Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cremuss' handpainted thread

Cremuss
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
Hello :)

I've not been super productive lately but hopefully motivation is flowing back and so I'm starting a thread to show my adventures with handpainted art.

To get started, here is a few wooden planks textures that I started to paint a few days ago with Krita 2.8.

HandPaintedWoodTextures_rc1.jpg

More stuff to come soon !
As usual C&C welcome ;)

regards,

Replies

• Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello !

More hand painted textures with some rocks this time !

HandPaintedRockTextures_rc1.jpg
    C&C welcome :)
    More handpainted textures to come soon, then I think I'll go for a hand painted fantasy weapon. It's been ages since I wanted to do one !
    Regards!
  • explodingseashells
    wow mate these are really fantastic, i love the depth you've rendered! Might i ask why you use Krita and not something like photoshop? what advantages do you find with it?
  • Joltya
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Very cool. Some of them look almost real. This might be a silly question, but are these just diffuse, or do you have any other types of maps on them?
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    So good dude! MOAR!
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    explodingseashells >Thanks :) Concerning Krita, well I just don't own a Windows or Photoshop license so I have to stick on linux right now. But it's just tools anyway, it doesn't matter much to me. I feel comfortable with krita, it has all the tools I need, 16 bits, canvas rotation, layers effects, awesome brush system, a seamless painting tool which is so cool and the software is very easy to use :)

JoltZero > Thanks :) Yes, diffuse only with one ambiant light and two point lights, one redish in the top left corner, one blueish in the bottom right corner.

Fwap > Thanks. I appreciate it :) I'll do my best to update the thread as often as I can
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    so awesome mate, keep up the great wrk:>
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    these are some pretty sexy textures.
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    hi !

Thanks for the support and kind words, I appreciate it !

Here is 5 more. I'm not too happy about those, especially the second which was a pain in the ass but well, I need to move on :)

HandPaintedBrickTextures_rc1.jpg

C&C welcome !
    regards
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Wow. Spectacular dude. I'm loving every bit of these. I'm assuming by looking at your portfolio that you're aiming for something like work on a Diablo-esque title?

If so, I'd say you're won the right track!
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks anglorum !
    Yeah Diablo serie is my absolute all time favorite so it'd be great to work on a diablo-like title, but I'm interested in other work as well :poly142:
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    New stuff ! :)

Some earth textures, lava, dry earth and muddy rocky textures. I used a specular map for the last two texture just to give the water some readability, otherwise the reste is 100% diffuse only as usual.

I still spend a lot of time to do these, overall I feel like I'm improving on a few things so it's going in a good direction I think but I definitly need to work on my speed.
    HandPaintedEarthTextures_rc1.jpg

Next : vegetation textures, grass, leaves, flowers and such. Then, I think I'll take a break from those and finally do that handpainted weapon I've been talking about.

C&C welcome!
    Regards,
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    beautiful textures! That last set is awesome! Lovin it.
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce > Thanks :)

I've been sick the past two weeks so it has been hard to produce anything but here is a new set of handpainted textures. I've been toying with diverse techniques for the grass and all and overall I learned a few tricks so I'm satisfied :\
    It will be the last set for now I think, I should do more in the futur but for now I want to focus on something a bit more 3D : handpainted weapons coming next.

HandPaintedNatureTextures1_rc1.jpgHandPaintedNatureTextures2_rc1.jpg
    C&C welcome !

Regards,
  • Stockwell
  • dsenter
    Offline / Send Message
    dsenter polycounter lvl 3
    My god. I'm just sitting here grinning looking at those - awesome work!
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Awesome work! any normals on these?
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Rogelio > Thanks ! No normals at all, just plain diffuse (except for the two muddy/wattery rocky textures where I used an additionnal spec map)

Dsenter > Thanks, I appreciate it :)

Sotckwell > Thx
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Do you happen to have any in-progress shots or WIPs you can show us, to see your progression through some of these? I am particularly interested in the 4th one down in this image.

Your presentation of these is pretty fantastic.
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, once again... those are awesome! I'd also be interested in WIPs or any tips! And I can't wait to see some weapons!
    Are you planning on doing some environments in the future? I'd love to see that.
  • Memory
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    Cremuss these textures are the tits. Can we get some breakdowns or workflow advice? I would love to make my own shit look as hot as yours.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Awesome textures, they just keep getting better!
  • Kimon
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    I can't believe that leaf texture is only diffuse. I mean, ofc I believe you, but it's just so damn good. I swear to god those leafs are gonna fall out from my monitor any second.
  • killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    these are really nice
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the support !

