Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Exploring the Asterix and Obelix World in 3D

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Flamingo Knight polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys,

Going to be chucking all my exploratory models of the awesome world of Asterix and Obelix up here. Really dig their style and want to develop my modelling skills in that sort of style. Focusing purely on the modelling atm, textures will come much later after i am fully happy with my ability to model.

My reference;
LXsXf3H.jpg

The current state of the model (the roast boar is missing)
SpiiYE2.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]da8da9ded7444715af972cd724102593[/SKETCHFAB]

I would love some feedback, and most definitely suggestions for improvements.

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The table top looks thicker than the reference. Also, given the overall crude construction, I'd expect the individual planks to be visible. The reference looks to have 3 planks.

The bench legs look a bit too refined - in the original, they're just straight planks, without the taper or bend in yours. Also, one side of the nearer bench seems to be lower, as though Obelix pushed it into the grass when he sat. The bench legs might also be too thick, and there's a noticeable knot in the crossbeam from a poorly trimmed branch.

The stool should probably be circular rather than octagonal, and the shield rim could use a few extra sides as well.
  • Flamingo Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback DWalker

I have adjusted my models according to your feedback.

yHKqCzw.jpg

vT702ls.jpg

Any more feedback to be had?
    Going to put a tree in the scene, then put it into my to texture later folder, and move on to other asterix and obelix environment style studies

Also, I noticed that splitting the table top into 3 separate planks, there is no support keeping the planks together under the table.
    I'm thinking of just a simple crossbar, any suggestions about that?
  • Flamingo Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    By Toutatis, this is cool!
  • Flamingo Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, thanks Walrus :)

added a stand to the barrels + nozzle

1vT1JGt.jpg

and started the front of the fishmonger shop/house

qsbcVZG.jpg
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Nice stuff so far! There are some interessting shapes.
  • Flamingo Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Fenyce. Interesting shapes are exactly what I'm going for :)

More stuff done today

flowerless vase >.<
    csrZkim.jpg

And soups up! Did another table of food scene
    jgtlxk3.jpg
  • Flamingo Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to texture.

Having real issues with my texturing >.< Floundering like crazy.

Here was my first horrific attempt at texturing done earlier on this week. Kinda semi getting somewhere with the wood buuut not really. Looks quite meh. And im not even going to mention about the metal :/

btsm4yn.jpg

6CeqjO8.jpg

So today i figured i would scrap it and start again. Starting with the weakest part. The metal strips

jQfxXfG.png

k19RYVF.jpg

And I've gotta say I'm A LOT happier with this outcome. But my metal doesn't seem very metal?

What am i missing to make it more metal like? and just better in general.
  • AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    The detail you have on that small part looks pretty cool, although maybe if you apply that everywhere it will be too much in the scene.
    I 'm not sure what you are trying to show by the "two areas" on the metal bands, right now you have the lighter level bevel outwards which if it 's meant to be scratched metal would be inwards instead.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    I really like your modelling work, but your texture work has still a lot room for improving (similar to mine^^).

Some Tips which helped me a lot with hand painted texures:
    - try always to image a light source and paint highlights & shadows based on this
    - for metal it's most about the specularity, your flat planes need some highlights. Look at real world reference to see how light will reflect from this metal forms
    - keep an eye on the scaling of details, especially if you painting multiple maps within the same scene

Otherwise I can only recommend the tutorial from Tyson Murphy at 3dmotiv.com
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I would start my texturing by colour picking all the primary colours from the actual comic as base colours then add the most prominent details that you see in the comic style to the texture. So for example the table is just one colour with black detail lines and edges, shadows could be baked, no need to overcomplicate it. Unless you are not aiming to replicate the comic style and are going for a world of warcraft style or something?
  • Flamingo Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the valuable feedback @Firith, @ Dethling and @Ged !

You raise a good point @Ged. I have been a bit back and forward about replicating the comic style. I had planned to do one that didn't, and one that did. Though, I have been using the movie 'Asterix and the Vikings' as a reference for my props too, i've been a bit torn by the style i should go for and ended up doing neither >.<
    I'm going to take a step back and study the colours in the comics. (the barrel itself was in the movie), so i'm thinking i'll start with models that are in the actual comic then move on to other ones so i get a better understanding of the style to inform the pieces not modelled from within the comic itself.

Thanks guys!
  • Flamingo Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturing, round 3.

This time i'm trying to stay true to the comic textures

Current Progress
    p4NgjqY.jpg

and the uv map for the table

qmpCZDV.jpg

Reference:

RZukIaA.jpg

Would love feedback :)
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Looks great! Also, always loved ASterix & obelix!

I would only maybe make texture a bit less saturated...
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    now that is going somewhere!
  • Flamingo Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Zocky and @rollin!

Yep, going to address the saturation after i've completed the main texturing of the objects.

I have all the objects mainly textured now, leaving the table stool and bowls at their current stage, but going to bo in and add some crosshatching to the other ones for a bit of shadows. Also going to chuck shadows where the objects interact with the table to separate them out a bit.

Here is where I'm at atm. Again, feedback would be awesome :)

BJWb7L0.jpg

VEjeCyr.jpg

Pretty close to moving on from this to my next mini scene in the asterix and obelix world.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    This is looking pretty cool. Lilke the rendering. Is that just from the Maya viewport with a toon shader or something?
  • Flamingo Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hayden Zammit Yeah it's just a grab from the maya viewport 2.0 with flat lighting enabled.
  • Flamingo Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Callin it done >.<
    Been having issues with the base shadows and sketchfab so they might look a little misplaced.

Time to move on to the next one.

[SKETCHFAB]263818a1ace3440490790d7589af07d3[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Flamingo Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished another one

zSq2zz3.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]05306ef95ab44fff86d457e1269761c8[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Cr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cr greentooth
    Hey Flamingo Knight, nice start so far! For your inspiration here is the website of a friend of mine who worked on many Asterix videogames. Maybe you'll find this interesting http://yannickgombart.free.fr/Jeux.htm
  • Flamingo Knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More done!
    hmm not so sure about this one. Anyone have any feedback or suggestions for it?
    Maybe try a more uniform colour palette with the rest of my models perhaps?

TKhtYmB.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]b0ff76a4e21246449435ea5169bd04fe[/SKETCHFAB]

Ohh just noticed some weird deformation in the sketchfab model, anyone have any clue whats causing that? (on the stand legs)