Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Optiniums works

Replies

• stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    This is looking really nice. Though I think some of your edges might be a bit too sharp for baking.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Thanks guys :D

A button on setup Polygoblin? Do you have any reference or image to illustrate the idea? Those types of small details could really take the work up a notch!

Thanks Stevston89 for the feedback, is there any in-particular that stands out? I was intending on baking this down but I'm toying with the idea of a high res pose/composite, not 100% sure yet though.

Thanks again :)
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Yeah. I made this paintover just to highlight which area I think will not bake well. Red mean the edge is too sharp and green means the detail is too thin. The issues aren't soo bad that it won't look good. It just won't be clean throughout. One other crit it would be cool to get some a-symmetrical elements in there. Maybe have one of the larger arms have more armor than the other or even one side of his body. Keep it up it's a really cool piece.

Anyways here is the image:

4QpPYo6.jpg
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Thats super helpful Stevston, thanks a great deal :D I'll be sure to have another look at those areas if I decide to take it to baking.

Asymmetry was always going to happen, staying symmetrical until all the main parts are finished :)

Big thanks again though for the feedback and taking the time to highlight it the way you did :D
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Feckin awesome dude, really nice hard surface work!
  • Optinium
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Did some more stuff tonight on my alien dude thingy... flushed out some feet but by no means final, playing maybe with some cloth elements... any thoughts?
    vR8Wqs7.jpg

Also started a new base mesh for me to practice/work with. Any glaring mistakes... apart from the obvious (i.e no eyes/toes :P)
    btRdOii.jpg
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    No crit from me, just stopping by to say it has been amazing to watch your progress as an artist on here. You have a vast improvement of skill in character art over your stint here on PC, and definitely can say it is inspiring to say the least.

Keep it up man, really awesome stuff. Love your current alien project, and the human base mesh. I see no glaring problems with either.
  • VanLogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VanLogan polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome stuff! The base mesh looks good but it looks like the sartorius is too high http://www.exrx.net/Images/Muscles/SartoriusAnterior.gif
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    I like that alien dude, i am curious i saw a similar model was that yours of that flaming centaur dude. Kind of tripping out here because why would someone replicate your model? Edit nvrmnd that was you, progressed quickly, damn.

Anyway nice work all around i guess the obvious is the slightly short thighs? not sure though, probably render angle plus i am not so knowledgeable. ;)
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Optinium wrote: »
    A button on setup Polygoblin? Do you have any reference or image to illustrate the idea? Those types of small details could really take the work up a notch!

My gosh, I'm sorry. I think I had this thread set to a weekly notification subscription :poly136:

This is an example of an American football neck roll, a common piece of equipment for defensive players:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQw7AnZOssYtp2GxxCjLUeOkjgjgwbmkERyPqF9pYdo4z3_otW

The button snaps fasten to the shoulder pads (upper torso armor) to keep the pad in place, but removable/washable. You can see on this particular model that all the buttons are all on a flap that wraps around the roll, which is what I was saying could snap around that large neck opening, breaking up the soft shapes between it and the pad.

All snaps would look cool. Looking at other roll designs, I thought it'd be mighty cool to have it laced up in the back or something too ;)
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    overall on your alien dude I love the silhouette. I also like the detail on the shoulder pads.

Are you planning to make a weapon for this guy?
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Ty people.

Thanks for the ref there Polygoblin, I've put the neck cushion in although it is a bit hard to see.

JamesMeader, I do want to make a weapon for him, I'll need to design one first though :3

Update here, only small. I've redesigned the helmet/mask. Hopefully have the legs done this weekend if I dedicate the time to it... Feedback welcome :3

QzSyyuV.jpg
  • Larkbeef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some really cool stuff in here. Very clean!

You're not finished with the legs for the alien character yet, and while I don't like loafy feet, but it feels like they might be a tad to small to carry that weight?

Keep up the good work!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    hey, that looks really freaking cool, love the cloth, definitely your best work so far :)
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Looking great! That silhouette is looking mean from every angle. This is a very nice piece. Awesome frequency of details :)

Last piece of feedback I believe I have is that I'd like to see some sort of white color on those shins. The white outlines a type of skeleton in a cool way, but stops at the knees. It'd be cool to take that all the way down imo.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Now it's looks badass! Great piece of work! As always :)
  • Bao92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    awesome model! really digging it :D
    but i have to agree on larkbeef maybe the feet are somwhat a bit small to carry that weight?
    Also not sure if the cloth folds are right
    here is a ref if you dont know what i mean: ca04eda079b006ff1a3fbb8ce0bcf56c.jpganyway keep it up! looking foward to see that finished :D
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Look really awesome! The only crit I have is that the leg below the knee should either be thicker or longer( or both). The legs feel great when only taking into account the lower torso. Though the upper body is so huge it feels like the legs wouldn't be able to support it especially not with all of the armor. Just a suggestion though. It looks good the way it is, but I think it looks like he would fall over or his legs would snap.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Loving the crits people, thanks a bunch, taking a day out to concept some weaponry for this guy, then I'll get back to work on him and start putting some of those crits to good use :D
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    2 of the weapon concepts from today :0

t3Sc1rA.jpg
  • carmar4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work dude
  • JL-Art
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JL-Art polycounter lvl 4
    Fantastic thread you have here. Loads of cool stuff!
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Been a long couple of weeks and not had a great deal of time for personal art. I'm taking a break from my Alien guy but will be back on it soon. Meanwhile started a base model for a new character, done over several lunch time crunches. A lot to do, I'm thinking a medevil fantasy character, Feedback welcome.

