Home General Discussion

CryEngine moves to a subscription based model.

Replies

• ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    as is pretty unanimous here I just simply can't fathom why I or anyone else would want to pay for the cryengine when we have UE4, the cons outweigh the pros greatly.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    as is pretty unanimous here I just simply can't fathom why I or anyone else would want to pay for the cryengine when we have UE4, the cons outweigh the pros greatly.

Some people like different things? I'd say the Cryengine is very powerful and easy to work with if you take the time to actually get used to it. I used to use Unreal all the time before I got a job here (you can look at my portfolio) and when I actually started working with the Cryengine it is extremely powerful and easy to work with.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The art pipeline from Max/Photoshop into cryengine is actually really nice after you learn it, very quick to update something and see the changes in engine. Same with the lighting see the changes right away without build times.

A lot of functionality within the material editor too. I agree they really need to step up their game in terms of documentation/tutorials though. Also stuff like blueprint is giving unreal a big advantage now they really need to address that. I like cry engine better no content when it comes to art but, I would go with unreal without question to make a game.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I agree they really need to step up their game in terms of documentation/tutorials though.
    New thread: http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=355&t=123839

Submit your ideas of tutorials that you would like to see!
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    I think a good analogy is: Unreal is to Steam as CryEngine is to Origin or Unreal is to PSNetwork as CryEngine is to Xbox Live. Comparable, but Unreal has the edge on PHILOSOPHY. And you can tell a company's philsophy by whether or not they are willing to take the lead on things such as providing full source code and willingly making highly detailed and technical tutorials, or whether they are just following and trying to keep up and do the minimum that they have to in order to not look antiquated.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Pancakes wrote: »
    I think a good analogy is: Unreal is to Steam as CryEngine is to Origin or Unreal is to PSNetwork as CryEngine is to Xbox Live. Comparable, but Unreal has the edge on PHILOSOPHY. And you can tell a company's philsophy by whether or not they are willing to take the lead on things such as providing full source code and willingly making highly detailed and technical tutorials, or whether they are just following and trying to keep up and do the minimum that they have to in order to not look antiquated.

You also have to realize that Crytek hasn't been licensing out their engine as long as Epic Games, they're still trying to hammer out the details.

Personally, I love the Cryengine. I found it easy to understand, it's all realtime (no baking of lights), even exporting stuff out of Max and Photoshop seems pretty easy IMO.
    Also, I noticed some people complaining about the difficulty of getting assets inside the engine. Check out this tool, it's an importer hub, just drag and drop stuff in...
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132966
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Zepic wrote: »
    You also have to realize that Crytek hasn't been licensing out their engine as long as Epic Games, they're still trying to hammer out the details.

Personally, I love the Cryengine. I found it easy to understand, it's all realtime (no baking of lights), even exporting stuff out of Max and Photoshop seems pretty easy IMO.
    Also, I noticed some people complaining about the difficulty of getting assets inside the engine. Check out this tool, it's an importer hub, just drag and drop stuff in...
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132966

The issue with Crytek, is that they never gave a sign that they were listening.
    Hell even simple "Screw you, we don't do it!" would be nicer, than permanent silence or copy-paste PR answers...

They hopefully change it. They have one month to show dedication to change. And I'm not telling that they should in one month release as much as code samples as Epic or video tutorials. That would be ridiculous and impossible.
    What I really want is more activity from developers on forums. Updates on what are they working on. And please just post somewhere that they are working on these sample starter kits. Because I said earlier getting into coding in C++ in CryEngine, is just nightmare compared to UE4.
    Provided sample shooter game is way to complex to dissect it to base parts, and frankly it is ancient, from Crysis 1 times.

Oh and I really don't like PBR in CE3. Guys really. Color values in 0-255 range ? What it is 225*187 ? You would think that while you moved to PBR you could also move to linear 0-1 space, where calculations for end user are fairly easy to understand.
  • plastix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plastix polycounter lvl 4
    iniside wrote: »
    The issue with Crytek, is that they never gave a sign that they were listening.
    Hell even simple "Screw you, we don't do it!" would be nicer, than permanent silence or copy-paste PR answers...

