Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Female

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks for the references. I really like the idea of high-tops, it might be something that gets revisited. I do worry a bit that they regress the characters age a bit, since sneakers are more a high-school thing (that's just my opinion), but high-fashion sneakers are different I would think.

input appreciated here, is this my really bad idea for the day? Spamming some sort of geometric shape over parts of the surface?

Only other thing I've had a chance at was the pants wrinkles last night, did a mostly lower-leg pass on them.

EqgvLzP.jpg
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Please delete that top... Everything else is looking great though :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Haha so a bad idea then.
  • Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    I like the overall shape of it, but I don't think the mess of hexagons is working. It needs to be more 'designed', as it were.
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    OK, I was a little blunt with my last post. The hexagons are too random and do not match anything else she is wearing. If you want to continue experimenting with the design I would suggest framing it in some way with a trim or some sort of clear outline to make it look like an actual top.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Haha no it's okay I specifically asked if it was a dumb idea. I don't mind being told so, I really appreciated the honest and direct nature of the feedback.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Don't like the top either but I do find the pattern you got going on interesting. Perhaps you could translate it to fabric. Having the stiff material would probably cut into the skin on every move anyway.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Well if you're looking for something unusual it's a good idea, this mixed with fashion sneakers, with acid colors, could be really cool. But yeah it will need a lot of design.

I'm more concerned about the mechanical arm though, I think it's over-used in sci-fi design. When you think about a futuristic character, there are 3 things everybody think about : mechanical arm, colored and strange hair, and cyborg eyes...

I really like the boots you did though, I think that they have a Deus Ex HR feeling, if you put them in black. You could go for this Cyber Renaissance style they have, ultra classy :

cyberrenaissance.jpg

Just need to put some fancy pattern on the vest, like the ones on Jensen's coat ^^.

dxhr17nbww.jpg
  • MrsNomingtons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrsNomingtons polycounter lvl 12
    ysalex wrote: »
    Thanks for the references. I really like the idea of high-tops, it might be something that gets revisited. I do worry a bit that they regress the characters age a bit, since sneakers are more a high-school thing (that's just my opinion), but high-fashion sneakers are different I would think.

It definitely doesn't regress the characters age at all. If anything it's age appropriate :) These sneakers are ageless, especially when its a designer like Jeremy Scott. Girls in their 20s (and 30s and maybe even 40s) wear his shoes pretty much all the time and your girl is definitely in her 20s. I thought they were especially suitable for your character because she's look like she's got an urban background in a futuristic setting.

If you're still unconvinced by the playfulness of a colourful sneaker, then let's move on to the boots and shoes. There's been a lot of them in fashion lately with designers like Gareth Pugh, Alexander McQueen and Rick Owens. In a lot of their futuristic designs, you see a lot of paneling, clever use of geometry, seaming/tubing that follow the lines of a woman's body and compliment her so well. And most importantly, angles. And when I say angles, this is what it looks like

ecdc490fa5d4850ea396bfcfbfaac1cb.jpg
    PATTERNITY_DARKSIDEOFTHEPRISM_-Gareth-Pugh-aw-201112.jpg

And these are some of the shoes

5a51050374134711280280f406551ca1.jpg

8859e19f2d1a731f6956f27e675d4c00.jpg

And oh what the hell, I put it all in a pinterest board for you :) I labelled each photo with the name of the designer and you can look further from there if a specific shoe is of any interest to you.

http://www.pinterest.com/mrsnomingtons/sci-fi-futuristic-shoes/

These garments all have angles that immediately read futuristic. And the tubing and paneling are in the micro details that make it even MORE futuristic and sci fi. These are all elements and keywords to keep in mind. Now everything I've linked so far has been high fashion and full of drama and that's fine, I find that it's easier to take away and simplify than add. Just don't be afraid to really look at this stuff. Look at the runways and designers that have already established this sci fi, blade runner vibe and even how it has translated into everyday clothing that women are wearing now.

