Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Hampshire Cabin [UE4]

Finally wrapped up the scene, thank you all for the feedback and kind words ^^ Can't wait to start something new and use what I've learned from this.

Here's the final fly-through video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhSiMnKm7E4&hd=1

And the screenshots:

fKUYmez.jpg
MZ8y5Nc.jpg
mVuy3BZ.jpg
70Ymmv7.jpg
hFxRD7x.jpg
1ubXjC2.jpg
yRPYdLV.jpg
uAERcLo.jpg
IkLdHnf.jpg
D9Wa5BT.jpg
BLKIo40.jpg

Original post:

Hey guys! I thought I'll share the environment that I've been working on. It's still a work in progress, so any crits would be lovely :)

I'll try to keep this updated with any progress

Here's where I'm currently at:

https://vimeo.com/95455516

U1GHVny.jpg
km5GKb1.jpg
RZlsqB2.jpg
(removed img tags because of the limit per post)
http://i.imgur.com/VTog0Le.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Yh1dkTv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ezKjXj3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PKSnAgo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/czA5XVF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vRECDHy.jpg

Replies

• Stockwell
    Breaking Bad... Duh gaem!?!?!

D:
  • BasicallyNormal
    Offline / Send Message
    BasicallyNormal polycounter lvl 7
    Damn man you really captured the feeling of this place, and you have a really fine attention to detail. If you wanted to make it feel even lonelier you could make the road stop at the cabin :poly121:
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    This is really awesome! You are nailing it! :D
  • locater16
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Wow... those exteriors. I can't even pick out a specific reason why it's awesome... but those exteriors are just awesome!
  • KazeoHin
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    wow, you NAILED that snow material and scene composure. I wasn't sure if the first outdoor pics were shots from real-life or your work at first. The interiors are great, but you can still tell they are virtual. The outdoors just Blew. My. Mind.
  • Armangelo
    Offline / Send Message
    Armangelo polycounter lvl 6
    Looks amazing! The only thing that is slightly jarring is the disconnect between your godrays and the spotlight on the floor in the first pic. They feel a bit separated and the light a bit harsh for how dispersed the light should be with the cloudy weather outside. Otherwise, it looks incredible. Really good job!

PS: can you show how you did your godrays? I'm having difficulties myself with them.
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Love it inside and out :D Adding a car would be cool and or something like a power generator. Keep it up -> following!
  • DWalker
    I'd expect some wrinkles in the floor rug, especially where the dolly has been rolled onto the rug.

The curtains above the sink feel too insubstantial, more like plastic shower curtains than something you'd find in a kitchen.

The seams between the wall planks look rather wide; do you have a reference photo?

The cast iron items - both the stove and the pans - are much lighter than is common.
  • ed_3D
    Wow thanks guys! I'm cooking up a quick fly through for CGStudentAwards as apparently tomorrow is the last day for entries, so I'll post it up on here as well once it's done
    Armangelo wrote: »
    PS: can you show how you did your godrays? I'm having difficulties myself with them.
    I actually did it using the old UE3 technique, so it's just a cone mesh and a simple panning material that fades in and out based on your distance. I think the example projects available on the ue4 marketplace have much nicer godrays. I'm still using an older version of UE4 so I haven't tried them, but you should check them out :p
    DWalker wrote: »
    I'd expect some wrinkles in the floor rug, especially where the dolly has been rolled onto the rug.

The curtains above the sink feel too insubstantial, more like plastic shower curtains than something you'd find in a kitchen.

The seams between the wall planks look rather wide; do you have a reference photo?

The cast iron items - both the stove and the pans - are much lighter than is common.

Thanks! I'll look into these :)
  • CosmosXXX
    Absolutely stunning! Those outdoor shots... :thumbup:

I guess I have to pick up the U4 too.
  • chrisavigni
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    to me, the indoor shots... they look and feel weird. just some objects stand out, like the barrel's material, and it feels extremely clean, like theres no dust or anything. But those outdoor shots, holy crap do those look amazing. I'd maybe add some animal tracks outside, but I don't know if they'd be very noticeable.
  • maverickhornet
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking amazing Ed :)

You've captured the lighting and atmosphere perfectly and the assets are great.

