Home General Discussion

E3 2014

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    X looks amazing!

new Zelda looks fantastic... love the style and look of it.

So far all announcements from Nintendo has been awesome.

Nintendo kinda gets it.. so far i've been giddy with excitement with some of their announcements. having fun so far with this nintendo direct. :D
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    meh, more of the same from Nintendo. Don't think this is going to convert anyone.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Splatoon has to be one of the most innovative takes on a shooter I have seen in a very long time.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Splatoon looks AWESOME!!!! I am pleasantly surprised by nintendo. Was not expecting that. wow.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Hermit wrote: »
    Well, I actually enjoy this E3. However, I really dislike the fact that CEOs or Vice-Presidents are doing the presentations instead of actual game developers. I won't buy a game, because the CEO of a company is X or Y.

Didn't we learn from this already?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhmYENdFZc8

we DID have it before

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6OCnvvkSLM"]E3 2010 Konami Press Conference Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

:D yay
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    That Wii U exclusive seems like Duke Nukem if it took itself too seriously.

~EDIT~

But maybe not, considering how weird the multiplayer was.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ glottis - It just looks awesome!
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Is it just me or does this one seem more technological?
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    It looks more like the space magic stuff from like Wind Waker.

Star Fox and Zelda make me super excited.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    The world looks beautiful, but link's design looks a little generic to me. Just seems like they're playing it a bit safe.

Star Fox on the other hand, bring it.
  • HitmonInfinity
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Here is a full resolution screenshot form Zelda all in game:

ish6nntkdak3pdvq7i3v.bmp
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Splatoon looks better than every other FPS from yesterday's conferences.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Nintendo are so insular and feel so far behind the rest of the industry. It's literally 90% the same game we had last gen and the gen before and before with them. No-one particularly blew me away this E3 but they looked well below visually and mechanically the rest. They even referred to their latest addition as a toy.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    glottis8 wrote: »
    cqqqfh.gif
    iixkvb.gif
    dahvfi.gif

XVO.png

Damn, that looks good.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    There's a huge Studio Ghibli on the look of the new Zelda, I think. I've skipped the past couple of Zelda games, but I'm keen to play this one.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    This new zelda really feels like a Ghibli movie. Especially in terms of particle animation and creatures motion.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super wrote: »
    Nintendo are so insular and feel so far behind the rest of the industry. It's literally 90% the same game we had last gen and the gen before and before with them. No-one particularly blew me away this E3 but they looked well below visually and mechanically the rest. They even referred to their latest addition as a toy.

I don't have a particular interest in Nintendo, but how was the rest of E3 different? What games shown are completely unique to this gen and could not have been accomplished in a similar/near-exact capacity several years ago?

Also, what is the problem with describing a game as a toy? Especially when those games are marketed towards younger audiences? Miyamoto himself has talked numerous times about his love to see children play his games.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    The Last of Us Remastered, if that counts.
    Sort of. I'm looking forward to it, since I didn't get a chance to play it on the PS3. Still looking for 'new' titles, but it will help fill the game. I'm mainly looking for games to justify buying a nextgen system.
    Shiniku wrote: »
    Far Cry 4 is toward the end of this year
    Hmm, I must have confused it's release date with something else. I thought it was scheduled for early next year.
    25 free to play games on the PS4 this year - I look forward to all the gamer hate tears.
    Yeah, I'm looking forward to trying Planetside 2. I wish they had talked more about the upcoming F2P, rather than just montaging clips.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    There's a huge Studio Ghibli on the look of the new Zelda, I think. I've skipped the past couple of Zelda games, but I'm keen to play this one.

At least play Link Between Worlds. It has a non-linear dungeon order so it could be a good idea on how the new Zelda will work.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    In case it hasn't been mentioned .
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yKv45X_OIo"]Star Wars Battlefront | Official Trailer |E3 2014 - YouTube[/ame]
    Edit :: d'oh, it has. nevermind :icon60:
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I wasn't watching anything live today but I just got off Nintendo's youtube channel after watching every new video they uploaded in the last hour and I'm really impressed. They definitely had the best material to show off in my opinion.

