wear, a lot of it is in places i wouldnt really expect to see wear. For example, there is wear all over the top of the slide but on the bottom there is non, even where it would repeatedly scrape against the main body of the weapon. it looks as though its been dropped repeatedly and then hit with something. The ideal way to find where wear will be is to put some research into how it will work, and what will be in contact with other things that will wear it down.
    Sometimes, less is more!

anyways, good luck with the rest of it man. im sure itll turn out nicely if you listen and act upon lots of advice. Keep working at it!

This is the M1911, patent 1911. The back of the gun is flat and kind of chamfered on the older version. Also the M1911-A1 has a different rear and front sight. But I agree about the texture. The wear is in some weird spots. I'll be touching that up. I'll also be re-baking normals after I loosen most of my edges.

Thanks!
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    bbob wrote: »
    Best advice I can give is to leave the excuses at the door and take the advice. You won't get oohs and aahs for pointing out your inexperience, but rather for the steps you take to gain experience.

Exactly. You're off to an great start though. If you keep improving at a steady rate you'll have some kickass pieces by the time you're 20!
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    Kay, first off, you guys are killing the gun nut in me:
    diffs1911-1911a1.gif

To get back to the topic; I suggest that you scrap what you have so far and start from scratch. Find a decent reference (or a consistent stream of multiple ones) and work from that. Start with a basic material blockout where you lay out basic color values for each of your materials then proceed with adding details. Right now everything looks messy so after you do your blockout, focus on adding more unique details opposed to the random white and black scuffs everywhere.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h wrote: »
    Kay, first off, you guys are killing the gun nut in me:
    diffs1911-1911a1.gif

To get back to the topic; I suggest that you scrap what you have so far and start from scratch. Find a decent reference (or a consistent stream of multiple ones) and work from that. Start with a basic material blockout where you lay out basic color values for each of your materials then proceed with adding details. Right now everything looks messy so after you do your blockout, focus on adding more unique details opposed to the random white and black scuffs everywhere.

Are you saying scrap the entire model and redo the modeling as well? Or just the textures? Because the model I have looks exactly like the model in your reference, and I've used ~25 reference images. I was pretty confident in the accuracy of the gun I had (pun sort of intended).
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    Are you saying scrap the entire model and redo the modeling as well? Or just the textures? Because the model I have looks exactly like the model in your reference, and I've used ~25 reference images. I was pretty confident in the accuracy of the gun I had (pun sort of intended).

No no, just the textures ofc. I'm not an animal. :)

You seem to have the accuracy down. Mag is a bit inaccurate around the top but thats rarely seen ingame so redoing everything just for that would be retarded. My point in my previous post was to have some kind of gameplan when texturing. You seem to have spent some time playing in ddo, and even tho it has improved a lot lately, it can only take you so far. I recommend learning more 'traditional' methods of texturing first and only then try to incorporate ddo in your workflow to speed things up a bit.
    Sorry if I was a bit unclear in my previous post.
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    You've really got to thicken up all of those edges and IMO you should hold off on the ddo until you have a more solid understanding of material definition - ddo is more of a tool to save time and work with bases, but it's still important to understand how those bases work together in order to utilize them effectively - otherwise you're letting the tool dictate your art instead of the other way around...

also +1 on the 18yo thing - it'd be more relevant for us to know how long you've been modeling for instead (I'm 18 too!)
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez wrote: »
    You've really got to thicken up all of those edges and IMO you should hold off on the ddo until you have a more solid understanding of material definition - ddo is more of a tool to save time and work with bases, but it's still important to understand how those bases work together in order to utilize them effectively - otherwise you're letting the tool dictate your art instead of the other way around...

also +1 on the 18yo thing - it'd be more relevant for us to know how long you've been modeling for instead (I'm 18 too!)

Thickening the edges is something I've heard quite a lot, and someone showed me another thread covering why edges should be thick, so I'll be updating that. I really shouldn't have said I was 18, as that's irrelevant. I've been playing around with 3D software ever since 9th grade (so for around 3 years now), but I've never done anything with it, and I've never created something I'm really proud of. Now that I'm out of high school I'm looking to improve my modeling/texturing skills. Until then, I may just need to get a job as a barista or some shit so I can move out.
  • james swanson
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h wrote: »
    No no, just the textures ofc. I'm not an animal. :)

You seem to have the accuracy down. Mag is a bit inaccurate around the top but thats rarely seen ingame so redoing everything just for that would be retarded. My point in my previous post was to have some kind of gameplan when texturing. You seem to have spent some time playing in ddo, and even tho it has improved a lot lately, it can only take you so far. I recommend learning more 'traditional' methods of texturing first and only then try to incorporate ddo in your workflow to speed things up a bit.
    Sorry if I was a bit unclear in my previous post.

Thanks. I'll be retexturing using the traditional methods first, until I get good results, and then I'll start to incorporate dDo. I'll still be using nDo however, as that's really helpful for floater meshes. I actually started to texture an earlier version of this model using traditional methods, but then I had to go back and change the geometry.
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Texturing seems a lil chaotic... there's noise and grungy stuff on parts there shouldn't be...
    Also shader coul be improven a little.... use higher white values for roughness/glossiness and you'll achieve better results! Scraths are overworked... get more subtle stuff on it, different colors... get some material references, will help a lot.

Good job so far, many things to improve, but you are working on it, and that's what counts!
    Keep it up, hope i did help a little!