Basically....tldr....long story short....

Research. Research till your brain is fried. Do a shitload of paintovers. And most of all, understand what and who you want your character to be.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Have about two weeks to do some of my own work, finally (well, this is still freelance but it is very unstructured, client is super cool). It's been months since I've really gotten to go my own direction. Beers and movies and a night of sculpting to get back into this has been a blast. Didn't make a huge ton of changes but they were deliberate, I have a better idea of where I want to go with her now.

6QH3u9M.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Glad to see you are working on this again. Looking forward to more updates.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Yay, keep it rolling Yuri :)
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Loving those eyes, so well done :)
    Looking forward to see more of her!
  • blackdragonstory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blackdragonstory polycounter lvl 9
    I liked her more when she was half naked,if you get what I mean xD
    Keep up,this is awesome :)
  • atomicguppy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She looks like and 80s/early 90s version of the future, which is kinda cool. The robot arm is awesome. It is a great way of putting some cool future tech into the sculpt without it being overbearing. It feels a lot like "this technology is so common that it is just kinda there rather than being a focus point". Keep up the great work, I am really excited to see how this turns out.
  • Pisciel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to see you working on it again! :D
    She's looking really pretty, but I actually preferred her face before. I felt it had a more unique and protruding personality before. She's super pretty, but I feel like she's too pretty and perfect now.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    wow amazing work!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Working on some alternate styles, which one do you guys prefer?

kt8LBW1.jpg
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Huum I would say A. I love the design of the leather vest.

Great work anyway :D
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I personally love C seems like it fits her better especially due to her recent face touch ups
  • Pisciel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed. C is really nice. Together with the knee high boots you did before I think it'll look great! The silver jacket/bolero is still super. Love the sharp shoulders and the solid shine. Maybe it could somehow work with C without ruining the designa nd flow too much.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    I'm partial to C. either way, it looks really good.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I would stick with A. C looks nice, but it doesn't feel that sci fi.
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    C all the way. Simple, yet so elegant. But yes, it's not sci-fi enough.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Took C concept a bit further:

h23IZO8.jpg
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Really classy, great work, keep it up.
  • kimmokaunela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Looking very good. Looks like a key character for a AAA title.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
    Stunning work!! did you know your work inspires me?
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Nice stuff. I prefer the sleeveless.

Be careful with the elbow position. Good work
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Looking cool. I think combining the jacket with this might work out. Hope you don't mind the quick paint over suggestion. I just think the jacket was really cool and helped pull it into the future a bit more.

HLnK2dn.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thank you Steveston I like that look.

You guys think I can get away with something like this?

3bAJki0.jpg
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there the silver jacket and this outfit really do not look good together it's maybe to distracting to the eye maybe it's tooo sliver...also as for the ear piece i don't think it's needed some simple accessories like a cuff earring would look great on this character for example ear-cuffs--large-msg-132035396724.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I do agree that it looks better more simple as far as the ear goes, but I've been asked to incorporate a headset in there. Something capable of communication and perhaps visual field projection. So this was an attempt at incorporating it right into the head vs one that is remove able.

So in that context would you keep it or do something exterior?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I like the idea I think it could maybe be incorporated a bit more. Maybe extending down into the jaw. Idk I think it looks good.
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm...if it was my character i would make the eyes mechanical in a sense where it could do field projections possible exterior communication .. i do trust your judgement
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
    I do like the ear piece idea you have but I think It would look better with a removable ear piece and keep the real organic ear. Not sure what cool blue tooth design you can incorporate but I think you should try. If you choose to stay with the one you have now that's still cool I think it's neat.
  • TheFarUniverse
    I love the over all design so much. I really like how some skin is showing in the arms overall and the ear piece is a great design.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i like the changes... but i absolutely love her face :D
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the earpiece seems to have too much wavy organicn-ess in certain areas for a robotic piece. perhaps some toning that down could help or adding material splits in the interior. maybe also one of those flat microphone type things to where the earhole should be.

the edges on the earpiece look painfully sharp on the bottom part to me, since the jawbone moves a bit when we talk.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks guys.

