Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge | May 2014 | Frogman, Demon, Illusionist

Replies

• Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Hi folks !

I'm in. I have started on the frog with Zphere, this is what I've done this morning:

Froggy_00.JPG

Froggy_01.JPG

Froggy_03.JPG
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    little update:

Froggy_04.JPG
  • Manticora
    PyrZern thanks!! Regarding the lips I tried different versions, but in the end I decided to give just a little hint in the model which would help the silhouette in close-ups. I don't know, I just like it better when they're modeled out, and it was within the budget.

Today, I dressed my illusionist, and even managed to get her down to 1997 Polys:

illusionist_wip_002.png

I'll try do give some feedback tomorrow, I'm just sooo tired right now :\ And all your updates are so cool, I don't really know what to critizise ^^
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Here's a little update. Worked on cloth, wrap on leg and the knee/shin armor.232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A%3C69%3Dot%3E982%3C%3D563%3D345%3DXROQDF%3E2656388%3B%3B%3B254ot1lsi
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Manticora: Looking good so far! Can't wait to see how you approach the texturing.
    Riceart: Looking solid I don't really have much to say about it critique wise.
    Pieru: Off to a great start. I like his little tail. :D
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    drogyn -- I like how you're handling the horns! Much more likely what they would be like in reality
    Jarvgrimr -- I think your hands look like they need the most work right now. I'd probably seperate them from the rest of the character so that you can drop the density of the mesh way down and slowly work them back up
    MrAwexome -- The head is looking really good! Going with just the two eyes? I like it. (ClusterOne beat me to this) I would consider seperating the body into sections because it looks like it is overly subdivided for the detail you have so far. Seperating it will make it easier to drop the density of the mesh without loosing detail on other parts you've worked up and it will make it so much easier to get the forms in and near complete before dividing the mesh! :D
    jaysonmtl -- Nice update! You might have already had these on your list of things to go back to, but it looks like add a little more detail to the ears and some more back anatomy. I would maybe shorten the forearms a little bit too, but I also like the exaggerated arms so I think that is a little bit of a personal preference change. I was basically going to mirror mostly everything to save texture space. Probably going to split the head, upper/lower body, hands, and then accessories
    PyrZern -- She's coming together! I'd be careful with the shirt folds on your chest. Some of them seem pretty random to me at the moment
    kalwdio -- Looking much better man! I'd give him some arm pits and it looks like his upper arm/bicep portion is bowed outwards, but you're progressing nicely!
    diskobiskit -- Nice start and welcome in on the action! Looking forward to more updates
    riceart -- thanks! :D I like the crown and how you made the feet. I'd maybe shorten his thumbs just slightly. They look longer than his other fingers. Looks like you're in the lead on the progress bar :P
    Pieru -- Looking sweet! Are you going for a mobile version with the two connected fingers?
    Manticora -- Nice update! Looking forward to more. I think her fingers might be a little too long
    Dimfist -- The cloth is making it come together nicely. I just noticed the deltoid looks a little off. It may be the angle, but it looks like it is really flat from about the middle of the medial delt down to where it connects to the bicep and then it has a weird bulge at the top

deltoidsanatomy123.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Raff. I agree. I still need to do an anatomy polish before I do textures!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks man. I will work more on her shirt's wrinkles.

Here's my afternoon session's progress.
    Remade her coat, and more time on her face. Thanks to the help I got from the Hangout :)
    10295541_10152380774845115_2957809282851158001_o.jpg
  • thepapercut
    Ugh university finals this week kept me from posting the last few days, so I apologize for not swinging by and giving critiques. Tomorrow will post everything i've got done, but now, more critiques!

@Pyrzern: Love how you handled the shirt so far. Feels fitted like in the concept.
    @dimfist: Not sure why but I like look at your frogs head and it gives a more turtle impression than frog..None the less really well structured.
    @Manticora: nicely done...the legs though to me read a bit thin.
    @Pieru: Love those feet.
    @Rafferty_Eggleston: Super expressive man, love how it reads. If you don't mind, could I somehow get a quick footnoted version of how you go about your process?
    @riceart: looking good man, keep at it!
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Rafferty_Eggleston:Pieru -- Looking sweet! Are you going for a mobile version with the two connected fingers?

hi, thank you. nope, I will not. Why I have melted two fingers? Just beacause they are merged on the concept art :)
    btw this froggman concept have a mistake on the merged fingers, on the right hand, the index and middle fingers are merged, on the left hand, the middle and last finger... :D

frogg.jpg

cheers
  • drogyn
    wip5.pngChompers in place.

