Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fighting Room (UDK)

Update 2/23/14
WIP_PP1_zps05741ad6.jpg
WIP_PP2_zps3514f7cf.jpg

Part of my new years resolution is to get back into doing props/environments because ive been slacking for many many months, Found this sweet concept for a fantasy style fighting room(Dojo) and thought it would be a good first project to get me back into the swing of things.

Very WIP right now, first pass textures, building modular, got it all built in engine now. I have a good idea of where to go with it from here, (Filler props,braziers,drum) all to come, im gunna be constantly tweaking textures and will eventually throw the spikes in, not final on the back wall carving, just a placeholder, not sure I like it right now, Anyways, comments and critiques encouraged! :):thumbup:

3v4y.jpg
i0o0.jpg
m9v1.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    The light in the concept is from the right wall. The outside in the concept is also overly bright, with some serious HDR going on.
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    It's cool, but like DWalker said, the light should come from the right wall. It'd probably look alot better that way.

Another thing is you really need something on the walls, like the spikes in the concept (i would add them tbqh), to help break up the red thats simply everywhere atm.
  • killazzz
    Yep, the spikes alone will break the red up quite a bit, im just playing with the lighting atm but I definitely agree with having a really strong light from the right, I was also thinking about making a simple plane with a bright emmissive behind the wall with lots of bloom, could help sell it alot more. I just used a light in the front to get some sweet light shafts, lol
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with them ^, you need a strong light source.
    and about the spike, they aren't just brake up the red, but they'll make your enviroment look like a place to "fight" ( so was the bronze badge ), not a boring temple.
  • Mr Smo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    nice looking cool, awesome concept i thought of doing at one point aswell!

its from age of conan, an instance called warmonks monestary

lurpakpicture008.png

outside part-
    9a03d3d1-7895-49aa-80f7-ccc1b62e96b8.jpg

good luck :)
  • Jaber
    The door in the concept looks much taller in the concept and the gaps between the 2 floors seem a taller in the concept as well. Good start, looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.
  • killazzz
    @Mr Smo,
    Thanks a bunch for those images!
    I knew it was from age of conan, just hadnt seen an in game shot, and that first one is great! I had no idea what the back wall was going to look like, so that helps alot.

@Jaber
    Yea theres definitely some scale issues, I feel like if when I finalize it a bit more so im not importing more meshes, im just going to scale the whole thing up more, its coming across to compact and not so open/grand when im in a players perspective.
  • killazzz
    Tweaked the lighting, textures and started up some filler props, my first Ddo generated props, quite appealing results but alot to tweak fore sure, not by any means final props. And a lovely Marmoset render, also my first.

o6dp.jpg
    zd1y.png
  • killazzz
    Just a bit more progress, been sick so I took a break for a while there, heres is a small update, added some more trim, the gold reliefs, SPIKES, and getting happier with the lighting, oh and also just got dem Braziers first passed.
    Next on the to do list is The Drum and a few more filler props!
    As always feedback and Critiques wanted...
    ejov.jpg
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    The flag stones could be a bit smaller, they're very large atm, and it throws the scale out a bit.
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Definitely looking better. One thing I could say that currently stands out atm is the stairs, and also how they + the pillars touch the floor. I would add something between all that to give ti a barrier and break it up more easily for transitioning to each area. (eg the pillars could have a square base or something, stairs could have some stuff on the bottom around them).
  • killazzz
    @Walrus, I agree they appear big right now, ill scale the tiling down if they still look big after scaling the whole scene bigger. I have been busy with life stuff in the past couple days, so I plan on getting more work done this weekend!