So just the next step, refining stuff and working on some new things. The earpiece I have a lot of design work to do on, I am not happy with the current direction, so I will probably go back to the design and try to rework it. It was mentioned (by decoyz, thanks) that there are too sharp of edges for it to be comfortable, and I agree, so I might try something a bit more curved and friendly.

Shoes I am finally happy with, design wise anyways, they still need texture and details, but I like that they are very simple in terms of style, go better with the coat. I appreciate the nudge from others earlier to move away from the cowboy boot styles. These might not be futuristic enough, which was part of the problem before, but I really didn't want shoes that were too complex, that were 'designed' or 'futuristic' enough to distract the eye, so I just went with simple and black, which trying to keep a nice shape from front and side.

bvnoASF.jpg

J1WWv7d.jpg

fEOVYgP.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    New arm -

I am definitely aware that the arm joint is mislocated, I thought it would make for more interesting clunk to the animation, as it throws her arm more forward by about 2-3 inches.

ZDcZbSj.jpg

r9vb7JI.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    If her ear is replaced and it is un-detach-abled, then it doesn't really have to shape like a regular human ear, does it ?
    Also, does she not lean forward too much ?

I think it is either a bluetooth-looking earpiece, or something more cyborg/robotic.
    1293694498l0.jpgemotiv.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Yeah she definitely has a bit of a forward lean, kiltering a bit too much, thank you good crit. As for the earpiece, I do like the fake ear style rather than anything more outlandish or awkwardly stylized, but haven't decided on an end design for it yet - I might try to incorporate more real ear in. Either way I feel like a non ear shaped solution would unbalance her, I highly doubt personally that in the future robotic solutions will fail to mimic what they are replacing, for a number of vanity or other aesthetic reasons, at least not typically. I realize the thing being white is a bit of hypocrisy on this point. Probably wrong but that kind of thing isn't where I want to take this particular character.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I believe the arm and ear piece really give her character and a robotic feel. Although I think the ear piece design currently occupies to much skin after the ear outline. Maybe make the earpiece only the ear?
    I really like where this is going!
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something bothered me about her eyes.
    pZN091V.gif
    Not the most fair comparison, but I think you might notice what's the problem.
    Your eyeball appears slanted. The eyelid opening is also too thin and too small, notice how far back it goes, almost to the middle of an eyeball.

VFhCg9k.jpg

Check your eyelid all-too-important angle, for a good measure
    2dxqAaO.png

Also, notice that the eyebrow reflects the curvature of the skull under it. It just doesn't go like that to the back of the head.

1gFkBtq.png

And since it's the girl, she should have less pronounced brow ridge. It's mostly a masculine trait. But if that's what you're going for then fine.

I hope i helped.
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Really Awesome!! Loving the clothing designs man!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    woohoo, long time no update, here is the next step. Fingers need cleaning, did some small design stuff, a couple more detail things and I think I'll be ready for low-poly.

All the joints in the fingers work, after trial and error, and need cleaning, but the result should be nice.

1HvDCwR.jpg

KSjjimD.jpg
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Very cool design! I like the design of her top, it looks futuristic yet fashionable and believable.

Considering that she lost both her right arm and her right ear, maybe she should have some additional scarring on that side of her body?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I'd agree with DemonPrincess, right now it looks as though those parts were taken surgically and for no other reason than augmentation... there's no real "story" behind the amputations.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Finally an update on this, like 5 months late.

OrqaSDR.jpg

Zl4tNHG.jpg

A lot of people saw this one, but I thought I'd post it since it's a castoff of this project and should be with the new design. It's a render of one of the early designs for this girl when she was going to be in a dress. I'm going to incorporate the tattoo (hopefully make it look better like a tattoo than a print on the skin), as well.

jHebw3Y.jpg