I'll try to get some critiques that may help people in a bit, much has been said already :) keep up ze good work.

http://orianartstash.blogspot.ca/2014/05/polycount-wip-5-teefers.html
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    update at my break lunch:

Capture.JPG
  • Shyralon
    Offline / Send Message
    Shyralon polycounter lvl 11
    Pieru, which materisl is this? Really like it :)
    Nice progress all, nice to see some frogs coming along aswell..
    Unfortunately I won,t have time to continue my frog the whole weekend :(
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Shyralon wrote: »
    Pieru, which materisl is this? Really like it :)
    (

Material called " MP_Sculp03" I don't remember where I found it, on the Zbrush download center I guess...

drogyn -- His teeth are pretty cool, however, I think it's a bit early for detailling parts compared to the body.
  • Manticora
    Rafferty_Eggleston, thepapercut thanks for your feedback! I made some minor changes to her proportions and am happy with her now.

Great progress everyone, I love the detail on the back of her coat, PyrZern!

Did the UV layout and color blocking today, nothing special to be seen on her back ;)

illusionist_wip_003.png
  • Ape_Errata
    I'll be on the hang out for about the next 50 mins getting some sculpting in on my lunch break. Cheers. -Peter
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Guess we just missed each other, lol.

Anyway, I'm blocking out ideas for the back of her jacket. Not sure what to think yet. Ref mostly from steampunk style.
    rIHNsg5.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Pyr: I have to say that you are making some nice improvements! Keep at it man.
    Manticora: her legs are doing something weird at the inner thigh where it connects towards the pubis. Don't forget your smoothing.
    Pieru: another nice update man.
    Drogyn: teeth are looking pretty hawt man. Keep pushing those overall shapes!
    @thepapercut, I don't see what you are talking about but I am going to take a few hard looks at different angles. I don't want it saying "turtle" to the casual observer so its worth checking into.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Tiny update from me, mostly surface details, gonna start working on the gear now.

Frog_war_6.jpg

and a close up :)
    Frog_war_71.png
  • thepapercut
    @dimfist: What I think it is for me is how round and smooth the head is in the particular screen you posted.
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah I see. It's still low sub d I have yet to add final touches and details. He will get some nice alpha love :)
  • diskobiskit
    Roughing out some clothing and accessories.

WIP+008.jpg
    WIP+007.jpg
  • thepapercut
    It isn't much but this is what I've gotten done so far. This weekend is gonna be big in terms of blocking and getting everything together.
    WIP1_zpsb3271bf8.jpg
    @dimfist: looking forward to seeing it!
    @diskobiskit: liking the cloth folds.
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    hi, little up:

Froggy_05.JPG
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @thepapercut Nice blockout so far. Is that n-gon at her inner thighs ?
    @Pieru Pretty sick there. I feel like his eyes are too much forward, and maybe a bit more to the side.
    @Ozzmosis Glad you join us :) Can't wait to see more.

I remade her coat yet again, lol! Quite happy with this design so far.
    Don't know why I can't get good sculpting details in even at very high subdiv. I tried upping only the jacket to 2mills points (4mills tris) and sculpting stuff like seams still give me pixelated. :(What do I do...
    10273325_10152395872165115_4456102311294186223_o.jpg
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    PyrZern -- did you have the Smt/smooth turned off next to divide? What is the topology like on the base? Maybe you don't have enough topology in the areas that are coming out pixelated? You could always dynamesh it. Liking the redesign haha. I'll be gone for the next few days, but will come back strong next week!
  • MrAwexome
    Offline / Send Message
    MrAwexome polycounter lvl 6
    finished everything as far as modeling the high poly, not extremely happy with his loincloth, might re-sculpt that. In the mean time, COLORS! just the base for now

middleDemonpaint_base.jpg?1399781742
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @MrAwexome Maybe a bit more muscle definition around his legs ? As per his loin cloth, I'm thinking there should be some cloth tension around the upper corners.
    PyrZern -- did you have the Smt/smooth turned off next to divide? What is the topology like on the base? Maybe you don't have enough topology in the areas that are coming out pixelated? You could always dynamesh it. Liking the redesign haha. I'll be gone for the next few days, but will come back strong next week!

