Home Featured Artwork

Scythe's Anatomy

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Scythe wrote: »
    Feeling more comfortable with anatomy lately, i decided to go with something i wanted to do for a long time : Monsters :D

kesugg.jpg

Someone never told him to switch hands*cough* :poly136: Money shoted one eye?
    "you'll shoot your eye out".
    I found that one epicly hilarious but really well done, congrats that small hand at first looked painful.

Really, really,like the dynamic action renders you have going on really cool stuff, nice work.
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hey guys, thanks for the kind words :)

D4V1DC : haha glad you like it, i had tons of fun rolling his fat along his tiny arm, like its sole purpose is to carry the belly

anyway here's today, i feel ashamed about it. i have pondered wether posting it or not, but heh, its one of em. My day was eaten when i had to wake up at 5am for a webinar, so i was feeling very sleepy and had the hardest of time working. That and i couldnt find a suitable pose for this guy...sigh

k9j87q.jpg
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    The pants seem to sorta bag up for no reason. Have you tried bringing it down to the sole of the foot, so only the front is exposed? The sculpting is magnificent, that just really lept out at me though. It also looks like you could add a bit of wind deformity to the pants, like in the cape/scarf.

When did you start learning stuff like this? I've been working on learning this sorta stuff, but I still feel like it's a real strain to plot out where the muscles form and begin. Any tips, man?
  • Squals
    Offline / Send Message
    Squals polycounter lvl 5
    Really nice Stuff Scythe, do you start from scratch each sculpt or use one of your generic bases each time?
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    hey guys, thanks for the kind words again :)

Stirls : yeah man, i admit i was really lazy on this one. I completly forgot about wind in pants, which i will think of next time, thanks.

When did i start...hmm i think i was looking on and off at anatomy for quite a long time, but never really dwelled into it till this december. I have some good anatomy book which helps to find where muscles are and where they start, and you should definitely get Artistic anatomy by Paul Richer.
    Lucky you, the french national bibliotheca has put it only for free, its awesomesauce : http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k205846w.image.f8

Squals : thanks man. Yeah i have a basemesh, which is horrendous but for speed sake it has my polygroups defined for toes, fingers, hands, arms legs and such :)

here's today, witchy witch

jpy1s8.jpg
  • SA_22
    starting to look forward to seeing a new piece from you each time i load up polycount!

2 things tho...

upload bigger images!!

makes videos!!

:D
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Thanks SA_22, if you want my current work on those is every monday, wednesday and friday ^^

About videos : yeah i should look into how to make some :O
    Bigger image : im starting to think tinypic is resizing them without me wanting it, originals are 4500px wide...lemme look into it !
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    fwgw.jpg

guess i'll start uploading on imageshack ;s
  • ISmokeRodeo
    Scythe wrote: »
    fwgw.jpg

guess i'll start uploading on imageshack ;s

I would suggest photobucket as I had problems with imageshack... but that was a long time ago so idk.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    You are doing great. I don't mean to come off poorly, sorry if I overstep, but my main crit isn't about the anatomy, but the exercise. It seems like there is more work being put into the staging than the actual anatomy. When I look at these pieces, there are glaring errors that I think would normally be caught if anatomy was the focus. For instance in the newest piece, the girls ankle is rolled out and down into the top of the foot in a position that looks broken enough, and your art is good enough, that it just seems like you missed it, rather than it being just inaccurate. And on the witch again (for example) I see errors caused by (probably) deformation on every single joint that has any real movement. Just posing the limbs and moving on doesn't do much for anatomy knowledge, and it also reflects in the work itself, which ends up feeling really rushed and inaccurate.

In general it seems like all the of the posing limbs are loosing volume at the joint, which in my own work anyways I find happens when I am posing a limb before I go back to re-sculpt the anatomy. So at least it feels like (definitely might not be the case) that you're posing the model as fast as possible, not worrying about the anatomy, and then focusing on the 'stage dressing' as it were.

I am absolutely the last person to say anything. My own anatomy thread is me getting off-topic and focusing on everything but anatomy (texuring, rendering, shading, scenes etc.) so when I say this, I am just talking from where I come from myself. I don't think there is anything wrong with learning all these skill together either.

But what my crit boils down to is that if you are going for speed (a large number of sculptures) AND trying to stage dress these scenes, then you're not getting much in-depth anatomy practice. You are missing out on the speed practice by focusing on the stage dressing, and you are missing the long term progress of working a single piece up to the best of your ability, by doing these in quick sucecssion.

