Offline / Send Message
Kimon polycounter lvl 6
LATEST UPDATE:

rk62_01.jpg

rk62_06.jpg

rk62_03.jpg

More pictures over at www.simonjonasson.com

ORIGINAL THREAD:

Yo polycount. Started working on an Rk 62 yesterday since it looked really cool and I couldn't find too many people that had done it in 3d for games.

My first real gun so C&C is extremely appreciated! :)

Here's the currect state of the HP (ofc still a lot to do and the fore gip is in a bit of a wonky state ^^);

m9htmBu.jpg

Yea, my first real gun as I said so if I'm doing something really wrong please let me know!
Thanks for stopping by :)

Replies

• Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Your HR Look nice :)

Will you make a hole in the canon ?
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    @Poinball

Thanks man! Yes ofc, a big part of the front and the mag is still missing, a long with many of the smaller details :)
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronaton polycounter lvl 6
    ''and I couldn't find too many people that had done it in 3d for games.''

I applaud this comment, i'm fed up with people making the same old M4, AK, RPG, M870 etc etc

try and make your next creation as rare as the last.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    @aaronaton Thanks a lot man! Nice to hear, yea, I really wanted a real weapon for my portfolio but had some problems finding something I really wanted to do, then I found this beaty :)

Worked some more tonight. Looked around and saw that these rifles sometimes use so called "waffle mags" so I decided to give it one of those, not done with it yet though!
    Also fixed up some more stuff.. more to come! Thanks for stopping by :>

FY9iM2z.jpg
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looking very good so far! Will keep an eye on this :)
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    nice :D already looks better than mine!
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    This will look very good at the end :)
    Cant wait for more results :)
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Oh, thanks guys! Makes me really happy to hear, now I want to work even harder :)

@Olli. Oh, you made one?! I think yours is looking really, really good. Great work mate!
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    yeah i made one while i was in the army using one :D

handy having a real ref :P
  • Mawcos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mawcos polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good! Keep up the good work :D
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    @Mawcos Thanks a lot!

@Olli. Oh, that's awesome, then hopefully you can let me know if something is really off! :)

Time for an update! Been working some more on this one, pretty difficult to find good reference on some of the parts though, not too many high quality pictures of this weapon around.

lxoECI7.jpg
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Its coming to life :)
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good man! Keep an eye on your edge widths, some of them are a little inconsistent even within the same material, and feel a touch tight here and there, like the trigger guard for example. The piece on the top front end of the receiver as well. The fire selector has some nice edges in it, but the very outside of the shape is quite sharp.

Also, try to challenge your self into integrating the ridges on the side of the mag. Those are small things that really bring a model to the next level!

Keep up the progress :thumbup:
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the response!

@s6 Yea I agree, edge width is always a difficult thing for me, especially on the small parts. Will definitely look over those, and yea, would look really cool and more true to life to have those ridges integrated, no doubt. Should be a nice challenge to make that look good!
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Ok, so I'm more or less done with the HP. I've tweaked the edge width so it shouldnt be too bad now. I will make the smaller surface details such as certain screws and ports with ndo later because the end result will look better and for me, it's just a better workflow!

dZzplaGo.jpg

drA3hDsa.jpg

Thanks all :)
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Nice rifle! High poly looks solid with nice soft edges :D Looking forward for the low poly!
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Could use a pic from behind ;)
    Does the gun have the notch that keeps the receiver cover attached to the rifle? The one on the back of the receiver.
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Xendance wrote: »
    Could use a pic from behind ;)
    Does the gun have the notch that keeps the receiver cover attached to the rifle? The one on the back of the receiver.

You can see it in the 3rd picture of the last post.

Looks good. Nice edges mostly although the areas s6 mentioned still look quite tight.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    So, after a summer break I'm back working at this.
    Finished the normal map baking today and started on adding some smaller surface details. Some stuff could have baked a bit nicer so I'll probably revisit those. :)

iL71u5V.jpg

2sqFOkB.jpg

And wires:

abquCgy.jpg

Just under 7k tris right now. This may be used in a project so I'm changing some details to avoid any sort of copyright issues. Thanks for stopping by! :)
  • ArtemSh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, looking good so far.

I've got a couple of questions. Do you mirror your mapping? Or you left the symmetry loop in the middle for another reason?

Also, is it a general purpose gun for portfolio, or you gonna use it in a FPS game?
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Hi Artem! Thanks a lot :)

Yea, I use mirroring where I feel I can get away with it, and in some places I use it so I don't have to have too long and stretched tris, but that's probably not a real issue with todays engines, and to be honest, in some places I really sohuld have gotten rid of it completely.