My only crit would be that the silhouette of the hut is very linear and CG. It may be worth breaking those lines or making them a little irregular at least?

Anyway cool work :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Very well executed! If I should nitpick you could improve on the snow to rock transition at the bottom of the rock meshes..
  • ed_3D
    Thanks for the crits guys ^^ Will post some more progress over the weekend.

Here's a quick fly through I did for the CGStudentAwards contest:
    http://www.cgstudentawards.com/entries/edvinas-petrauskas

A bit disappointed that I didn't get to fully finish the environment before the deadline, but oh well there's always next year :icon15:
  • edwardsomatic
    When the music kicked in I got chills (pun intended). Fantastic work.

Edit: It would be great to see some flats of the cabin.
  • garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Great work, man! The fly-through video is pretty cool.
  • polygoo
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    instantly reminded me of breaking bad, love the feel of it so far
  • atomander
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    This is really excellent. Would love to see more breakdowns about your process, and good luck in the competition!
  • Heretic Interactive
    Wow it's fantastic any tips on your snow shader?
  • ed_3D
    The snow shader is actually nothing fancy at all at the moment :p I used the fuzzy shading node to add a bit of fuzziness, the sparkling effect that I found in the UE3 docs and the material changes tiling based on its distance from the camera, and that's pretty much it haha.

I basically have 3 snow material functions (only 1 would have probably worked too with input nodes), 1 for thin snow that's been stepped on etc, 1 for deep smooth snow and 1 for snow dunes. Each one has a tileable normal and ao map that I baked from high polys that were created by projecting a World Machine generated height map onto a plane in Zbrush and then inflating/tweaking it a bit. And I just use those mat functions everywhere, like in my landscape material and any assets that have snow on them e.g. the log pile.

Here's one of the functions:
    EuUTAsh.jpg

Here are some unlit/flat lighting and detail lighting screens too if anyone wants to see them

ijBqCss.jpg
    YRjGdZJ.jpg
    ky5YXvj.jpg
    OcAeWp8.jpg
    mYZqhIJ.jpg
    VCqyDFC.jpg
    jb7h8B8.jpg

I'll try to post some breakdowns at some point :)
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    I want to play in that snow so bad O_O

Beautiful stuff, I love it!
  • ng.aniki
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    I really like your scene. Especially the outside.
    Would you be willing to share a cooked/build version of your scene, so we can have a closer look ? I would love that.

Just a small thing, I would have made the snow particle les.. Constant.. More delay between the spawn waves, so they are not all constantly blowing. To have a more random/chaotic feel to them.
  • ed_3D
    Thanks for the feedback!
    ng.aniki wrote: »
    Would you be willing to share a cooked/build version of your scene, so we can have a closer look ?
    Possibly, I'll have a look :) If not, if all goes well the environment might be available on UE4 marketplace once it's finished.

Not much progress over the weekend, but here's what I got:

Heisenbag (puns :poly124:), some material tweaks, also tried playing around with some spiderweb placeholders and more dust to try and make the interior feel a little more abandoned. Need to finish off the rest of the interior props next :)

p1eWXC6.jpg

dGGSUoW.jpg
    N59fxKk.jpg
    o3rF6o1.jpg
  • ed_3D
    Hey everyone! Still alive :p

Here are some new screenshots, mostly did a lot of invisible work like tidying up the materials and the whole project, but also added some new stuff, tweaked some old stuff :). Also started using Skylight and been fiddling with Post Process, not sure if I made it look better or worse haha.

Wrapped the project up now, but will be coming back to it in the future to polish it some more for portfolio, so any feedback is still welcome!

xmfhOEd.jpg
    USWoRGM.jpg
    xxJ9M3n.jpg
    odDXerj.jpg
    Y0V0QeC.jpg
    kzBFOob.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest your old shot http://i.imgur.com/ezKjXj3.jpg have a greater sense of depth then your new version.

Something has happened to the trees also?
  • ed_3D
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    To be honest your old shot http://i.imgur.com/ezKjXj3.jpg have a greater sense of depth then your new version.

