Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | May 2014 | Frogman, Demon, Illusionist

Replies

• Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Ah well meshsmooth reminds me of a simple turbo smooth if that makes sense. In 3ds Max you actually set smoothing groups to define the way that parts of geo are defined. So, a box would have at minimum 3 smoothing groups to define the different surfaces. IF it was all 1 smoothing group the program would try to make it look as smooth or spherical as possible. Hope that helps.
  • thepapercut
    Dimfist wrote: »
    Ah well meshsmooth reminds me of a simple turbo smooth if that makes sense. In 3ds Max you actually set smoothing groups to define the way that parts of geo are defined. So, a box would have at minimum 3 smoothing groups to define the different surfaces. IF it was all 1 smoothing group the program would try to make it look as smooth or spherical as possible. Hope that helps.

I see, thanks, the explanation helps. Do they serve any other purpose or is it just for geometry definition?
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    It doesn't matter in zbrush but smoothing definitely matters in rendering and in game engines.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Alright, just hit 16k polys now. Improved her hair and started baking.
    Ran into some problem with seams and diffuse and so many, all are resulted from sRGB <_<" Got loads of help from Jake, Paul, and Alicia. :) Thanks guys(and gal).

Not happy with her knee, again. Lawl <_<"
    BQ1Hlt3.jpg
  • ClusterOne
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    Its been two weeks and I'm finally back to working on this. I originally planned to get back to this by the 19th when the Wildstar beta was over but I ended up getting side tracked with Tera as well. Today I picked up where I left up and did some work on the high poly for the shirt and overcoat.

yGlp19U.png

I don't know if its just me, but when I revisit my work after a substantial break, all I can see is the mistakes--it makes it so hard to finish projects :poly127:.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    ................... Crap.
    I just took a look at how you did your coat collar, how I did mine, and how the concept art is, and now I got an idea on how to actually do it <_<" #FML

I like what you have there though. And it's the same for me as well. If I take a few days pause and then back to work on a proj again, I usually lose motivation too. All I see is mistakes I've made <_<"
  • diskobiskit
    Haven't updated in 2 weeks yikes! Better kick it into gear. I love all the great stuff that's coming out of this month's challenge, hopefully I can make it to the finish line

COMP+001.jpg
  • diskobiskit
    Pieru I like your approach on his back piece. Everything looks really solid and I can't wait to see this dude polished off.

CGartland Good start so far. The webbing on his feet still need a little bit of work. Keep it going!
  • Sam's_stuff
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam's_stuff polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, this is my first post on polycount, thought I would give the challenge a try. I have only just started so its still in early stages, any crits and comments would be well appreciated. :)

Frog Low poly wireframe.jpg

Frog zbrush.jpg

Frog zbrush close up.jpg

Loving everyone else's different takes on this, hope to see some more good ones soon.
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Sam, thanks for joining the monthly challenge. So far your low poly is looking pretty solid. I would rework that arm anatomy though. The shoulder feels like its floating out there without any clavicle/shoulder blade support, as well as making those muscles stretch to reach each other. Also the Biceps are not inserting correctly into the Deltoids. Not sure what his back looks like but I am sure you will run into problems with how the Teres and Latissimus are connecting as well. I would give you the same advice with how the arm's anatomy is.
    Cheers and hope to see more progress!
    Diskobiskit: Looking cool so far, he has more of a stream lined tree frog look which I like. The biceps roll under a bit and actually insert in the arm pit under the deltoid. Same with the triceps, they have insertion under the deltoid as well.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I will be busy this Sunday, so I will start the Concept Voting for JUNE! on the 24th around evening, US time.
  • Sam's_stuff
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam's_stuff polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks a lot Dimfist, really appreciate it, I will try and work on the muscle groups a bit more in zbrush and try and make them more natural.:) I will try and post some updates later.
  • blackkeys25
    Managed to get some color on this dude. I know I am missing a few things but just haven't had the time, plus learning Zbrush is not easy :)

I didn't do the muscles because I just kind of thought that frogs were, ummm.. fat? So kind of put my own spin on him. Pieru your guy is Awesome!!
    Hope I will be able to sculpt like that one day. And diskobiskit, I love your style!

[IMG][/img]Frog_Char_Col02_zps311e0537.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice going there blackkeys25. I presume the red-ish color is due to material. Get those cloth wrinkles in !

I'm so almost done with uv mapping. But the ONLY piece with mirrored UV, the hat, is producing seam! Gahhh~!! And I already put that mirrored UV on -1 map, and baked the whole thing intact not just half. I also tried hardened normal along the mirrored seam, but it doesn't wanna go away T_T
    zm3segP.png
    616532_10152431004950115_8340741266786294524_o.jpg
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Pieru wrote: »
    @Rafferty_Eggleston: Thank you guy !
    @Kapoff:: Great colors, although I think the frog is a bit too much green everywhere, may you try to make more fades to another color? btw, thank you for your feedback, indeed I have forgotten to make an attachment for the Knee's plate :p

new update for my froggyfrenchfrog :) (I have tried another material :O)

Froggy_09.jpg

Holy damn, also. what matcap is that?
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    @SaboR1996: Holy Damn ! This is the GreenClay ! :D (you have this mat since...I don't remember :p)

@PyrZern: check if your normals are not splitted on the middle vertices.
    to avoid this kind of frustrating troubles, don't create a symmetrical UV in the front of your object ! (are you using Xnormal?)

