Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Stargate SG1 Scene

CURRENT UPDATE:

Mzs1aF3.jpg

Stargate SG1.... the show of my childhood... I remember when I would watch every single show on SCI-FI channel when they used to show it. It was a great show and I think is still my favorite to date. I have decided I want to recreate the Stargate SG1 gate room. Here are some of the pictures I have found online to use as reference to get the layout of the room. There are not many pictures of the room but I can piece together different angle shots to get a idea of what the room looks like.

Stargate.JPG

Iris.jpg

AOT28020.jpg

MkNHs.jpg

Replies

• tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nKq9kWv.jpg

C98qtu4.jpg

UDK Ingame shot
    0b1B1dw.jpg

I was able to find the actual Stargate SG1 symbols via google so that helped out tremendously!

Next phase will be to start blocking out the scene, hopefully I can keep this updated at a steady pace as I am currently going to school and have schoolwork to do.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    This looks like a solid start, I don't know if you'd like critique, but I have a few thoughts on it.

It'd help to see the uvs for this to give a good critique/suggestion, but the ring itself looks like the nice sculpting you did is starting to get lost and needs more texel density. Also, making the piece a bit darker, with a bit more spec, and more hue variation would do wonders for the ring.

The glow bits look reasonably accurate, they aren't as detailed as the screenshots, but work overall. If you darkened them down, and toned down the glow a bit could really sell them. They're currently bright with strong glow, which blows out the colors a bit in-game.

Blocking everything out with grey boxes will help quite a bit, good luck with progress!:)
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera I appreciate the critique. I think the problem I am having with the loss of detail is due to the 1024x1024 texture size for the ring. I have the picture of the UVs for the ring at the bottom.

Now for the glow, I am not sure if you are talking about the actual color inside the red things or the glow around it. The foggy glow around the red piece is exaggerated because of the black background. If you were refering to the actual red color, then I will tone it down the next pass over.

Thank you for your crit!

J9LDq5H.png
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    When I made mine (images, here, and here)

I did the gate in nine identical sections reducing the texture space quite a bit I ended up giving it a 2048x2048 sheet but a 1024 wouldn't have looked terrible. Then I did the ring of glyphs entirely separately to the rest of the gate and put the texture for that on its own sheet that was 128 by 4096.

Also, by the looks of things you're sculpting your gate as though it's ancient stone. On the few occasions they do show closeups of the gate it looks more metallic and all the edges look quite crisp.
    Here's a close up of Earth's symbol from the actual gate prop 09.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M: Wow thank you for that image. This whole time I was under the impression that the gate was more stoney then metallic. I was basing that off of the picture at the bottom. Also I really like the way you handled the gate. The problem I was facing was having enough detail in my HP and still being able to export it out to bake onto the LP. If I do it the way you did it then I should be able to get enough detail exported to make it look a lot cleaner then it looks now. Thank you for the critique!

oumQ21w.jpg
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rageleet polycounter lvl 6
    Heyan I love Stargate and all of them haha I'll be following this tomorrow when I'm not drunk at then pub :)
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I started off today with a quick sculpt to try out Y_M's method of doing the ring. I broke up the ring into 8 sections. The back half contains 4 sections and the front half contains another 4. You can see the seam under one of the red dials on the bottom and on the top of the rings. The symbols will be a one piece flat plane that will go over the blank part of the model and that will cover up the seams that are visible. The ring forth sections is using a 512x2048 size texture, so I am able to get more detail while still keeping the size of the texture low.

The texture in the picture just has the normal thrown onto it along with a static value for the diffuse. I will be redoing the sculpt so this is just a test shot to see how it works out.

EDIT: Anyone know how to solve that red line fog glitch at the bottom of the UDK viewport without having to restart UDK?
    WXC7Mbj.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally after spending almost the whole day today learning about how to polypaint better in Zbrush and how to transfer more details onto my low polys, I have come up with this. I am still learning how to use Xnormal properly, I was unable to figure out how to make the letters pop out, but have the darker rings around it indent in.

E3fC7qa.jpg

p3oLJAm.jpg

I don't think I plan on revisting the sculpting aspect of the ring as I am happy with the look of it for now, I want to move on to the actual scene which I won't have time to get to today. I also found that picture below which helped me sculpt out the ring as well. Also want to thank Avanthera and Y_M for giving me some crit that I can work towards!

Hopefully tomorrow I can start blocking out the scene :D

xKtaLTB.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well since UE4 was released to the public... I have this project on hold for a little bit until I can learn all the wonderful new things of this engine! Once I have a grasp of the workflow with the new engine I will continue this project in UE4. I am sorta glad I did not start blocking out in UE3, now I can work with some PBR and other goodies!
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here we go again. Got used to UE4 so now this whole scene will be done in UE4. Hopefully by the end of this project I will get a better understanding of PBR shaders. Here is my ring so far inside the room blockout.

OYYQEF7.jpg

2emQEPg.jpg
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    The holes in the top metal pieces attached to the walls need to be a lot rounder (I'd go with 16 or at least 12 segments).

Also I think the border between the symbols need to be a lot more pronounced as it's kind of hard to see right now.

Lastly it looks like you've got some smoothing problem on the outermost ring. Are you using hard edges on steep angles (say >60 degrees)?

There are a few things that could be fixed, but overall I think it shows great potential.
  • noscope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    yeah there are some issues with your smoothing groups on the ring sort them out and rebake. Your texture could use some love. Look closely at the image that Y_M for material reference. I always wanted to do a stargate scene. go you!
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Looks very oldschool!
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak and noscope:

Thank you for the crit. I fixed the smoothing group issue around the ring as well as redid the texture of the ring to add more detail and contrast for the symbols. I also added more geometry for the holes in the supports so it doesnt look too jagged.

WQ0LKfE.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the current update:

Mzs1aF3.jpg
    4ezmuXG.jpg
    DzobKrS.jpg

Still have a lot of pipeing to do. In the concept pictures there is a lot of pipeing that goes along the walls. Sometimes they just end on the ceiling or on the ground leading to nothing... which is a bit odd.
  • noscope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    Nice! keep it going. I know im thinking ahead but as all the lights are on you will want to get a pretty watery wormhole event horizon thingy going.
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope wrote: »
    Nice! keep it going. I know im thinking ahead but as all the lights are on you will want to get a pretty watery wormhole event horizon thingy going.

Ill add something too the effect near the end. Will be a good time to test out the GUI particles of UE4!