Home General Discussion

Final Fantasy 8: Squall is dead

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
Mindfuck.

Have you guys ever seen this? FF8 was one of my favorites as a teen (still love the music).

http://squallsdead.com/

endshot8.jpg

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    That's a very interesting take on the storyline that i had never really considered...

i like it!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of this makes sense to the insanity that confused me when I played it, especially the ending cut scene.
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Very interesting write-up. FF8 was always my favorite. This definitely clarifies some of the story if this is true. Either way nice find.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I really like this paragraph.
    The truth is, I don’t think there is a substantial amount of evidence to conclude whether or not the writers intended for the audience to interpret the game in this fashion. I choose to believe that this is how the game was intended to be understood because, to me, the game makes no sense otherwise. Everything that happens to the characters after the first disc is ridiculous. The ending is like recapping the game on acid. There has to be something more to the story than a simple ‘Hero Takes All’ plot.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Saw that site before, and heard the theory originally just after the game came out. There are one or two other theories floating around, but this one always seemed the most plausible to me.

Afaik Square staff never clarified wtf was up with the story, I guess they just really wanted people to figure it out for themselves.
  • skankerzero
    Reminds me of this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S1SVkysIRw"]Game Theory: Is Link Dead in Majora's Mask? - YouTube[/ame]
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I had a debug mode on a memory card that had some crazy NPC-UI type thing, where you'd talk to certain NPCs and they'd teleport you to other areas, some had dialog about the designers, one would let you watch the FMVs on disc 1, 3, and 4. There was a strange puzzle room too... i need to see if i can find it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu_WAmtr_hg"]Final Fantasy VIII Debug Room - YouTube[/ame]

That said, i watched the end of FF8 about 30 times, and never really got it. i like this interpretation!
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Mind blown!!
    Also, that empty-hollow face...Fk, NIGHTMARE!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm feeling half tempted to quickly play through the game again with this theory in mind just to see how it applies.

Just reading that page connects my dots of confusion with various parts of the game, but it'd be cool to replay it accepting the idea that Edea killed Squall.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I got to the second disc and stopped playing. Did Squall ever stop being such an mopey jerk?
  • SUPAVISI
    Offline / Send Message
    SUPAVISI polycounter lvl 7
    Interesting, I enjoyed the game, even though Squall was kind of depressing 
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZEdDMQZaCU"]Revenge of the Nerds - NERDS! - YouTube[/ame]

hahaha. nah ff8 was cool, never finished it, but being about 15 at the time the emo kinda longing after a girl storyline was easily identifiable. If i could stomach the cheese and terrible ps1 graphics I would probbaly love to go back and play it again. i remember the card game being awesome as well.
  • Needles
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    If anyone knows anything about Japanese anime exaggeration no one dies from being impaled by a shard of ice unless its through the heart. He was clearly hit on the side. By jp fantasy logic that is a survivable wound.

Though its pretty brilliant how a small change in interpretation can make the game story seem much more deep and grounded.
  • Nox
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Glad to see some FF8 love here :> I don't believe in that theory, if plot seems confusing or nonsense to you, that's because it's japanese game haha :]

Don't care what haters say, but I still find graphics very cool (aside from being lo-res), they have some artistic feel to it. Also great mix of sci-fi and fantasy.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    I got to the second disc and stopped playing. Did Squall ever stop being such an mopey jerk?

Nope. I think this is why I liked it so much as an angsty teenager, though. I recall trying to play it several years ago and I couldn't stand him.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    As nice as that theory is, it seems unlikely. The entire idea revolves around the second half of the game being a "dream," but it would be the first time in the history of ever that someone was portrayed to have some ludicrously long and elaborate dream because they were dying. It just makes zero sense to me in that regard.
    Flashbacks, yeah. But stuff that never even happened?
  • Bridget
    That image... I didnt want to sleep tonight anyway. :poly127:
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    As nice as that theory is, it seems unlikely. The entire idea revolves around the second half of the game being a "dream," but it would be the first time in the history of ever that someone was portrayed to have some ludicrously long and elaborate dream because they were dying. It just makes zero sense to me in that regard.