Maybe dropping one or the other of those would help compensate.

Anyways, you are doing cool stuff, this is just an observation and opinion, take it or leave it.
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hey Ysalex, thanks for dropping by and wording me to no end :D.
    To be honest, i try to pose them before sculpting anything but the face. You are right about most of it, about the ankle i completly missed it.

i might have gone a little overboard with the poses as some of them might have been too complex for my current level of understanding anatomy. The point in doing new over and over again is that i've already seen myself doing something good if I had a lot of time. But the amount of time it took me was really unsatisfactory.

I know all those pieces have a whole lot of error (and i won't spout out the cheesy yet true : you learn by your mistake) but i think, in a way, each and every one of them is making me learn something.

And i love seeing some comment like yours, because at times i feel lost and they always gets me back on track. I will try to understand more the movements and the limitations of the joints and muscles, see if i can get a little better):)

thanks man !
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    So i feel very reluctant about posting today's because it's an utter failure, but at the same time i promised myself i would post everything, even failtime sooo...

Damn, dwarf anatomy is really hard ! Gotta train more

lvti.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hello, here is today's business !

8sqr.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    hi there, today's business as usual !

yxkl.jpg
    7a2d.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hi there, today's. We all know where this is going :

jajl.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    well that was a fun exercice

eszo.jpg
    3dd7.jpg
  • Scythe
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Blowing some steam off today. phew

tg2l.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    some Ekho fanart

2ymaqdf.jpg

ev261x.jpg
  • mediochrea
    Offline / Send Message
    mediochrea polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, your stuff is absolutely insane. Fourmille's duckface is so spot on! :D!
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    thanks a lot mate, i'll try to do a better job next time. I actually plan on doing a full Fourmille :D

Can't believe it's day 50 and no beefcake. Darksiders inspiration stuff

343glu8.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    trying out some fightpunch goodness

3169lqb.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    putting that dude here, while am at it. still wip

552lnm.jpg
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    If you are using the skin shader I would tone back the normal smoothing a bit. You seem to have lost a bunch of details from your sculpt. Or you could strengthen your normals in the areas you don't want it to smooth as much. I find the smoothing looks great on pores and subtle tranistions, but it kills the creases and wrinkles. Other than that it is looking good!
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Thanks stev, to be honest the normal smoothing was at 0 so maybe the overall albedo is killing the normal. I consider maybe strenghening it in ps, will see how it goes.

anyway here is some lighting tweaks, since im overseas for two week i dont have much time to work on it !

o7oapt.jpg
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Have you changed the reflectance values? The normals are reading a lot better in the latest. Maybe it was just the lighting. Still might be worth it to strengthen the normals a bit though. Keep it up this is looking great!
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hmm i can't remember sorry, but yeah i may have tweaked it a little. I took some time to strengthen the normal in photoshop, which helped me get the feel i wanted. Well, i think i'm almost done with this guy. wish i had rigged it but it bores the heck out of me and i prefer moving to another char. Thanks for the feedback though !! definitely helpful

6ps0p1.jpg
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Looks great! Would definitely like to see it posed at some point. Maybe come back to it later?
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Awesome character! Shame he's not posed though. That bark looks awesome as well!
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    hey guys, thanmks for the kind comments. About the posing, i have really been pondering :
    i'd love to pose him, but it takes me ages each and every damn time and atm i prefer tot ake that time to create another char ! but im still keeping that idea in the back of my head

so here is the final batch of image for that guy before my next project, stay tuned !

wiavxl.jpg
    wqq7tt.jpg
    5b42e9.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Finally getting back to these after being away for a couple of weeks !