I really love that Yoshi game they showed off, it's like the Yoshi's Story sequel I always wanted to play. Just watching the gameplay video made me happy, it has such beautiful art and looks like a ton of fun.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vR8EHatIIE"]Wii U - Yoshi's Woolly World E3 2014 Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

The new Zelda game also looks great, and I'm not sure if there was a gameplay video or not but it looks like there's a new Star Fox also!
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Mstankow wrote: »
    At least play Link Between Worlds. It has a non-linear dungeon order so it could be a good idea on how the new Zelda will work.

I should have said, I did play and enjoy that one. Some great new items and dungeons, for sure. I meant I've not played Wind Waker HD or Skyward Sword.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    In case it hasn't been mentioned .
    Star Wars Battlefront | Official Trailer |E3 2014 - YouTube
    Edit :: d'oh, it has. nevermind :icon60:

Yes! :D
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro wrote: »
    The new Zelda game also looks great, and I'm not sure if there was a gameplay video or not but it looks like there's a new Star Fox also!

Yea... it was said that it was running in engine on the WiiU i believe.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

so.... If Little Big Planet were made by Nintendo?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Bayonetta 2!! yay October :)
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14

Yeaaaaaaah! I might actually buy a Wii-U for this game. It looks super awesome.

Love the 2-player co-op.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so.... If Little Big Planet were made by Nintendo?
    The art actually looks very similar now that you mention it. I love the art style in LBP, I wish more games were as colorful and friendly.

Nintendo also announced Mario Maker which is basically just an easy to use level editor. While it's pretty unimpressive (since PC gamers have had this for many years now) it will be interesting to see what custom content can be made now that every player will have access to simple level creation tools.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLS458ekSEI"]Wii U - Mario Maker E3 2014 Announcement Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

The New Super Mario Brothers game on the original Wii is a lot of fun and I frequently play it with friends and family, so I'm quite excited for this as it basically means an infinite supply of free DLC lol.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    I was excited for project spark, but since the announcement yesterday....I know hate Microsoft.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t_Co0gfj18"]CONKER IS TOTALLY BACK GUYS - YouTube[/ame]
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Splatoon actually looks like a lot of fun and the Yoshi game looks very pretty.

I'm also excited that they announced the Ace Attorney Trilogy and a release date for Layton vs Ace Attorney. That and Fantasy Life, I've wanted that game for such a long time and it finally seems like Level 5 is finishing up their big games to localize.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I'm looking forward to the open world approach to Zelda. Skyward Sword was such a major let down I'd all but lost faith in Zelda completely. But there seems to be a glimmer of hope now, although is it me or has Link become overly feminine? Seriously that slim figure, girly face & eyes. :D
    The vista shot looks nice tho.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    CordellC wrote: »
    I don't have a particular interest in Nintendo, but how was the rest of E3 different? What games shown are completely unique to this gen and could not have been accomplished in a similar/near-exact capacity several years ago?

They don't evolve. They still have bosses, with their 3 hit kills for example. Same old same old. The Yoshi game could've been done 10 years ago. Customisable characters in a fighting game? This is a huge deal now? Buying a little figure and putting it on your controller is necessary? Ugh.
    Also, what is the problem with describing a game as a toy? Especially when those games are marketed towards younger audiences? Miyamoto himself has talked numerous times about his love to see children play his games.

Where did I say it was a problem? I personally consider them a medium but whatever. The point is, by saying it is a toy is exactly what the fanboys would get all pissy about if you or I said it.

There is a reason Nintendo is selling fewer and fewer nowdays and this is it. Most have moved beyond them.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Ah, so nice to have some faith in Nintendo restored. Skyward Sword was a huge let down, its world was less immersive and full of more seams than any other Zelda game prior, it's monster designs were very uninspired and dull, and of course the low resolution made it look worse than older games like Wind Waker.

