Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Skyfall environment

Hey everyone! I am new to this forum but would love some feedback on an WIP I am working on.

I am trying to recreate the the interrogation scene from the movie Skyfall in UDK with a bit more of a game feel to it.

I know I need to do some more color correction, adjust the lighting and possible mess with some of the materials/texutres. Critique away!

Reference:

ARKzNmo.jpg
Jkqt3RY.jpg
ffZ9sRe.jpg

Wires:

0Q9TWlu.png
HCXQYts.png

UDK Lighting:

UGJUJyB.png
acePTW8.png

UDK Scene:

8c1jMIm.png
cV5SyYx.png
yWUmZLP.png

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Dunno, something looks off. Table looks almost too big compared to the door? Throw a dummy human form in there as a measuring stick. (download one off turbo squid if need be). But the scale seems off or something. Looks nice enough, but the lighting needs that depressing matrix green. Your still in bluish territory.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i agree about the lighting. but in a different sense. to me, the lighting is uninteresting and bland. kills the scene for mood. looks like an average interrogation room that would be used as a kind of prop room thats unimportant and off to the side. It doesn't help that the choice of scene does not look very interesting in the first place. which I think if you change up the lighting, that will be fixed.
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    The bricks in the screenshots are more like tiles almost. Very smooth and reflective, not grungy, and more or less the same color.

I'd tone down the bloom, darken the scene, and work with a PostProcess to adjust the exposure and contrast. And lower the AO. :thumbup:
  • FatalFrost
    Thanks guys for the feedback! It is really helpful.

I adjusted the lighting to give it more contrast and gave it a more green tint but it may be overkill. I do agree that the scene is kinda boring. I don't know what possessed me to pick it in the first place, but now I just want to finish it.

I have been trying to make the material look more like tile but it just hasn't been cooperating with me. I even tried to implement a reflection on it and it failed. I must be doing something wrong. Also, I only see the spec on certain angles, is there a way to change that?

Here is my spec map:

9zKhYAK.jpg

This is what the material looks like before a lighting bake:

zxF0xTM.png

This is after a bake:

h5jM8V7.png

Update:

lgvmefF.png
    JUz41AL.png
    ZeOfM69.png
    TksIiuT.png
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i'm gonna assume it could be your spec power thats causing the spec to only show up in certain angles. but there could be other reasons, such as lighting. To make it more tile like, you'll definitely want to work that idea of reflection, just do a few tests and fix it up. use a light reflection though. Also, i'm seeing some repetition on your floor. to make it more interesting, maybe add a few more props to the table. make the lighting a bit more dramatic maybe, but remember your settings or save it separate.
  • DWalker
    A minor point, but you need to work on the alignment of the bricks. At corners - most notably on the window & doorway - the bricks don't align vertically; there's a noticeable offset.

If you look closely at the corners & around the window, you'll notice that there's a different material - probably plastic of some sort - forming the edging. These strips are solid, with only a 45 degree cut at each corner.

I'm not certain if it's your texture or the size, but the wall size doesn't appear to match the reference. The window, for example, should be 12 bricks tall and 8 bricks above the floor's cement 'curb', while yours are 11 and 6 bricks, respectively. One of the nice things about bricks is they make it easy to verify sizes if you know the size of a brick; one of the nasty things about the bricks is that they make it easier for an observer to notice a difference,,,

The chair back could use some more polygons - it's blocky at the moment. Also, I think the shape is quite different from the actual chairs. I believe they are identical to the blue chair in the following picture:
    banner%20chairs.JPG
  • FatalFrost
    Thanks again guys for the feedback! I have adjusted the lighting and finally got the specularity to work! Again, critiques are always appreciated.

j5ovlee.png
    dkbDgSH.png
  • FatalFrost
    After some tweaking and adjustments I adjusted the lighting more and got the shadows to work more in my favor.

MOeOqZq.png
    xmyo0yZ.png
    EIQ8CBb.png
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Now were talking! Lookin good. I know it's not in the concept, but you need to tell a story now. Maybe you could add a rod in the middle of the table with handcuffs (Reference "The Following" it's on netflix, great show btw)....anyway you could also add file folders and murder scene photos, and coffee ring stains on the table like there was a major interrogation going on? Camera mounted in corner would be cool to.

Careful not to clutter it up too much, but it needs a focal point.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    I think your spec is a little too grainy compared to the last reference shot and I think your original lighting was closer as well. Looking forward to more progress, this is a great scene to practice materials on.