sqIiZCwl.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Proportions are really strange. His torso looks really wide and his feet are really big. The legs also feel really short.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Thanks Stevston89, he'll be getting several more passes so I'll add all that to the list, good feedback thanks, this type of stuff is exactly the reason I've posted it :)
  • polozad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polozad polycounter lvl 9
    Great material/texture work.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Yup, saw this on the "what are you working on" thread and thought he looked way too wide from the pecks down. otherwise, nice sculpt!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Proportions are really strange. His torso looks really wide and his feet are really big. The legs also feel really short.

well...this pretty much nailed it.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Thanks for the crits guys, really appreciated. Done a small amount on him tonight along with a scrappy render, does he sit a bit better now?

pULrLrKl.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Looking better but he still feels squashed. Legs are too short, feet are a bit too big, the thighs are too short, and the forearm is a bit long. Here is a quick paintover.

7yjPW9q.gif
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Thanks Stevston89, I've implemented those changes but sharing that will wait for a bigger update, thanks again :D.

Not had much spare time to do work recently, so had to relegate my personal work completely to my Lunchtimes. So working on this Alien dude again, still a WIP but would love feedback regarding the overall design and potential colour scheme. Going to redo the cloth and work up the lower leg area, then move onto detailing.

e4BEe6ul.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Looks cool. Personally I would like to see more metallic elements over the plasticy stuff. Also might be nice to push a bit more green into the skin for contrast. I really like the design though keep going!
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Decided to work on more anatomy today. Still work to do on the rear, feet, hands etc... but looking for some insightful feedback :)

OeONRkX.jpg
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Busy day, another update on this guy! Retopoed, UV'd, baked and now in engine. Colours are WIP and will probably serve as selection masks mostly. I'm looking forward to working on the rig and materials next :D Crits welcome :)

dJgAh6X.jpg
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    looking badass man! - cant wait to see him textured ;)
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Everything looks badass man! Love the progress

Huge improvement on that anatomy sculpt!
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Optinium, Outstanding progress on your thread. But I've got to say on you latest anatmony you guy is falling foul to being a tad wide again, especially in the hip area. The Shoulders also droop down a little bit. Try raising it.

Other than that the Alien bloke looks fantastic.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Alien dude looks great!

The anatomy study is looking good, though I think he got a bit wide and squashed vertically again. Also the feet are too big.
    Here is a quick paintover with proportion suggestions:

fYmo7vA.jpg
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Thanks for the feedback and crits guys, I'll keep at it :D Oddly enough I had the hips higher and thinner, then asked my girlfriend what she thought (was probably a bad idea) and made changes on her feedback, the responsibility is still mine though :P
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    working on some details today... then gonna start texturing the Alien guy later :3

4Hfso3Fl.jpg
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Started the shoulder pieces, trying to sort materials 1st before adding wear etc... Going for a PBR workflow again...

mT0IbTb.jpg
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Laying down foundations on the torso. Skins not been touched trying to separate colours and materials neatly... feedback welcome :D

gaTkSrg.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    It's looking pretty great so far. The one thing that is bugging me is the skin. I don't really feel like human skin type works. Maybe try out something more tough like rhino skin with the more human like skin in the vulnerable areas ( under the arm, the face, etc.) Here is a bit of ref as suggestion.

white_rhinoceros_skin_texture_by_photosammich-d5z9mcz.jpg
  • MrVain87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrVain87 polycounter lvl 6
    Yup, these are sick ! :) GJ guys
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Thanks Stevston89, I've got some idea's for the skin when I come to work on it. Spent some more time today playing with colour combinations and lighting etc... This current one is sitting better with me. Gonna add wear, decals and all that jazz to :) Feedback welcome.

FfIku1n.jpg
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Anyone else a fan of Mass Effect ;) Started doing some of the armour wear and grime on the torso tonight.

bdqQOtXl.jpg
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea skin seems to clean right now for me at least.

also maybe go towards something like thane from ME2 with the blended colours, with darker areas to make it pop more.

also the lower arms are bugging me... starting to feel like you left another smaller character in the shot by mistake.. guess what i'm trying to say is it looks to separated from his torso. try pulling colours from his torso into the shoulder and vise versa.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    I've got plenty of images of Thane :D His colour scheme is what I'll be aiming for so hopefully it will fit well with the armour :)

Yeah, the arms do look a bit goofy in the 'A' pose, hopefully when I rig him and give those arms something to carry they won't look so irregular. That along with a solid skin texture will hopefully do the trick. I'm leaving the skin until later though, I really want to get the armor working.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Inspired by the ZBWorkshop by David Krentz, I thought I'd give a T-Rex a shot with the intent on getting a 3D print once it's done, maybe from Shapeways... Still loads to do, thought I'd do a quick test pose.

D6CnU52.jpg