Something has happened to the trees also?
    Ahh yeah you're right, I see it! I think I may have changed something with the DOF settings, and the addition of Skylight made everything look a little different too, I'll see if I can match it better to how it looked in that older screenshot :)
  • ed_3D
    Made the changes, hopefully it looks a bit better now!

cBM5SDE.jpg
  • DWalker
    You might try increasing the ambient and reducing the direct light a bit to match the overcast winter lighting. Adding a little blue to the distant mountain would help indicate its distance.
  • ed_3D
    DWalker wrote: »
    You might try increasing the ambient and reducing the direct light a bit to match the overcast winter lighting. Adding a little blue to the distant mountain would help indicate its distance.
    Thanks! I tried it and I think it looks better :)

Quick update:

Gave the distant mountains some more love

gYzWx0B.jpg
    CBJOEdS.jpg

Also tried to hack some snow build-up around and on the top of the cabin wood base

EE3hKrt.jpg
    D3b8EWG.jpg

Wasn't sure exactly how to do the one around the cabin without it looking ugly, but in the end I ended up modelling a curved plane all the way around, which uses an alpha to mask out top and the bottom, and I plugged the mask through DitherTemporalAA function to make the seam a little less apparent. If anyone knows a better way to achieve this, please let me know :)

V1EWjHE.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    There's no geometry decal in UE4? That's how would have done it in CE3.. The alpha parts would be turned in to decal objects and project over your curved plane and terrain.
  • tristanCarter
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    There is not nearly enough maple syrup in that cabin for it to be from New Hampshire.

On a more serious note, your mountain in the background is out of place, unless that cabin is right near Mt. Washington, you likely wouldn't find those sharp jutting peaks anywhere else in New Hampshire. The mountains throughout New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine are very old compared to the relatively new Rockies etc. They are significantly more round with less protruding rock faces and cliff faces than what you've got showing off in the background. It's just a little nitpick, and honestly only one people from the area would pick up on.

The only other nitpick I have is that would be a very illogical place to build a cabin. Homes and cabins in scenic areas such as mountains or lakes are built in a way to take advantage of the view. That cabin would likely have the porch facing the view of those mountains in the background. In addition, I would find it hard to believe someone would build that close to exposed rock and not have the cabin/house sit on the higher elevation. Again, this is nitpicking and not something that really has to change, but from a building perspective that is not the most ideal place on a lot to build.

Other than that, you've done a fantastic job with the trees, textures, and other aspects. If you choose to continue, I can totally see a 1985-88 Ford F-150 parked nearby, a chopping block or log splitter for the firewood, and some exterior furniture on the front porch. A folded or half/blown off tarp might be a good addition for covering the firewood as well. All in all fantastic work.
  • CharlestonN
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlestonN polycounter lvl 4
    Hopefully you don't mind but i posted this in the UE4 forums as well since i didnt see it there - https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?12882-Breaking-Bad-Cabin&p=83504#post83504

Amazing work and on a side note you may be able to use splines for the areas of snow intersecting the cabin but it looks fine as is.
  • Holland
    Offline / Send Message
    Holland polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking brilliant! Amazing work! I love the dust on the fireplace and the cobwebs :)
  • ed_3D
    Thanks guys! I took a little break so I didn't work on this much, I did make some changes that tristianCarter suggested though, so I'll post some updated screenshots later :)
    Hopefully you don't mind but i posted this in the UE4 forums as well since i didnt see it there - https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?12882-Breaking-Bad-Cabin&p=83504#post83504

Amazing work and on a side note you may be able to use splines for the areas of snow intersecting the cabin but it looks fine as is.
    Thanks! And not a problem at all, I'm glad you like it :D
    There's no geometry decal in UE4? That's how would have done it in CE3.. The alpha parts would be turned in to decal objects and project over your curved plane and terrain.
    I'm not sure... are geometry decals different from the regular ones that get projected onto a surface that you drag them on? I tried using ue4's decals, but they're either a bit broken or I'm not using them right (probably the latter :p) because they always look odd
  • ed_3D
    Here you go guys, most recent screenshots

jpARQU2.jpg
    EGUhFaM.jpg
    Rht2JKA.jpg
    mQ5a1gf.jpg
    KHX6feJ.jpg
    5gyEhDr.jpg

Thanks! :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to see that the awesome depth got back! Good job!

