Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique

narticus
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
narticus polycounter lvl 7
I know there's a million of these threads, but I'd love some feedback on mine.

Currently re-branding myself as a game asset/environment artist, so the game art section is new. Still need some more completed pieces in there before I expect it to be taken seriously, but I'm hoping for some general feedback on layout and look. Thanks

www.rullidesign.com

Replies

• Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looking pretty good, You just need to create more assets and some full environments if you want to be an environment artist.
    Your textures all seem pretty low res. If you're going with a next gen workflow I'd make the textures larger, at least for portfolio purposes.

I wouldn't include this picture because it seems very unfinished:

http://static.squarespace.com/static/525ef6cce4b01b58d2e7c532/52fd8772e4b04c769a1e0c20/52fd8ad4e4b0a44284e8b7ce/1395004628684/Desert_01.jpg?format=1500w

Your arch vis section is pretty cool too. The experience will probably be beneficial to an environment artist. I'd only showcase your best work there though imo.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, yeah I need to weed out some of the arch viz section. Put a ton up there originally just to see what looked good, but haven't yet had a chance to trim the fat.

Also, which textures seem low res to you? Everything up there is 2k. Think it should be higher?
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    the props layout looks really good but u may want a stronger piece in front page, looking good anyways :)
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    I am finally at a point where I can put more work into my portfolio. I'm wondering though...what would be a more appealing piece to a potential employer: an interior or exterior? Or does that even matter?

I'm considering fleshing out the inside of the diner. I suppose some exterior elements would be great to see through the windows. But I also started on a desert scene. Not sure which to work on first. Help me decide!
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump, for a portfolio/website update. Any C+C welcome! http://www.rullidesign.com/
  • Oskar Selin
    Offline / Send Message
    Oskar Selin polycounter lvl 3
    Nice website! It's easy to read and it has a personal touch.

On your environments, assets and shaders (this is where your possible employer will look) I would like to see a breakdown of the process.
    - Did you do the concept yourself?
    - Are the pieces modular?
    - Your environment is presented in UE4. Did you use any special shaders, like vertex painting? How did you set that up?
    - etc etc
    I got this same feedback for my site from a teacher. He said by presenting the process you show that you understood what you were doing and share your smart solutions (modular, vertex paint, material intstancing or such)

I can agree with other comments that you should remove some of your arch/i viz.

For your next scene I would go for an exterior (continue on that desert scene). You already have one interior and your arch-viz shows that you have good knowledge in building bigger more open scenes.
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Your content seems pretty good, but in my opinion your website is too fractured right now. What I mean by this is that you need click around too much to get a good overview of your stuff. Right now you've got 5 subsections for your work, I would cut them down to 2 or maybe 3 at most. I would have one section for the game art (with separate headers for assets, shaders, and environments) and another for the visualizations (again architectural and industrial separated, but on the same page).

If you were to combine your different disciplines a bit more some pages might get a bit too crowded so you might want to cull some of the weaker pieces as well. The architectural work is nice but I think there's just too much of it ATM.

If you want to do environment art you might want to change your title (in the websites header) to reflect that instead of 'Architectural Visualization'.

On the resume you might want to remove the phonenumbers (and potentially the names altogether) and just give them out on request so as to not have them bothered unnecessarily. I don't know how big of a problem this is, but I've heard that it can be a problem.

Lastly I would also remove the contact page and just write out your email address somewhere in your banner instead. This is what I have done and so far I haven't received a single piece of spam (YMMV though).

All in all, good work so far, but the website could use some work.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! All very helpful.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote: »
    If you want to do environment art you might want to change your title (in the websites header) to reflect that instead of 'Architectural Visualization'.

Where are you seeing this Nosslak? Website header? I'm kinda dumb with web design, so I don't know what that is. :poly122:
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    It looks like you've fixed it now, but the tab name in Firefox mentioned architectural visualization before.

I forgot to mention it before but add a link to your portfolio in your sig as well, man!

I think the new organization made your portfolio look a lot better. Good job on fixing that!
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yeah, not sure why I didn't have it in my sig.

Updated the site a bit yesterday. Weeded out a bunch of the arhcviz stuff and combined it with industrial viz. Removed my references from my resume (not sure why I had that version up there). Also combined all game art and added some breakdowns of my environment scene. I'm working on an exterior setting next, but that will probably not be up there for another month or two, realistically.
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some close-ups on the assets used in my environment. Does anyone think this is redundant? I'm considering adding another image of each with wireframes. Which may be even more redundant. Please let me know your thoughts.