@Higuys, Thanks man! I completely agree about breaking up the transition from floor to stairs/pillars, maybe some gold/Steel bases or trim to break it up, would you also agree that there should be something to break up the transition of the side pillars?
  • killazzz
    Time for an Update!
    I did quite of bit of changes here, started up a little more of an advanced shader for the gold relief, and pretty happy with the current effect, looks "Goldish" to me. Tweaked the color and specularity of the Braziers to better match the reference. I scaled up the whole scene and I feel like its getting closer to the reference, The flag stones appear more to scale I believe as well because of it, took Higuys advice and made some Stair/Braziers to floor trim pieces to, not happy with the brazier bases, ill propably make em more detailed later on. More finalized on the lighting, toned back the everywhere grunge a bit on the Wood tileable.
    And The Drum has a first pass!
    C&C encouraged!
    js2m.jpg
    18si.jpg
  • killazzz
    Also was curious to know if anyone had any good Tutorials or Tips on how to create an ember-like realtime material effect, as I would like to do some coals/embers for use in the Braziers, I can easily do a smoke Particle effect, just not quite sure how to do the (BurningCoal) effect
  • James Ordner
    Just make a mask with darker and lighter areas (a cloud texture would probably work), scale it way up in UDK's material editor and set up a panner to whatever speed you like. Have it blend between a dark coal texture and a bright orange emissive texture.

I like most of it so far, but the texture on the stairs is really throwing it off. It needs some variation, try turning the grain of the concrete 90 degrees on the flat part of the stairs/maybe give the stairs a lip/etc. There's lots you can do. It's just really not up to the standard of the rest of the scene atm.
  • killazzz
    Good Eye James! Its the one place I havent put alot of effort into currently. Im thinking about straying away from the Refernce in the stairs because it is so boring, maybe i can implement some decorative Gold/Red into it. Ill definitely look into improving it.
    Thanks for the tip on the Coal texture, thats kinda what I had in mind, forgot about panners!
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good ! I agree with James for the stairs, and I think that you really need to cleary need to show the separation of the different steps. Also because it's old, you can make the stairs less flat, like this:
    stone-steps_sugimotodera.jpg

Even if those steps are mare from multiple blocks, each one have been eroded, in this case by water but also by thousands of feet.

Also the wood texture needs some large cracks I think, a bit like this:
    old-cracked-weathered-wood-texture-background-grunge-planks-30573133.jpg

Just make them big enough to be sure that the cracks will be seen from a distance.

Keep up !
  • Mr Smo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    Cool updates, makes me want to play AoC again. I agree with Abrvpt about the stairs and wood!
  • killazzz
    Update! Toned back the gold a bit because some people thought it was a bit much previously, redid the stairs and I think its blending better with the overall scene, improved a bit of my textures, I wasnt really liking the Boar pattern on the back wall ever since I put it there for the first pass, so im liking the new patterns better. Also worked on a quick coal/ember mesh which is getting there, as well as one more filler crate, first passed.
    Im thinking im to the point where its just polishing and adding a couple more assets now, feeling like its time to stray away from the concept a bit now as well. Ill work on getting some wood cracks eventually as Abrvt mentioned.
    As always, comments and critiques encouraged!

ronu.jpg

a6bx.jpg
  • killazzz
    With Post process.
    WIP_PP1_zps05741ad6.jpg
    WIP_PP2_zps3514f7cf.jpg
    Without Post process.
    WIP1_zpsb7793fde.jpg
    Hi Polycounters! Been a while since my last post, ive decided im going to make this a playable level, and big enough to where i can render out a flythrough when i finish it.
    Ive done some basic post process in UDK and am pretty happy with the result, as well as some texture tweaks, particularly in the tileable textures.
    Sadly, im getting a bit bored of this room so ill be moving on to an outside portion, im going to be doing something along the lines of a sand garden (Asian) with a bonsai and some foliage.
    Will be finding reference soon for that.
    Anyways, C&C encouraged!
  • killazzz
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    is looking good, the floor normal map seems a bit soft, increase the intesity so the tiling bumps a bit more, looks a bit flat
  • killazzz
    Calling the lighting on this room done.

WIP_zps2b3cb2e3.jpg

And as I said before, im moving on to starting up a sort of sand garden with some foliage and walls, Running into a complication with the corner of this side right now, which I really need to sort out, because it looks pretty bad currently, also im aware of the light map issue on that right lower wall and I will be correcting that further down the road. All just first pass, I intend on doing a different style wall for the other side of the garden and the back end.

GardenWIP_zps51e5af2f.jpg

Also some of the Reference im thinking as far as layout.

zengarden2.jpg
    unique-zen-garden.jpg
    As always, C&C welcome please!