There is no sign because they are not listening. Your opinion means nothing for Crytek because Cryengine made by Crytek for Crytek`s needs. By the way i`m currently banned at crydev because of same thing as you mentioned above.
    iniside wrote: »
    Oh and I really don't like PBR in CE3. Guys really. Color values in 0-255 range ? What it is 225*187 ? You would think that while you moved to PBR you could also move to linear 0-1 space, where calculations for end user are fairly easy to understand.

Its an ancient problem. I asked many times about 0-1 space (with color picker as optional feature), but many years pass and still nothing.
  • plastix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The art pipeline from Max/Photoshop into cryengine is actually really nice after you learn it, very quick to update something and see the changes in engine. Same with the lighting see the changes right away without build times.

PS to engine really nice? Sound like a joke. Photoshop -> slow and buggy CryTIFF -> *.tif -> convereted by engine to dds. Yeah, very nice. The end result is very different from what you have (lots of noise, sometimes alpha problems, sometimes colors missmatch etc.). The best pipeline would be PS -> end result.
    A lot of functionality within the material editor too.

A lot of functionality? Everything is very basic, even some basic features is missing. You must keep PS open, otherwise you cant adjust your textures. I dont have any idea why they dont want to improve material editor and overall pipeline.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    A company who asks the community "what?" tutorials and provided documentation they want. Without fixing the holes they've made on their own. Sure says a lot about what that company can do for it's community on their own...
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New thread: http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=355&t=123839

Submit your ideas of tutorials that you would like to see!

+1

Will get on that this evening! cheers.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. Liking the direction they're taking with the new update. Looking forward to new news!!
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like Crytek is going to include more sample content in the near future as well:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/218947/What_separates_CryEngine_from_its_competition.php
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    plastix wrote: »
    PS to engine really nice? Sound like a joke. Photoshop -> slow and buggy CryTIFF -> *.tif -> convereted by engine to dds. Yeah, very nice. The end result is very different from what you have (lots of noise, sometimes alpha problems, sometimes colors missmatch etc.). The best pipeline would be PS -> end result.

Not sure what you're issue is, but my end result is almost identical to what's in Photoshop. I've never seen anyone else complain about the inconsistency between the two programs on here or CryDev.

Taking the extra couple of seconds to decide how you want to export isn't the end of the world like so many people are making it. You spend days on an asset, you can spend 5 seconds to export properly. :rolleyes:
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Zepic wrote: »
    Looks like Crytek is going to include more sample content in the near future as well:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/218947/What_separates_CryEngine_from_its_competition.php

What a steaming pile of bullshit coming from Carl Jones, it's ridiculous - it's like he's trying to imply that Epic have no control over how the engine develops and that they're holding back features just for themselves. After slating UE4 for having an "open source model", he then contradicts himself by saying that the goal is to become a "more democratized engine and that he "can't claim we came up with that idea in any way -- just look at Unity."
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    ambershee wrote: »
    What a steaming pile of bullshit coming from Carl Jones, it's ridiculous - it's like he's trying to imply that Epic have no control over how the engine develops and that they're holding back features just for themselves. After slating UE4 for having an "open source model", he then contradicts himself by saying that the goal is to become a "more democratized engine and that he "can't claim we came up with that idea in any way -- just look at Unity."

Hmm, I don't get the same "vibe" from the article as you. Especially the "holding back features" part.
  • plastix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart wrote: »
    Not sure what you're issue is, but my end result is almost identical to what's in Photoshop. I've never seen anyone else complain about the inconsistency between the two programs on here or CryDev.

I saw many complains about «why my texture looks wrong in cryengine», «why my texture become so noisy», «why crytiff compression is so horrible» etc.
    Taking the extra couple of seconds to decide how you want to export isn't the end of the world like so many people are making it. You spend days on an asset, you can spend 5 seconds to export properly. :rolleyes:

5 seconds??? Their plugin is very slow (mostly because of rebuilds/preview). Most of time i`m working with 2-4k textures and i got so many crashes. And i`m not the only one with that problem. Another thing is changing settings in rc.ini. For example i set autooptimize=0 for everything and guess what? Autooptimize is still on!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander wrote: »
    Hmm, I don't get the same "vibe" from the article as you. Especially the "holding back features" part.

