Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PETROL/BLOOD - Muzz

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
Eh, i seem to be making this thing anyway, and it matches up with this comp.

That being said i have a precedent to keep up of never finishing anything for a contest since last man standing.... (i was 16 last time i finished something for a competition... that's almost a decade.... fuuuuuck).

anyhow. I've been working on some designs for a RTS i want to make, and im currently sorting out a workflow to make that possible. So far i've been messing with substance designer and modo with mesh fusion and i've been pretty happy with this workflow so far. I'm going to adapt one of the two bike designs from this sheet i made for this competition.

hm7ehCo.jpg?1

MONOBIKEMONOBIKEMONOBIKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhpO_WcR_jE

ANyEy9J.png?1

I'll have to draw up the second one as well before i decide.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers bro.

Here's that one drawn up better... i think i threw out my combo scanner printer last move. Fuck.

oh well since we are just interested in design, i'll put up this shitty photo. The nosecone didn't fit on so i just pasted it on from a second drawing. (first photo was less shit because during the day the sunlight is more diffused.)

3LJI3Lr.jpg?1

Also... i'm not going to enter this contest. I'm not interested in entering because i don't want to use ddo. So i'm still going to do this, i'm just not going to submit. I'm making this for myself to test out a new workflow for a game idea, not as a test drive their tool so that i might one day want to buy their software. So take this as a protest against that move to restrict tech in a community contest.

Also it's not a protest against the companies, it's just about the shitty watermark and software requirements.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    KQ44Drr.png?1

Blockout Numbero Uno done, think I'm going to actually make both bikes.
  • Vrav
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, I feel you on the sponsor requirements but I'm glad you're sharing your process on this anyway. The monobikeis a rad design, the shapes remind me of the ships in Nausicaa. Dig the concepts up top for the larger vehicles and characters, too -- a cohesive & fleshed out world comes to mind.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Since you're not participating in the contest, I'll move this to 3D P&P for you. Good luck with your workflow and game idea, the vehicle looks interesting.

Also, I replied with this to your comment in the Q&A thread: The "water mark" isn't a requirement, the PSD was uploaded to help anyone out who wanted to use them. I've clarified that on the contest page.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam: I understand why you have moved me.

I'm glad to hear that the water marks aren't a requirement, but i hope that you can understand the bad taste in my mouth from the sponsor requirements.

Community competitions are supposed to be about the community, and to host one means to do everything within your power to make the experience better for the participants.

It's a lot like having a local super market sponsor the little league with the requirement that the kids are only allowed to drink Gatorade. Sure the sponsorship money is great, and hell the drink might not even be that bad, but as soon as you remove the choice then you are making the experience more limited for the participants in favor of appeasing sponsors.

The Irony being that the only reason why we have sponsors being that they supply prizes which the entire point was to improve the contest. I remember the most hyped contests came before any real promise of prizes, not that prizes are bad... Just at what cost do we want them?

Vrav: Thanks! For this project i am definitely trying to wear my influences on my shoulder. While early Miyazaki isn't a specific reference point it belongs to a group of wonderful mechanical design in anime.

The biggest reference point being an anime called Venus wars, everything from the names to the world to the cliched anime goodness 80's story is awesome. The enemy nation called Ishtar, the flying gunships, the mono-cycles and the bulking tanks. This stuff was mostly designed by a guy called Makoto Kobayashi, Though his own personal story stuff is weird as hell. (the short folm dragons heaven, while using a unique art style, starts out with 5 min of live action where weird mech models being moved around under fog with anime sound effects added!)

The second one would be an anime called the wings of Honneamise, the aircraft designs in particular come to mind.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    YsMaF2k.png?1

Worked out that I'm really not a modo guy. Back to 3ds for me.

Also... maybe we should change the thread title to something a bit less confusing... If a mod reads this could you please change the thread title to "Muzz - RTS units"

I'm probably going into way too much detail here for modelling a rts unit... But in the end this is just as much about learning hard surface modelling properly as opposed to what i usually do.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    uBAx4pZ.png?1

Crappy dudebro mockup.