I'm planning on making this my first real PBR piece for the portfolio and I've also got some friends working on a project in UE4, so it may end up there, but not sure about that yet.
  • ArtemSh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I see:) Thanks for the answer, looking forward to see the textures!:)
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    YLDppfi.jpg

Fixed some baking issues and added some smaller details.
    Will bake AO now and then start studying some PBR!

Next update will hopefully be more fun :)
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Baked normal map / low poly AO and fixed up some stuff. Will soon begin with the PBR texturing. Gotta say I'm feeling pretty nervous about the whole thing with albedo / roughness / metalness maps. Not really sure how I should tackle it. Ah well!

cfiMFvt.jpg
  • ausernottaken
  • noscope
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys! This will be really handy. I've read that marmoset article once before but I will surely read it again.

Hm, I'm having a hard time figuring out what materials it's made of. I'm guessing most of the gun is metal, probably close to steel. And the grip, foregrip and mag is some kind of hard rubber, or polymer. Would that be somewhat correct? Sorry for being a noob when it comes to guns :)
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Gun's looking good!

I can't help you with the materials, but I'm sure you can find out on Google. Unless someone here can help you out. If that brings up nothing, ask on a gun forum. I'd personally avoid guessing what the materials are and actually do some research. Depends on how much of a perfectionist you are I guess :)
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    So, I've been practicing and learning today and my brain is still having problems understanding some of the PBR stuff but I'm making some progress at least!

Here's what I kind right now under two different lightning conditions
    (still VERY much a WIP):

FibahCz.jpg

Va76rgB.jpg

One thing I find really difficult is how different it looks with different lightning. It's pretty hard to tell if you're on the right track or not when it looks really cool one second, then you change the lightning a little bit and suddently it just feels "meh".
    All C&C is very welcomed! It's about time I learn about PBR.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Even paintings don't look good in the dark. If your model were in a game it would be under many different lighting situations which is the beauty of using PBR. You can tell if you're on the right track if things look good in all lighting conditions.

Obviously, when people show off their work they probably will use an environment that is bright like your first picture. The material definition is still good even on the second picture, it's just boring because of the lighting environment. It's always a good idea to block out materials with flat colors before you start adding detail. But you're doing great right now!

Keep at it.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Materials are looking great so far! It's good to test it in different lighting conditions, but as Deforges said, if the lighting is bad it will look bad regardless of good materials. It's just a matter of averaging out the results so it looks good in most conditions.

While there is nothing wrong with an HDRi like this, in most cases it will be very boring. http://www.mrbluesummers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Photo-studio-with-umbrella.jpg

Whereas one like this will give more interesting shading:
    (shameless self plug: I have a few free HDRis for marmoset on my site here)

On a side note, if the HDRi wasn't captured with enough exposures it might look like it would give good lighting but won't, since there's not enough contrast.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks guys! Awesome with helpful feedback. Oh, nice komaokc, will make sure to check them out!

Now I got a new problem, I've googled around and I have no idea whats happening to be honest. For some reason, my maps looks vastly different in marmoset vs 3do.

I've been using 3do so far because I think it's quicker to set up, but today I took a look at it in marmoset also, and its looking really strange.

Here's a picture:

yUt8pS6.jpg

I'm not too happy with how it looks in 3do either, but atleast there it looks "correct" so to speak. If anyone has any idea what's going on in marmoset I would be extremely grateful.

And here's my maps in marmoset:

dZzkZhK.jpg
  • SP3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SP3 polycounter lvl 10
    One thing you can try is check the invert box under ur gloss map, some programs have the gloss maps inverted like ue4 has it where black is smooth and white is rough, but marmoset 2 has it where black is rough and white is smooth
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    It should work. 3do uses a version of marmoset AFAIK http://dev.quixel.se/3do

Have you tried a different HDRi?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check the options on each texture in marmoset and see if you uncheck srgb it looks better
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3Do is based on Marmoset Skyshop, which is our shader pack for Unity. Its not quite the same thing but there are many similarities. Quixel have also altered the shaders quite a bit so its not really exactly like Skyshop or Toolbag at this point.

To me, it looks like the biggest difference is the lighting. 3Do has a dynamic light on by default, try adding some dynamic lights in Toolbag. Click in the panorama view in the sky light object automatically add a directional light, or manually place some point/spot lights to create more interesting lighting. You can also try swapping the sky light itself to a different lighting environment with more contrast.

Check out the Getting Started tutorial for more.

Also check out Ben Garnell's glock here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136641 for some ideas on lighting for guns.

Your model and bake look really great, however, the material looks a little bland. Try to push the material read further and make sure that metals, plastics, painted metal, etc each have a distinct read. You could also push some more detail into the gloss map for further surface variation.