Maybe that's just me. It does seem like they're trying to distance themselves from what Epic are doing though, even though they're basically doing the same thing, which makes little sense to me.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plastix wrote: »

A lot of functionality? Everything is very basic, even some basic features is missing. You must keep PS open, otherwise you cant adjust your textures. I don't have any idea why they don't want to improve material editor and overall pipeline.

Never once noticed any of the above issues when exporting. Yeah there is still stuff they can add to the material editor for sure and I do really love unreal node based editor its the better solution for some kinds of materials in some cases but, I find cry engine materials very easy to set up and there is a lot of control and functionality as it stands.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Skamander wrote: »

+1 to this. He means that they wanted to control the "development of whole engine " unlike Epic which had ( and has) a community based approach.

"Holding back" part I suppose he means that they only featured what they used and never held back; lets say ; a game.dll that allows buiding of a RTS game. They only presented what they had: FPS gameplay.

I also don't like and agree to all decisions of Carl Jones but if he keeps on these promises as he had these past 2 weeks things will change quite fast.

As it comes to me, just as I said before, 2 more weeks to wait. If they keep on delivering like this and I still complain then it only means that I am just b..ching and making excuses. I will join the EaaS. But let's wait and see.
  • plastix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never once noticed any of the above issues when exporting. Yeah there is still stuff they can add to the material editor for sure and I do really love unreal node based editor its the better solution for some kinds of materials in some cases but, I find cry engine materials very easy to set up and there is a lot of control and functionality as it stands.

Cryengine material editor is nice, but artist non-friendly and thats pain in the ass. Lets say you want to adjust reflections without touching speculars - you cant do that. You want to layer one material on top of another one? Sorry, but not supported. You want to adjust texture saturation? Not supported. You want to adjust normal map amount? Not supported. You want to adjust contrast? Not suported. You want to use in-engine vertex painting (e.g. for texture blending)? Not supported etc. Second uv set for ao / decals etc? Not supported. You want to create your own shader? Not supported.

There is huge amount of unsupported features. You dont have full control over your materials, just some (very) basic params and thats it.
  • RobeOmega
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I don't think that's true... Bear in mind that the majority of Cryteks revenue comes form places other than the games industry. They could probably shut down their games studios and still rake it in.

What they do need to do however; make their tools more artist friendly and most importantly less restrictive.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Hope that's not true. Kinda unprofessional towards the end of that article too..
    And yes, PC gamers can now say to Crytek “We told you so, you had to keep Crysis exclusive to the PC and keep pushing the graphical boundaries.”

Anyway, it's good to see CryEngine making improvements to the engine. I've enjoyed using it for some simple folio stuff, dunno what it would be like for something more advance...
  • lupi
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I wouldn't believe anything on this site, they included one of my screenshots in a post about next-gen CRYENGINE visuals. :\
  • lupi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't believe anything on this site, they included one of my screenshots in a post about next-gen CRYENGINE visuals. :\
    i really want to share your optimism but sadly i can't
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    i like Crytek, they are cool, always pushes the graphic bar, to be honest, i'd rather see they continue to show us cool stuff than get bogged down to the engine war.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    See, they're putting forth an effort to get people up to speed with their engine :)

Cryengine starter kits:

http://www.crydev.net/newspage.php?news=124517
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'Blank Game Starter Kit'?

So basically it's an empty project. CryEngine does have that by default!?
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    MeshMagnet wrote: »
    See, they're putting forth an effort to get people up to speed with their engine :)

Cryengine starter kits:

Hell it was about time we had that ! About 6 years mate !!!

Now, where is my Tychus Findlay. Tychus, if you please:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J6-3l3hCm0"]Hell, It's about time. - YouTube[/ame]
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lupi wrote: »
    i really want to share your optimism but sadly i can't

Wait, why?

There aren't any actual facts/sources about Crytek's supposed financial issues, that website is just some rumor site.