2d11h1w.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    New char inspired from the Canon Sniper by the amazing Inshoo ! Wanna test allthose nifty pbr and ddo !

ingaip.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    today's sketch

qq4exf.jpg
  • Ape_Errata
    Hi Hugo,

I was just admiring your pose sketches. I was curious if you spend a specific amount of time on these per day? Last year I was doing speed sculpts for about 45 mins per sculpt, but tapered off a bit on that the last few months to focus on trying to finish some sculpts all the way through to completion, but now i'm kind of wanting to work back in a speed sculpt/anatomy element to my daily routine (looking at what you're doing kind of inspires me to want to emulate what i'm seeing). I was thinking 60 mins. Also do you start these from a zspheres, maquettes, some kind of basemesh, etc? Anyhow love your sculpts. Cheers. -Peter
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hey Ape, thanks for the kind comment. As for the dailies, they range from 6 to 8 hours per day, with a top max of 10 (but that just really really rare) I have a basemesh as a start for these, it's super wonky but i like it because i have to check proportions everytime, and it burns them into my head.

anyway, some work on this dood ! getting there slowly

wce2oz.jpg
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Hey buddy. I gotta say your anatomy studies are fantastic and it gives me the urge to set a similar challenge for myself. Maybe when I get a few projects out the way I’ll get onto it.

As for your latest piece you've got a decent amount done but it would be nice if you could include the concept you are working from to so I can get a better idea. All I can find is a blurry image from the now dead cghub :'( Working from that image I think you're losing the shape, especially the waist as it's too wide at the moment. Also I'd make the thighs thick while scaling down the feet. Other than that, rock on and I’ll keep watching.
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Very inspiring man keep up the great work :D
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    hey Disarray, thanks man. I'll be posting the original with the update on the guy tomorrow, but from what i can see and what you said, you are pretty right about this. Will have to tweak some of those proportions.

Kend : thanks !

Here's today's study though. The original sculpture (i dunno from whom and i should look) is bonker and i wanted to do the same kind of poses

33kdjyc.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    more work on this guy. Pff, the bird is driving me nuts

fuqjnr.jpg

original by Inshoo

120s5kz.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    i;ve been feeling really out of it lately, so yeah not much happening.
    Working on the sniper and still doing some training but I feel like i've landed where everything you do feel like crap. I'm gonna have to work some more so i can get out of that place before getting in again. aaah the neverending cycle.

2vt8tp0.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    this guy gets an update

2m7gpec.jpg
  • OrganizedChaos
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Very cool! I've been taking Scott Eaton's class on anatomy and your studies are realy inspiring. You may have already answered, but how do you choose what to base your study off of? Are you gathering a lot of reference images or working on the fly?
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Really cool stuff Scythe!

Organized - Check out books like Art Models, they give figures in rotated poses so its not just from one angle, pretty cool

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Models-Female-Figure-Shadow/dp/0981624979"]Art Models: 6: The Female Figure in Shadow & Light: Amazon.co.uk: Maureen Johnson, Douglas Johnson: Books[/ame]
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hey organized and Torch, thanks for the feedback !

So yeah lot of reference, gotta plow through thousands of image to find something appealing though. for the most daring poses i usually browse through gymnastics and dance photos. i've been liking this a lot lately.

Due to some professional stuff here and there i haven't been to work on anything since forever, so here where this guy was before. I think im done for the high, low is in progress

fnwl87.jpg

2vb90e8.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    hey long time no see, some more work on this sniper. Slacking on the scultping these day, am in the mood of just making some realtime stuff

4pz39f.jpg
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Looking very cool. The iron/metal parts are looking too rough. They are much shinier in the concept.
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    hey,
    you should definetly not sculpt anything that is cast metal.
    the only exception is some final alpha projection for the reliefs. but you might aswell do that straight in photoshop or whereever.

if you compare your result to something done the proper way, like this one
    kufiiidreadsarmor.jpg

you can see the difference in quality is quite apparent.
    i know this is about you getting better at sculpting, but crowbaring hardsurface in there is not going to help you.

hope this doesn't sound too negativ, i just want you to get better.
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Goeddy wrote: »
    hey,
    you should definetly not sculpt anything that is cast metal.
    the only exception is some final alpha projection for the reliefs. but you might aswell do that straight in photoshop or whereever.

Going to disagree here. You absolutely want these details in the sculpt. If they are placed in after the fact they are generally very flat. Now I think the sculpt details could have been a bit cleaner on the Scythe's armor, but I think most of the reason that the details aren't reading is because the gloss is way to high in the gold areas.
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    hey guys thanks for the feedback. I have to agree with Stev on that one. The gloss on the gold is definitely not final, just having a rough time finding some good values. (original is shiny as fuck, gotta work on that.)

Anyway, here's some update on him

20fdmbc.jpg
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Hi guys, I finally consider this done, time to move on onto my next project :

efjmvr.jpg

2cp6dy8.jpg

2qtek9c.jpg