Concerning the WIP shots, unfortunatly I do not have much to show at all. I often merge a lot of the layers during the production so in the end there's not much left to show and I didn't kept any WIP files but I will think on it the next time ! :\

Two Listen > Concerning this particular grass texture, it's the only texture of the last two sets where I experimented the technique shown with the Siege of Ogrimmar texture thread so the grass is actual real 3d geometry. :poly124: I did not bother to texture it or anything, I just extracted as much informations as possible from the 3d meshes to paint as easily as possible the final texture.

So I baked some AO, Shadows, Depth, Normals maps, Specular, I also rendered the scene with different lighting conditions and I also created a lot of selection masks too, which is I think quite important and by far the most important technique that I use. For Instance I rendered fractions of the grass in different layers so I could select some of the grass blandes only, quickly and easily to paint some color variation and all. Same with the depth, I used the depth as a mask to quickly paint stuff on the ground and not on the top of the grass without bothering with the edge control... Then it's all about mixing everything together, adding color, handpainting some shadows, details, specular... :poly142:

I also often use a technique where I paint a few transparent textures (like just paint a few grass blades and make some variations with different shapes and colors) and use those textures on 3D planes to duplicate the grass here and there. Then it's just about rendering, creating masks and different layers and extracting as much informations as possible, just like I explained with the 3D meshes, to have as much control over your texture as possible. I feel like edge control is the most important part for me. Then handpaint details/lighting/ground/shadows so the texture looks like a whole thing and not just random duplicated grass planes, and every grass blades feels grounded and unique. This technique has the advantage to let you use the transparent textures afterwards, in a realtime scene, like to put some grass blades on top of the ground texture, and both fits pretty well since the transparent textures were used to make the ground one... well, I don't know if I'm clear :poly141:

But in most cases, I just paint from scratch, nothing fancy. I feel like the trick for me is thinking that my texture has depth and is made of layers. Like for the leaves, some are on top of the others, some are deep down at ground level, some are partially burried in the ground, so paint shadows/lighting/specular according to this height information and hopefully this will work. Colored shadows are quite important too.

Sometimes I also mix the three techniques above, so overall I don't paint my textures using one straight method, I feel like I just use all the tools I have to get the result I want.

That's all the advices I can think of right now... Hopefully this will help somebody :) And sorry for the bad english.
  • mbischof
    Holy Fuck. Good work man
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey ! Me again.
    Here is a first weapon to warm up. A quick ghetto style one handed axe.

HandPaintedAxe1_rc1.jpg
    Let me know what you think ! C&C welcome !

Regards,
  • rory
    Offline / Send Message
    rory polycounter lvl 5
    Some great work here Cremuss. Good start to your axe. Though I think the way the blade reads right now is confusing. Like a mixture between stone and metal.
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, I totally agree. The dents and all looks more like cracks in stone and the overall shading is weird. I will retexture the blade tomorrow :)
    Now it's time to go to bed, good night !
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Double post, sorry about that. Here is a slight improvement on the blade texture as promised. I think it's a bit better, at least I guess it's the best I can do for now. I'll move on the next weapon to learn a bit more about metal painting.HandPaintedAxe1_rc2.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    awesome work man!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I like the axe design overall and awesome to see your progress. Definitely working at it.

One thing I wouldn't ever say 'quick' anything. I've found that it comes across as unfocused and lacking attention to detail that you need to have with this style. That's fine if it's fast but don't say that. Take your time and go through your checklist of haves for everything.

I did a really fast stepped paintover. I see a lot of the same pitfalls with prop work. The main thing is value separation. The eye needs to be able to tell what and where the different materials are.

jeffparrott_cremussAxe_po001.gif

I don't want this to come across as a beat down or discourage you. Your work is really nice and it's inspiring for me to see your progress. Keep at it!
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey !

Bradmyers82 > Thanks !

Jeff Parrott > Wooo ! Thanks a lot for the very helpful feedback !! I agree with everything. I still don't have the skill to see my props only in values so it's definitely something I have to practice. I guess I should use a B&W filter more often or just train my eyes !

Concerning the "quick" comment, I agree, I shouldn't say that :)

Anyway, I tried to apply your critics and here is a third version !
    HandPaintedAxe1_rc3.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Dope! You're awesome at working in feedback from here too. Really good attitude. A lot of people would just argue things a bunch. One approach is to work in greyscale till you're 60% done with it. At least until you have a really good handle on hue and saturation once you have value down.

The prop reads a lot better now. Nice work! Can't wait to see what you do next.
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    You've got some neat stuff here, good progress!

A few comments/crits, if you don't mind:

-The wood tileables are very flat and sharp. Not enough of a bevel to them.

-Tiling rocks look nice! One or two of them could use more subtle breakup in the shapes to help add some variation. (cracks, vary the shapes/damaging)

I think the axe is much better prior to the tweaks you made. Things are getting real muddy, probably due to a gradient being added. Desaturating something in photoshop won't show you values, it just grays stuff out. Your values were fine, it could benefit from painting some AO in there and some subtle/soft color variation.