I've just finished to make the base polypaint for my frogggg, I will add more details directly in photoshop on the baked texture.

FroggyPaint01.jpg
    FroggyPaint02.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I am using Xnormal yeah, and usually I don't put seams where it's visible, but if I am to mirror a mesh, then it's gonna be there <_<"
  • absorbentghost
    Offline / Send Message
    absorbentghost polycounter lvl 6
    Is this challenge still open?
  • klown
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 11
    PyrZern:

I would put the seam at the back, not the front where it will be seen the most and have either cylinder wrap with the top as a separate piece or all as one.

I have not mirrored like that with normals but I have seen an example where you would overlap the seam, so when baking, leave an extra row or 2 of polys from your high poly and back that on your half mesh. Hope that makes sense?
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    klown wrote: »
    PyrZern:

I would put the seam at the back, not the front where it will be seen the most and have either cylinder wrap with the top as a separate piece or all as one.

I have not mirrored like that with normals but I have seen an example where you would overlap the seam, so when baking, leave an extra row or 2 of polys from your high poly and back that on your half mesh. Hope that makes sense?

Sorry, but nope >_<" Could be that my brain is just tired... Been hours I try to fix the seam.

absorbentghost Hey, I recommend you join us for June. Since this one has only like 1 week left. We just started voting concept for June now.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135162
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    @PyrZern: yes, sometimes, If you really need symmetry, It could be interesting to make a shifted mirror from some quads from the center of your model
  • absorbentghost
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys i have just a few more days left , lets do this, I'm gonna go the Fat chick.
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Pieru wrote: »
    @kmactastic:Thanks, I will do an alpha for the grass
    @PyrZern:arigato :), TPOSEMESH plugin allows you to create a layer for each subtool of your tool, it's safe :) however, as I am parano
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @SaboR1996 You should def 3d print it :)

BTW, I mostly got rid of the bad uv seam now. Not entirely, but I'm pressed for time :P

RVjGd5C.png
  • javier_m
    @Dimfist: it looks pretty good, looks more human in proportions though, looking at the head, I dont know if that was your intend. Other thing is the cloth, imo it looks like its made of thin fabric, while in the concept looks thicker(?).
    @diskobiskit: I like your stylized approach, im waiting to see the color version.
    @blackkeys25: The polypainting looks pretty good, it could look better with some more color variation i think.
    @Pieru: woah, that's another level. I like your reinterpretation of the concept

So here is what I have, I don't know if I'll be able to finish it, just started yesterday, but at least I'll try to finish a polypainted version. I tried my best to stick to the concept, but I guess it was not enough. Needs more detail, like in the cloth and skin, also it's missing some accessories

EPnoilj.png
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Hey PyrZern, care to tell us how you fixed it?

Anyway, some time ago I replied to a thread you made. not sure if you had seen it.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131555

Might help. I remember when I started with normal maps I deleted half of my model and got seams like your model at its center. Doing what I wrote in that reply fixed it for me in the past.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Whops, didn't see your reply back then, sry :P

Anyway, umm, I mirrored UV onto -1 and baked it whole. The whole meshed is smoothened edge. The baking mesh is triangulated, and I also used custom cage made in ZB.

If I have seam issue again, I will try your method :)
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    @SaboR1996: ahaha, could be funny, however, I don't know how it works. If you have some tricks to prepare the object for casting, I could try !
    @javier_m: thanks guy !
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    This month is really cutting it too close <_<"
    I will finish up the Gloss/Spec maps tomorrow and pose her up.

kO2psde.png
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    On hangout now. Where are y'all ;P
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, that's weird. I posed her in ZBrush with Zsphere Rig, she lost all her UV mapping... Somehow... And it crashed many times too... Also, I forgot to make her walking cane !!!
    e2ad50e6742c60d3a3f4a66a964633ba.png
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow that sucks. Did you work on a clone? Been a while since I did it that way.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    I still have the original OBJ, so I didn't lose anything...

What am I doing wrong O o' It happened to me again.
    Some of those faces did this, and I lost UV. And the mesh is upside down!
    194260e17f13047d86f699b82bdfa65c.png

I'm thinking there are unmapped faces and they cause this. Anyone knows ?
    Also, anyone knows a good way to locate faces that are not UV mapped in Maya ??
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    Dunno about un'UV'ed face and maya but you can simply copypasta the UV's in Zbrush from your T-posed mesh on your posed one. UVmaster FTW.
  • Pav3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Ive had that problem before when posing in zbrush, its a pain in the ass, only thing to do is not use a zsphere rig to pose her. Just use transpose master and the UVS will save.
  • klown
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 11
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I still have the original OBJ, so I didn't lose anything...