But the brief footage of the new Zelda has me totally pumped, it's a beautiful marriage of the painterly style they didn't really pull off very well with Skyward Sword, combined with some Wind Waker-esque looking lighting/effects, and much better design as a whole. The open world is guaranteed to bring back the feeling of a consistent Hyrule (or whatever it is) that was completely lost in Skyward Sword (lol look guys the forest is literally right next to the volcano, you can only drop down from one single hole in the sky into each area, the sky islands can't see the world below due to a thick layer of clouds yet on the surface it's always a bright sunny day, etc).

Obviously looking forward to the ruby/sapphire remakes, new Yoshi game looks cool, Hyrule Warriors is a definite buy for me, and even Splatoon looked pretty creative and fun (though I don't usually do multiplayer stuff on consoles, I can appreciate the idea).

Good show! :)
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    IM SO PUMPED FOR MAGICKA 2

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDj6bjvDiY0"]Magicka 2 - E3 2014 Announcement Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

ITS ONE OF MY FAVORITE FREAKING GAMES EVER
    OMG

-dies-
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    That Dead Island trailer made me laugh so hard... loved it!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    It's literally 90% the same game we had last gen and the gen before and before with them....They don't evolve. Same old same old.
    What else did we really see take the stage? Assassins Creed 7, Far Cry 4, Halo 7, Battlefield 10, Call of Duty 11, Mortal Kombat 11, fill-in-the-blank 4, a few remakes or updates to titles that haven't been out for a couple of years, at least two re-releases of games that literally haven't even been out for one year yet...

That's how games work though. It's how natural selection and the marketplace work (and just about anything else). If they were doing something wrong then these titles wouldn't have the sales needed to be this many sequels in. They're going to evolve but they're not going to change into something completely different any more than a giraffe will become an alligator just for the hell of it. Zelda will have its dungeons and expected boss-puzzle patterns. Mario Karts will have their turtle shells and power slides with a familiar roster. Ubisoft games will have silent takedowns, random item looting, and pan around parkour-accessed towers that unlock more of a map. Etc.

Personally I'm looking forward to their lineup of exclusives. At this rate it will still be at least November before I find a compelling reason to take my ps4 out of the box, as a lot of the games I'm interested in also appear to have a pc version as well.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They don't evolve. They still have bosses, with their 3 hit kills for example. Same old same old. The Yoshi game could've been done 10 years ago. Customisable characters in a fighting game? This is a huge deal now? Buying a little figure and putting it on your controller is necessary? Ugh.

Where did I say it was a problem? I personally consider them a medium but whatever. The point is, by saying it is a toy is exactly what the fanboys would get all pissy about if you or I said it.

There is a reason Nintendo is selling fewer and fewer nowdays and this is it. Most have moved beyond them.
    Does any game really evolve? At the end of the day you're just pushing down on a piece of plastic for a few hours. If somebody has fun along the way, then what's the problem?

All I've seen in the last few years from many developers are games that are trying so hard to be "realistic" and "dark" with endless war/killing/shooting/etc. Where is the evolution in any of that?

Nintendo might not change their game formulas much, but their games are always a relaxing, fun break from the usual. I dare anybody to play Mario Kart 8 and say it isn't fun.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evolution was seriously limited by the poor in-order CPUs of previous consoles. And the PS3 really needed a lot its SPU power to compensate for the RSX's comparably weaker graphics performance. Also, as time went on it became more and more important to improve the graphics even further, and implement tech that was almost too much for these old systems.