Geometry decals are made in maya/max. You can think of it as placing a alphad texture on a plane slightly offsetted from what ever you want a decal on. Then that plane will be projected to your first geometry..

I tried to find the CE3 wiki entry about it but didn't find it. I made a tutorial two yrs ago that explains it pretty well. I need stop refearing to it soon:poly122: take a look at the one minute mark.. It's two separate meshes put the edge one is projected on to the underlaying one. https://vimeo.com/44294957
  • son1cman
    I was wondering if you gonna release it for the ue4 market place? if so can you share some part of the proyect?
  • Arendt
    Offline / Send Message
    Arendt polycounter lvl 3
    I so love it , especially the trees , is it some basic material or did you put some love into the leaves material , could i see it ? :)
  • ed_3D
    Hey guys! Finally wrapped up the scene, thank you all for the feedback and for kind words ^^ Can't wait to start something new and use what I've learned from this.

Here's the fly-through video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhSiMnKm7E4&hd=1

And the screenshots:

fKUYmez.jpg
    MZ8y5Nc.jpg
    mVuy3BZ.jpg
    70Ymmv7.jpg
    hFxRD7x.jpg
    1ubXjC2.jpg
    yRPYdLV.jpg
    uAERcLo.jpg
    IkLdHnf.jpg
    D9Wa5BT.jpg
    BLKIo40.jpg
    Nice to see that the awesome depth got back! Good job!

Geometry decals are made in maya/max. You can think of it as placing a alphad texture on a plane slightly offsetted from what ever you want a decal on. Then that plane will be projected to your first geometry..

I tried to find the CE3 wiki entry about it but didn't find it. I made a tutorial two yrs ago that explains it pretty well. I need stop refearing to it soon:poly122: take a look at the one minute mark.. It's two separate meshes put the edge one is projected on to the underlaying one. https://vimeo.com/44294957
    Thanks man! Ohh yeah that makes sense, I watched the videos and it seems like an awesome technique :D I need to try it out some time, maybe the next project
    Arendt wrote: »
    I so love it , especially the trees , is it some basic material or did you put some love into the leaves material , could i see it ? :)
    Thanks! It's nothing special really, I just had an albedo, spec, roughness and normal map for the branch, and then I blended a layer of snow on top using the WorldAlignedBlend multiplied by a tiling cloudy/noisy mask
    son1cman wrote: »
    I was wondering if you gonna release it for the ue4 market place? if so can you share some part of the proyect?
    It's not going to be released on the ue4 marketplace after all, but I might look into zipping and uploading the project somewhere if you guys want it :)
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Great work ed! Grats on a solid folio piece, breakdowns gogo :).
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, breakdowns are always appreciated! You always teach some one something new!
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Very inspiring! I especially like how you handled the materials/spec on the kitchen counter when the camera moves, really nice touch.
  • mad-
    Offline / Send Message
    mad- polycounter lvl 4
    great work!!!
    compliments ;)
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work :) I don't have any crits or anything I'm just enjoying the show!
  • ed_3D
    Thanks a lot guys! Yep breakdowns are on the to-do list, will try to post some up soon :)
  • son1cman
    ed_3D wrote: »
    It's not going to be released on the ue4 marketplace after all, but I might look into zipping and uploading the project somewhere if you guys want it :)

Thanks man, you can upload by dropbox or another sharefile system, dont use mega cause it has bugs.

Hope to see your work soon, i will PM you later on for something that you may be interested.
  • dissonance
    Looks amazing, dude! I especially enjoyed Cooking Meth for Dummies.
  • Arendt
    Offline / Send Message
    Arendt polycounter lvl 3
    Love the result , this is my favorite UE4 scene so far :)
  • Bladers
    Offline / Send Message
    Bladers polycounter lvl 3
    ed_3D wrote: »

Yeah alot of people are interested in this.
    Your snow looks nice. I can't wait to see the intricate of it all.