Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tiny Space - Game dev

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
So I'm starting up this project again.

Essentially it's an economy management game crossed with kerbal space program in 2d, using full orbital mechanics, albeit in 2d.

I have the physics prototype working, but I'm not entirely sure the direction i'll be going to try and get it made. Mostly as i don't have a solid income right now. Either it will be on the side of freelance, or fulltime work or i try and kickstart it.

This first piece is the key art.

ZXCaL0m.jpg?1

And here is some of the older stuff in the last thread.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e305/muzzoid/rocket-parts.png
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e305/muzzoid/rocketsweb.png

I'm going to try and get some footage of the prototype up in the next few weeks.

EDIT: you can also check out the first version of the key art 2 years ago... yeah i've improved a lot haha. http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e305/muzzoid/pitch.jpg

Replies

• aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Loving the keyart you just posted. I think you can do more of a gradient on the background sky from the earth to a black space.

If I had one note on some of your other art, is that I think you should let the ship designs get a lot more playful. Maybe throw a little metal slug playfulness into it? Just a thought.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dado!

I'm glad to know that i wear my influences on my sleeve. That tasty Rob Laro and Prometheus shape language is a massive inspiration, as well as things like Venus Wars (Mokato Kobayashi) and You Yoshinari. That solid toy like feeling is really what i love as well. Like if i don't want to 3d print it and stick it on my desk then i feel that the design isn't solid enough.

Aesir:
    I had more of a gradient, but it didn't look as good on crappy monitors, and it wouldn't print as well. So yes it looks cooler, but for less people :P.

And yeah i totally agree on making it more playful i did those first rocket designs before i did kickball, so that will all be redone and be a lot better.
  • Alchimi
    Offline / Send Message
    Alchimi polycounter lvl 4
    I dig that key art! Would love to see more!:)

So essentialy the objective is to launch/build stuff into orbit? Or you are planning on having an "exploration/colonization of other planets" phase also?
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, colonization and bases is the entire idea of the game :D!
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    thats beautiful :)
  • Jeremy Mitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Mitchell polycounter lvl 6
    This...is...amazing.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looking nice so far, like the logo and the use of glow
    What could be improved is the trail of the rocket, it does not look right.
    Its somewhat a splash of mud on a small scale, just in very big, and the steam (cant find the word right now) looks a little improvised with a not so much fitting brush, I dunno, another layer of polish could make that really fine tho