Try adding some compliments (green/orange into the wood). Some browns (rust) would look good on the metal, in addition to some soft blue/greens; it's a bit dull right now.

Hope this helps in some way. :)
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi !

Jeff Parrott > Thanks for the kind words ! I'm hear to learn so it would be a shame not to take care of critics :)

Mcejn > Thanks for the critics ! I agree with the wood being a bit flat, though I did that on purpose for one or two textures. I think it's good in some cases that environment textures don't pop too much so the player/monsters reads better (like D3) But I agree, stronger bevel would not hurt anyone :)

Concerning the axe, yeah well I'm still not sure what to do with the overall contrast of my texture and all, but I think Jeff Parrott made some pretty good points. In the other hand I think most of WoW handpainted weapons looks very flat without much contrast on values or without any strong top/down blend, and it tends to work well too I think. They rely a lot on colors to separate materials. So I'm definitely still experimenting with different styles and finding what I really want to do :)

That being said, here is one last go for this axe. I tweaked a lot of things, added some details, subtle colors on the wood, blade, painted a stronger AO and adjusted a bit some gradients here and there. It's the version I like the most so I'll stop here. You can't please everyone right :)
    HandPaintedAxe1_rc4.jpg
    Next is a dagger and a two handed sword.
  • iangoold3d
    Offline / Send Message
    iangoold3d polycounter lvl 5
    dude..... these are truly AMAZING :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
  • Mcejn
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Good work and good attitude amigo. It can be tough to know who has good advice and who just doesn't know what they're talking about. The axe looks fine and I'd agree to just move on to the next thing. You have to pull back a lot on certain things, especially with textures when working on real projects because if everything is busy visually, then it's all fighting for attention and it just doesn't work. Though the bevels on the wood would be there mostly to add some depth, not contrast. :)

The last bit of criticism would be that it's a bit unbalanced right now because of the shading in the middle of the wood. Brightening up the straps a bit would help, having the shading not be cast over everything in such a uniform way.

again, good progress!
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone !

Well that took literally forever to complete haha, but here it is : a few handpainted weapons as promised.

I went back and forth a lot on almost every each of these, some models went to garbage, some textures as well so I definitely struggled a lot but I think I finally managed to get something that I'm pretty happy with. The main goal for me was to be as consistent as possible and make it feels that every weapons belong to the same world.

HandPaintedWeapons_Axe1_rc1.jpgHandPaintedWeapons_Axe2_rc1.jpgHandPaintedWeapons_Axe3_rc1.jpgHandPaintedWeapons_Dagger1_rc1.jpgHandPaintedWeapons_Dagger2_rc1.jpgHandPaintedWeapons_Sword1_rc1.jpgHandPaintedWeapons_Sword2_rc1.jpgHandPaintedWeapons_Mace1_rc1.jpgHandPaintedWeapons_Mace2_rc1.jpgHandPaintedWeapons_Spear1_rc1.jpgHandPaintedWeapons_Wires&Flat_rc1.jpg

As usual, C&C welcome !!
    Regards,
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Great work! The textures look sooo awesome! Loving them. That shinyness... I love it.
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce > Thanks :D
    Next on the list I think is some environment props/scene. I'll experiment with a more cartoony style so we'll see how it goes ^^
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    These are stellar! Keep it up.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I would say just stay with this style because these weapons are beautiful!
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to show some variety go for another style, if you want to pop really out of all those handpainted WOW-like Portfolios stay with that artstyle you've going for atm. It's beautiful and I'd love to see it used for an environment.
    A nice alternate would also be something Zelda: The Wind Waker-ish or Borderlands-ish.
    I hope you know what I mean. Something that's not the often seen World of Warcraft-look. (Which would be the way to go if you're looking for a position on the WoW-Team, haha)
  • StephLee
    Offline / Send Message
    StephLee polycounter lvl 12
    wow, jaw dropped...this is awesome! I'm super inspired, these are all amazing!
  • Gobliness
    Offline / Send Message
    Gobliness polycounter lvl 4
    This thread is distinctly it's own form of amazing. Absolutely in awe at your texture work!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff. Nice silhouettes.

The metals are all rendered the same. For example the big hammer is all shiny. Why would it be shiny? That type of metal works for the polished swords but for the blunt weapons it doesn't make much sense.

It would be great to see a set all themed up. Right now it's a bit generic themed. Maybe all forrest based weapons or something?
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    I like that latest round of weapons, cool style :) Looking forward to seeing your props/scene.
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    That latest batch of weapons looks like they'd fit nicely in Diablo 3.

Great work in here!