What am I doing wrong O o' It happened to me again.
    Some of those faces did this, and I lost UV. And the mesh is upside down!

I'm thinking there are unmapped faces and they cause this. Anyone knows ?
    Also, anyone knows a good way to locate faces that are not UV mapped in Maya ??

That exact thing happened to me when using the transpose tool. Ended doing pretty much what Pav mentioned to get a half decent pose.

I pretty much don't pose anything in ZB apart from some slight bends or adjustments, not worth the hassle.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff wrote: »
    Dunno about un'UV'ed face and maya but you can simply copypasta the UV's in Zbrush from your T-posed mesh on your posed one. UVmaster FTW.

I would copy/paste UV, but I lost those stretched-out faces.
    They seem to mostly be small Tri faces that get destroyed in the process.
  • absorbentghost
    Offline / Send Message
    still havn't fixed it???
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope. How do I fix it? I don't even know what caused it. I can only work around it now.

I guess I will try Maya rigging, or simply basic Transpose in ZB... but Transpose seems like a very inefficient way to do it, with many small meshes unconnected to another. Makes masking them very hard.

---
    Added:
    To do list
    Tilt her hat.
    Adjust her thighs
    Finish Gloss and Spec maps
    Change color of her Pendant and Arm-Loops.
    Change shape of her Arm-Loops to hang over the Armbands.
    Fix buckle of her left shoe.
    Her walking cane..... If I have enough UV space.
    What else can I do to improve ?
    Oh, and draw her eyebrows.

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I'm calling mine done now. Will render some presentation shots soon.
    e36061d6d2fda0ffd95540d448f644eb.jpg
  • Manticora
    So much great work here! I didn't have a lot of time lately, so I have to call mine done for now without some finishing touches and posing... But I still learned a lot.

illusionist_wip_004.png

[1999 Tris, 512x512 Diffuse, Alpha & Specular]
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Last post here. She's completed ^^

10263980_10152443672075115_73323993391433107_o.jpg
  • thepapercut
    Wow amazing finish guys!

@pyrzern: Love the finish on it! That coat is excellent.
    @Manticora: Nice job with wrapping it up! All hand painted?
    @SaboR1996: love the skin details.
    @javier_m: Really strong sculpt, I would finish this no matter what.

My piece once again has been retired to the folder of unfinished work. I'm getting sick and tired of placing every months piece in that folder though.
  • DonEngland
    Offline / Send Message
    DonEngland polycounter lvl 9
    I enjoyed looking through this thread and was inspired to join. I started a bit late but learned a lot from the process.

TD1rUAX.png
    ^^ Zbrush pbr render.

hqWG79N.png
    ^^ Asset in Unity, 9.6k tris, 1k maps

There is a number of issues with this character, but I have a better understanding of the workflow now. I'll apply what I've learned into next months challenge.
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    demon_lowpoly_wip01.jpg

Started this guy few hours before the end of the month as a speed modelling challenge. I was curious if I could work this little guy out in time before midnight. And as expected the answer is NO.
    But I'm happy with the overall progress, going to finish him tomorrow probably. Already a few hours spent on him. Few more to go.
    Need some bridging between the different section and the final spike and collar stuff addition before I call the mod done. Then baking of a wimple AO and a shadow map to start painting the textures in Photoshop. Maybe I will cheat and use 3D coat or the 3D painting function in Photoshop. We'll see.

PS: Super happy about the next month concepts btw!
  • diskobiskit
    Didn't finish in time. This is what I got so far. Just a rough polypaint and there are still a few things I skipped over. Gonna continue to work on it a bit until its finished though.

COMP+004.jpg

Props to those who finished and to the ones who went for more than one concept.
    Can't wait to join in on the next newb challenge.
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    demon_2k_wip02.PNG

Approaching 2k tris there. :D
    next: unwrapping.
  • kmactastic
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    @Kapoff: Why do yo uhave those extra triangle faces around your pendant? Is that to hold the shape or something?

wip_3.jpg

I didn't finish but at least I am now at my favorite part^^
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    @kmactastic: Well, to be honest, I didn't really paid much attention to it before you brought it on the table but I kinda didn't care since I got it in the polybudget. But yah, it would use some optimisation in the ideal world.

Anyway, worked on the UV's and the textures today. Derped with max's render to texture padding. Couldn't figure out why it's not saving the padding with the image, but turned out that it actually saves it to the output image but not on the displayed one in max, so for any of you who ever wondered, just set you saving path straight to the right folder, and don't rely on the displayed image as I did.
    Then started playing with Photoshop 3D capabilities and painted a part of the model before Photoshop decided that tonight, it's not good to be productive and started doing some weird stuff. So when finally he whiped out my pref file without any warning, i ragequitted and this is what I got atm.
    obviously not as far as I wanted to take it today but I got some crappy buiseness on the way as you can see.

To be continued.

demon_texWIP_01.jpg
  • kmactastic
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    So I realize this is months later...but I wanted to post my "finished" piece to get some closure haha. If I had to do it again I would do a hi-res model, and not just jump to painting it. Still very open to critique. thanks (:Illusionist_f.jpg