I don't know man. I think the basemesh is quite alright. I'm mostly trying to sculpt details on her back; around those straps. Maybe I should turn those rectangles into squares.
    y56ewcP.jpg
  • jaysonmtl
    Offline / Send Message
    jaysonmtl polycounter lvl 10
    Im kinda rushing this guy to work on other things.
    He is at 2700tris with mirrored UV's
    Here are my textures so far
    I gotta post more crits, going to sleep now
    A.png
    Isometric view to mimic mobile game
    B.png
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    frog_base_wip_02_views.jpg
    Starting to work seriously on the frog. He's fun as hell. Spend all night on the preps before the sculpting. Already got like an evening of work before than in order to lay down the proportions and add the belt and stuff, the rest was just made few hours ago. He's a fun one to work one.

I'm aiming for PBR but I'll maybe go with the mid res' , don't quite know yet... Any critiques or advise?
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    @Kapoff

hey! looks good overall, I think you should up the res of your renders though, the lack of AA is really now working in your favor :(
    most of your frog looks good, but the head could really use some love.

A frogs head is mostly flat with 2 spheres on top of it, their eyes are barely a part of their head.

Farmland-green-treefrog-head-detail.jpg
  • Teyon
    Offline / Send Message
    Teyon polycounter lvl 11
    That's true but if one is making a direct translation of the concept, I think Kapoff got it right. Consider that this isn't a Frog but a Frog-man. An evolution in a way. Just like humans, who developed forward facing, inset eyes, the illustration shows the Frog-man has something similar. So if Kapoff was just making a frog, you'd be right but if he's making a Frog-man, THAT Frog-man in particular, he stayed true to the concept art. Also, some frogs don't have quite the pronounced features that the frog you posted does. See the attachment.
  • blackkeys25
    Hey everyone, this is my first character so any feedback would be appreciated. obviously this is just a blockout as I haven't had much time but heaps more detail to come. Everyone's stuff is looking awesome, Would give better feedback but again, this is my first one :)

[IMG][/img]ZBrushScreenGrab01_zps136dcf12.jpg
  • Jarvgrimr
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarvgrimr polycounter lvl 10
    Where I'm at now, will post some C&C tomorrow morning, and if anyone has any C&C for me, it'd be most welcome!

zfn0Ze7.jpg
  • Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you are making a point lotet, and since I haven't gone really heavy on the ref's yet (was sticking to the concept only so far) I didn't quite get the frog flatish head. But in my defence and as Teyon said it very well, the concept is ton a simple frog, so the head should have some human features too. But something from both worlds is manageable I guess. Will put that on the to do list while sculpting.

As for the resolution of the renders, its just a simple screengrab here so the 1080p with the UI cropped is limiting me. But I guess that I could double the res' of the document and export it that way in order to fight the aliasing a you said it.

blackkeys25 You should look at the volume of your arms man, put some contrast between the deltoids, the biseps, and the forearms. That will greatly improve the silhouette. The feet look a little small too, but other than that, you are doing great! Keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback ga
  • kalwdio
    Offline / Send Message
    kalwdio polycounter lvl 9
    I am almost done with the high poly .. next step the retopo :S

UyjUffM.jpg
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Teyon wrote: »
    That's true but if one is making a direct translation of the concept, I think Kapoff got it right. Consider that this isn't a Frog but a Frog-man. An evolution in a way. Just like humans, who developed forward facing, inset eyes, the illustration shows the Frog-man has something similar. So if Kapoff was just making a frog, you'd be right but if he's making a Frog-man, THAT Frog-man in particular, he stayed true to the concept art. Also, some frogs don't have quite the pronounced features that the frog you posted does. See the attachment.