...so...it makes zero sense for that to be the story...because it would be...original?
  • Kraftwerk
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    Well if i remeber right a Squerasoft member working on the game already said that Squall infact didnt die on Edeas ice bolt (he read about this idea) but when i first readed that page i found it interresting as well, but i kinda gave the game up when reaching the final boss lol and Squall never was a hero i liked either.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Someone should just ask Yoshinori Kitase (wrote FF8s story) about these things already so the games mysteries can be put to rest. Though considering its been 15 years he might not even remember the specific details anymore.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i remember the card game being awesome as well.

it is.

it's so awesome that people have emulated JUST the card game for pc haha.
  • gsokol
    I thought this was awesome, but I can't say I agree with everything after disc 2 being a dream.

One of the bigger points was that the first disc was more believable, vs the Moogles later on in the game.

Did this guy forget that the first SeeD training mission you do in the game involves talking to and fighting a giant fire beast? (Ifirit). I don't think the second half of the game feels like a weird dream, I think it feels like a typical JRPG.

Still though, I loved the article and it presented an interesting point of view (and brought back some memories).
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Grimwolf wrote: »

not because he was dying, but...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwYw2i2icNg"]"Newhart" - Series Finale - YouTube[/ame]

8 seasons of a dream :P
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I'm not saying the long and convoluted dream itself is unlikely, just that it being triggered by dying specifically makes no sense. It would make more sense if the entire second disc was triggered because he ate some bad eggs or something.
    It's no different than saying that magic exists in the game because oranges are actually green in that world. There's no logical correlation.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    press release from Squall addressing the rumors:

"Perhaps the rumour started because I haven't been much in the press lately. I have done enough press for a lifetime, and I don't have anything to say these days. I am happy to be with my family and I will work when I work. I was switched on for ten years and I never switched off. Now I am switching off whenever I can. I would rather be a little less famous these days"
  • NeoCrimson
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Someone should just ask Yoshinori Kitase (wrote FF8s story) about these things already so the games mysteries can be put to rest. Though considering its been 15 years he might not even remember the specific details anymore.
    Kitase in the interview in the Ultimania says that in the game there is a happy ending.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/197343-final-fantasy-viii/68548821?page=1

About the theory, in my opinion... Squall not dies in the game. (spoilers) If he die on Disk 1 everything that follows from disc 2 onwards would not make sense, we would not know the role of Edea, the connection with Laguna, Ellone, etc.

Now, I want to mention the point "d) Just stay close to me."

There is a translation error in english version: "If I didn't, I wouldn't be talking about it." In the japanese version is: "If I did I couldn't talk about it like this", then she no longer likes Seifer. See: lokasenna.pe.kr/ardente/etc./

One more thing, the line: "I wonder how he felt...?" if I am not mistaken in the Japanese version is: "I wonder what he thought of me", indicating further that among them there was more friendship that anything else.

Speaking as what is presented here, she does not see to Seifer on the dance floor (actually he was not there), but she see at the director Cid Kramer and talk with him. This is indicated in the "Rebellion Princess" page, a page that brought information of Ultimania and other sources.

Also, Rinoa in the game NEVER says and ensures that Seifer was her boyfriend, then obviously they were not boyfriends. It is also important to say that she THOUGHT loved Seifer, NOT assures us even hinting several things: that she was confused with his feelings (for me the most reasonable choice), she was not interested, I had no desire to formalize a relationship with him, etc. And to top Seifer did not know if some feelings / what he thought about her. To me, that is not a relationship at all.

For me, They only had a relationship purely business, hence Seifer falls in the summer with the Owls of the Forest, and he has a dream to meet a child (Rinoa is not a sorceress/witch when he met, so it makes sense that he are not interested in her), and apart is a revolutionary type, who loves battles, for he delighted to release Timber, and continue increasing their ego.
    If Seifer risked his life by Rinoa can not ensure, do not forget that he never says why, will not know your reason, but remember that Squall is also there, and he is his rival. Seifer fears that Squall and Rinoa are defeated for the Galbadia's army for majority and experience, and that's why going to his aid.

Squall does not die in disc 4 (spoilers) because the the video where Selphie and Irvine filmed the celebration after beating Ultimecia, everyone is happy, that means that everything went well (include Squall alive).