The site completely ignores the millions that Crytek has made off licensing their engine during the past couple of years. There are a lot of projects using CE3.
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    MeshMagnet wrote: »

Cryengine starter kits:

I believe that's not from Crytek, but from a dedicated crydev.net staff member (who has also made a lot of tutorials). As far as I know the orange crydev.net staff members don't work for Crytek, only the blue ones. Nonetheless it's a really nice effort from Richmar1. Especially the extensive comments in the source code.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes there really is smoke without fire. I am pretty as someone else said they have made a lot of non games projects too, so if true I hope they can work though it.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k"]The Lord Inquisitor - "Grey Knights" Teaser [UHD] - YouTube[/ame]

Created by Erasmus Brosdau, one of the Cinematic Artists in our Team and a group of other people from around the industry! Great job :)
    Rendered in Cinebox, CryEngine based Movie Software
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    More rumors. This time of missed paychecks. Not a good sign. Really hope none of it is true.

http://kotaku.com/rumors-swirl-about-trouble-at-crytek-1586824777
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    And after all those years I finally managed to get into game code to make my own game. God damn it !

Come on body, hang on there a little bit more !
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    RexM wrote: »
    Wait, why?

There aren't any actual facts/sources about Crytek's supposed financial issues, that website is just some rumor site.

The site completely ignores the millions that Crytek has made off licensing their engine during the past couple of years. There are a lot of projects using CE3.

He works at Crytek ?
  • DoubleLeaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    He works at Crytek ?

O_O Damn I didn't even realize that. I hope everything works out in the end.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    He works at Crytek ?

I don't know if he does or not, but Crytek came out with this in response.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/crysis-dev-crytek-denies-claims-that-it-s-in-financial-trouble/1100-6420676/

I don't know what to think about it... I will wait and see. I have a bad feeling...
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The news is everywhere right now and rumours have been swirling since before GDC - apparently a reasonable number of people didn't get their expected pay cheques this month.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone though - Crytek expanded way too aggressively following Crysis, opening several studios and effectively acquiring three more that were already in financial trouble.

What they did with said acquisition is anyone's guess, because with nine offices and something like five development teams, they haven't got much to show for it. Crysis 2 and 3 missed the mark by gunning for the console audience and eschewing what made their previous two games hits (open world, high end PC shooters). They then wasted their efforts chasing imaginary money in the free to play and mobile spaces with Warface and some mobile game noone remembers. Ryse was probably the final nail in the coffin when the game struggled to release on time, and when it did, it was very poorly received on an already poorly received platform. Now they're trying to enter the 4-player coop space and MOBA spaces with games that don't seem to really differ from what is already out there and popular :/

They probably should have remained in their tidy little niche doing high-end PC games, as that's now more or less a complete vacuum.

Crytek could be doing some awesome stuff, but IMHO, they've invested too much and don't have enough direction. Classic mismanagement at a high level.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    So the rumors about high management & ownership at Crytek are true. It's run like a Mob. Very very sad. No offense to my friends at Crytek, as I know they don't mind it. I have mad respect for many of the talent there for what has been pumped out since Far Cry. But I am glad I never flew half way around the world to work for Crytek.

Overall, the Yerli brother's have always had that look of being deceiving and mischief as hard to trust employers in my eyes. But with an engine like the Cryengine and the talent behind it. I am sure what more could you want to do in your career that would be both inspiring and fostering.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    "imaginary money"?
  • Kitty|Owl
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shit sucks. I think its safe to stop referring to the payment issues as "rumors" at this point. Hopefully Crytek can get some sort of loan quickly before the whole thing falls apart.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    This is quite sad for anybody working at Crytek, I hope things turn around quickly.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Shit sucks. I think its safe to stop referring to the payment issues as "rumors" at this point. Hopefully Crytek can get some sort of loan quickly before the whole thing falls apart.

Yeeeah.. about that... Looks like they tried... and didn't work out....

http://www.develop-online.net/news/crytek-uk-staff-not-paid-full-wages-since-april/0194556

Sad panda is sad....
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Not paid but expected to give 3 months notice before leaving? Fuck off.