Home General Discussion

New 3D Artist/ Help

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
New Artist laptop help Title type error

I have a couple of questions though

1. Which GPU would you guys get?
I can choose between the GTX 870m 6GB or the K1100 Quadro 2GB. Which one is better in your opinion when using for example Max, Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush, UE4, CE3 etc.

I'm also going for 32 GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD is that to much?

Here is the link to all the specs
http://www.malibal.com/boutique/pc/configurePrd.asp?idProduct=625

Please tell me what you guys think.

Replies

• SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    32gb ram seems stupidly overkill. like nothing I have seen requires 32gb of ram to run something.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
    Why is that ?
    R there any cons.
    Isn't more ram always better.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    32 GB of RAM?

You're never gonna need that much, Having more doesn't make your computer faster

It's like buying 500 years worth of food for your self, you're only going to live 100 years, buying 500 years worth isn't going to make you live for 500 years.

Same logic with RAM, The computer will only use what you need, the rest will be wasted, In fact when it comes to larger capacities it may become slower, RAM is meant to be handled in small packets, throwing 32GB just means your computer has to sift through more space to get what it needs which is why a lot of people like to divide their RAM into as many sticks as possible.(I someone correct me if I'm wrong)

From my experience, When it comes to 3D the ABSOLUTE most you're going to throw at it is 12-16 GB, and even then that is for a VERY detailed Zbrush sculpt and HIGHLY unlikely to ever get to that point.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Spiffy wrote: »
    From my experience, When it comes to 3D the ABSOLUTE most you're going to throw at it is 12-16 GB, and even then that is for a VERY detailed Zbrush sculpt and HIGHLY unlikely to ever get to that point.
    Zbrush is still a 32 bit app, it can't even use that much memory. The most it can use is 4 GB. (Pixologic has said 5 will be 64-bit.)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    like other said 32 gig is WAY over unless you are doing Vray Renders , even then still alot. Id get 8GB its a good solid amount right now.

GPU wise doesnt matter that much anything mid range will do, high will only benefit in games
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Desktop. Cheaper, larger screen, better workspace, upgradeable in the long Run, better components and and a hugely better workspace. Just sayin unless you are crazy passionate about using a laptop and move around enough to justify it, powerful laptops for 3d are huge and heavy. I much prefer my desktop coming from my g74sx laptop
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    8gb is not enough for super high res sculpts in zbrush. I have an 8gb machine and a 32gb machine and there is a significant difference. Granted, the ram is not the only thing making it faster but it helps. Even at my last job we went from 8 to 16gb on the same machines and it makes a huge difference. Not just with sculpting but with baking as well. If you can afford it, I see no reason to avoid getting the full capacity.