Unfortunately the new console CPUs aren't that much faster but at least they're now out-of-order, so maybe we will see more complex gameplay systems. More memory will surely help as well. But these things take a lot of time to build, whereas graphics are mostly about extending the existing capabilities so it's easier to just turn the knobs up to a higher setting.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You missed my point. You said how Nintendo's games were basically recycled and "behind the rest of the industry." I asked what exactly was the "rest of the industry" doing that Nintendo supposedly wasn't? All of the games from E3 are 90% the same from last gen.
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    its just tiresome to look at those Nintendo games these days, surely the new Mario Kart looks good but isn't it just a nice iteration over the previous, i recalled they revamped the whole style for Zelda years ago, they adopted a refreshing cel style instead of boring generic 3d, thats what i called ahead of the rest of the industry, it seems they lost the guts or simply dont want to bother anymore.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    weee wrote: »
    its just tiresome to look at those Nintendo games these days, surely the new Mario Kart looks good but isn't it just a nice iteration over the previous, i recalled they revamped the whole style for Zelda years ago, they adopted a refreshing cel style instead of boring generic 3d, thats what i called ahead of the rest of the industry, it seems they lost the guts or simply dont want to bother anymore.

How are any of the other comapnies any different. We are on the 15th Call of Duty, the like 17th Assassin's Creed, the 7th Halo, the 7th Far Cry, the 6th Uncharted. I could go on, but you see the point ( I am including hand held games). I don't understand how it's any different.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    stevston89 wrote: »
    How are any of the other comapnies any different. We are on the 15th Call of Duty, the like 17th Assassin's Creed, the 7th Halo, the 7th Far Cry, the 6th Uncharted. I could go on, but you see the point ( I am including hand held games). I don't understand how it's any different.

That's generous - if you count all individual releases in the series (not including ports). I included Anniversary and the Master Collection as single titles in the Halo list.

25th Call of Duty, 12th Halo, 12th Assassin's Creed (I thought there were more too?)

So much sequel.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    ambershee wrote: »
    So much sequel.
    weee wrote: »

It's simple really, for all gamers hark about it, they don't want new, innovate, creative titles. What we all really gravitate towards are sequels, sequels, sequels. The sales numbers prove this, instead of typing out sales numbers you can check out the video or not. Either ways, all these games are fun and I'm looking forward to playing all of them...even project spark.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxhs-GLE29Q"]Game Theory: Are Gamers Killing Video Games? - YouTube[/ame]
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    spiderDude wrote: »
    It's simple really, for all gamers hark about it, they don't want new, innovate, creative titles. What we all really gravitate towards are sequels, sequels, sequels. The sales numbers prove this, instead of typing out sales numbers you can check out the video or not. Either ways, all these games are fun and I'm looking forward to playing all of them...even project spark.

Exactly and it's always been like that. Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Banjo and Kazooie, Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Mega Man, etc. They are all sequel/ series driven games ever since ps1/n64 days. Even some back into super nintendo days. There have always been sequel driven games and there are a lot more now than there was before.
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    I thought Microsofts presentation was pretty awesome this year,, one game to the next. I felt Sony should have done the same, it was a little slow and dragged out. Nintendo's impressed me most, I enjoyed that digital event. Everything was well done, from the robot chicken skit, the hilarious Iwata/Reggie fight (someone gif it please), to the actual games. Super exited for Zelda, Xenoblade X and Bayonetta1&2 combo.
  • Third
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz wrote: »
    the hilarious Iwata/Reggie fight (someone gif it please)

Polygon's got your back: http://www.polygon.com/e3-2014/2014/6/10/5797018/iwata-vs-fils-aime-the-frame-by-frame-fight

DIRECTDOUKEN!
    iwata-recovers.gif
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    notman wrote: »
    Were any of these titles targeted for this year? The only games that I saw releases dates announced for, were all for 2015 :(
    oh yea loads, just not the ones everyone's talking about
    http://www.gamesradar.com/upcoming-ps4-games/

Also I have my first game at e3 this year, I almost exploded with excitement when I saw a screenshot on stage at the microsoft conference :P I'm still on a high from it all
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1gW7J2SHIY