True. though your argument is accurate your resulting statement is not.
    as you said, a frog man is both man and frog, therefor we can NOT neglect the frog part OR the man part. in the case of Katoffs head, it reflects neither accurate frog nor human anatomy. and yes, the Concept is probably closer to a bullfrog then a tree frog, but the point is still the same.

in the case of hybrid animals its vital that the design is accurate from both the human and animal side of thing, otherwise it will look bad. one should not use "half this half that" as an excuse to bad research/anatomy knowledge.

im not saying Katoff does, im just saying your statement is hurting progress and improvement. I dont wont to argue, especially since the model we are discussing is neither mine or yours. im not saying this to defend myself, but to point out that we should always have an attitude that encourages improvement :)
  • blackkeys25
    Thanks heaps Kapoff, Your totally right, I will try fix the arms and feet now.
  • kmactastic
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    @PyrZern: Maybe try making a Dynamesh duplicate to get your details? Or just Zremesh it (to get more even topo) and project it to fit your current subtool that is giving you problems.

Update on the Illusionist. Might rework the topology on the chest area. Not sure if I want to go the ZBrush route, or hand paint it.

wip2.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    @jaysonmtl Nice texture there ! I think you can push his color a bit more. Contrast and saturation. Make the color pops.

@Kapoff Can't wait to see you sculpt him. Always love your style.

@kmactastic I will keep that in mind as I push for more details.

I'm trying to make the clothing looks more realistic. But I guess the wrinkles aren't selling it yet.
    904253_10152401944965115_1061905082314556147_o.jpg
  • kmactastic
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZen., your folds seem a little arbitrary. I would get more reference. Try googleing leggings. You'lll see lots of folds towards the bottom where there is more gathering of fabric but almost none where they are tight on the thighs. Something my teacher told me was that there is always more tension where the fold starts then it gets looser. For example the fold between the breasts on each one would be very sharp and small then in the middle between them it would be larger and softer since there is less tension in the middle. Hope that makes sense. that is the only critique I can give right now. Everything else is pretty bad ass ^^
  • Jarvgrimr
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarvgrimr polycounter lvl 10
    Working on chains now... anyone able to direct me to an easier way to do them?

I have made them using a insert mesh and used a curve to lay them out, but I can't get the chain to loop/meet in the middle. What am I doing wrong?

Also any other crits and comments are very much sought after :)

311rwk9.jpg
  • kmactastic
    Offline / Send Message
    ^
    try mirror and weld under geometry to have them meet in the middle( might mess up the back). Or mask and blur to soft select some of the chains and move them along your curve to get them to connect. It also looks like you can just add one more chain to complete it. so mask out a single link (or insert a single clink) split it off. then duplicate it and move it into place. Hope that helps.
  • Pieru
    Offline / Send Message
    Pieru polycounter lvl 5
    Ozzmosis & Pyrzern : Maybe you got right, however, I don't want to perfectly fit my character on the concept. I will try some modification, but later :) keep your advise in a corner of my brain !

new update:

3ff2034abfe2406b7b88ff714017a300.JPG
  • klown
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 11
    @ Jarvgrimr: Yeeeah boi! that is looking strong! Get some trim dynamic and dam standard on the horns, feet etc to give them nice nicks and scratches. With the chain, when you draw your curve, you can extend the curve by moving the cursor at the end of the curve until you see a red line appear. You can continue your curve and end it at the other end and it should make a loop!

Pieru: That is looking fantastic! really nice work man, love his head. Can't wait to see that finished :D

• Kapoff
    Offline / Send Message
    frog_sculpt_wip_01.jpg
    And one sculpt wip!
    Done tonight while hanging out on google with some of you guys. More too come.
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job in hangout today Gents. My zbrush crashed and somehow my hard drive filled up so trying to figure what up with that.
  • klown
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 11
    Dimfist wrote: »
    Nice job in hangout today Gents. My zbrush crashed and somehow my hard drive filled up so trying to figure what up with that.

Check your ZBrush autosaves. Undo history saves with the autosave on default so thats a really nice way to lose a whole bunch of HDD space without really noticing.
  • MrAwexome
    Offline / Send Message
    MrAwexome polycounter lvl 6
    Just finished the poly paint, sooo happy with this little guy now, on to the retopo!

Demon_HighPaint.jpg?1399956302
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh damn. Nice Demon-ling there. I'm gonna give myself a few more sculpting days before moving to retop phase.
    Shoot. I ain't gonna have time to finish anime 3d challenge, am I ?

Will continue cleaning up confusing wrinkles. Worked on her sleeves amd arm bracelets as well as pendant. Top hat next.

S5WthBN.jpg