Some unique wear, such as a scrape here, dent there, to show a specific event would really help as well. Really anything to give it some character and tell a bit of a story. The text on the stock, and the scrape by the safety are both good examples of what I'm talking about, I think you can push it further and add more stuff like that.

edit: It also looks like you've loaded a metalness map, but you have very little metal shown here. The majority of the gun is painted(painted metal is not metal, its paint), so your use of a metalness map with what looks like gray values doesn't make much sense. Hard to say without seeing the full textures though.
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    @SP3, komaokc, Pedro Amorim

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

@EarthQuake

Yea, you're correct, I didn't actually place any lights of my own in the scene. Perhaps it's more important to do so with PBR to get a good result?
    From what I can remember, other assets I've done without the PBR workflow has looked pretty good with the default lightning in marmoset.

Yea, to be honest I've been a bit afraid to push the values like I normally do because I'm afraid to break the, so to speak, correct PBR values. Will definitely work on the materials more!

About the metalness map, yea, it's pretty much only screws, bolts and scratches in that map. The gun will be used in UE4 so that's why I went with the metalness workflow. I'm making a lot of mistakes so again, thanks so much for helping me out.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon wrote: »
    @SP3, komaokc, Pedro Amorim

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

@EarthQuake

Yea, you're correct, I didn't actually place any lights of my own in the scene. Perhaps it's more important to do so with PBR to get a good result?
    From what I can remember, other assets I've done without the PBR workflow has looked pretty good with the default lightning in marmoset.

It sort of depends, if you have a very reflective material, it can look really cool without much work. If your model has a more matte surface you'll be better off spending some more time on interesting lighting.
    Yea, to be honest I've been a bit afraid to push the values like I normally do because I'm afraid to break the, so to speak, correct PBR values. Will definitely work on the materials more!
    Yeah, well you can do a lot of stuff to add interest without breaking the basic "rules". A lot of it is stylistic, like how much wear you want to add (up to you really). If you want a really clean and realistic look you're not far off, if you want something a bit more beat up and interesting you can push it further.

Surface variation on the other hand, while you used to do a lot of in the spec map, now you can add a lot of variation in the gloss. Think about all the different things that could give you variance in the gloss: Dirt, dust, minor scuffs/scratches/scrapes, oil buildup, finger prints, basic surface variation (grainy platics/metals), etc.
    About the metalness map, yea, it's pretty much only screws, bolts and scratches in that map. The gun will be used in UE4 so that's why I went with the metalness workflow. I'm making a lot of mistakes so again, thanks so much for helping me out.
    Ah ok cool, I couldn't really tell from the small thumbnail there. Just make sure you're not setting the painted metal parts to like a dark grey instead of black, because that means the material would act as a partial metal (not very many materials are partial metals IRL).
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks SO MUCH for all the help guys :)
    Learned a lot making this little gun. Especially during the texturing.
    Calling this one done for now, some stuff could definitely be better but it still feels pretty good for my first shot at PBR.

rk62_01.jpg

rk62_05.jpg

rk62_06.jpg

rk62_03.jpg

Sorry if the pictures are a bit big!
    More pictures over at www.simonjonasson.com
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    Is it really that bad? :D
    No but seriously, I'm not trying to fish for compliments, would just be nice to know what I should improve for the next PBR gun! :)
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Well, it looks like the rifle I had in the army :P

One small thing: If that rifle would be used in a game, you'd probably want to give the rear sight more UV space. Right now it looks a bit low-res. What's the texture resolution?
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    @Xendance

Yea you are right! I unwrapped them unnormalized and that usually makes everythig the same size, but something must have been messed up with the rear sight mesh so it thought it was smaller than it was or something. So yea, the rear sight doesnt look too nice, totally agree with you.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice work Simon!

you might want to try out more with some interesting lighting.

look at this example of Patrick Sutton, he has a pretty good light setup that make the material really pop

Render%2001.jpg
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    @Nam.Nguyen

Thank you! Now when I see that beauty I totally agree, haha.
    Makes my lightning look really boring in comparison ^^
    Will definitely set up better lightning and take new pictures.
  • noscope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    hay dude possible to see your textures? would help a ton with something im doing. =) materials came out nice btw!
  • Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    @noscope

Hey man! Thanks :) Yea sure. They are posted at the bottom of this site:
    http://simonjonasson.com/rk62/
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing that bothers me about this is how monotone the material is. I've looked at the reference and see its pretty much all just painted flat matte black irl, so this isn't really a problem with your art per say, its just the rk62 on its own is a bit boring.

I would suggest adding an add-on scope/sight/grenade launcher/grip, really anything to break up the standard AK shape and give you another material to work with.