Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #12 - February

Replies

• Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    That tail, and wings won't work with the stock animations.

Do the wings need to animate?
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Tamarin wrote: »
    Do the wings need to animate?

No, but the stock wing animations are cool, and there are other cool animations with the wings like the idle animations. Wings that are going to be static will be boring. You can use the biplane design, but it would be better if you make it to fit the stock animations, or animate it yourself, instead of leaving it static.
  • QuadWrangler
    heres where i'm at with the sculpt for my gyrocopter bomb - "Warhog"

warhog_zbrush_wip01.jpg

Been a bit of a rush - hopefully onto lowpoly and textures soon!
  • Godzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    I might do the LC hair thingy later on but here's my main sub for this competition:

Concept by Deadman:

7z2Xnv9.png

High Poly:

ibVGxEr.png

Low Poly:

u3RMKE8.png

Some ingame shots (on the texture part i only have some base colors with a little bit of AO and the masks are basically the same thing just renamed):

Jd4D47z.png

The loadout animation doesn't help us much so we might need a replacement for it
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message

warhog_zbrush_wip01.jpg

Maybe put some tnt bundles under the wings or some other type of explosive device to make it more bomb like, regardless love how hes looking
  • Vextrakt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6

warhog_zbrush_wip01.jpg

I gotta agree with past responses that its still going to look strange with stiff dangling limbs. Maybe wrapping him up to restrain them (and even bulge his eyes to give him that "about to explode" look) would have worked better - and even saved tris. Excellent style and sculpt though!
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Almost done and ready to submit.

Preview_001.jpg

So, I'm still having that issue still with the normals in the workshop though. In Max using the latest build of the Dota Shader and in marmoset 2.03 my normals look fine and seem to be in the correct XYZ orientation as everything else. However, when I import in the workshop the Y channel looks reversed.

So, I tried to reverse the Y value and re-import which seemed to solve it UNTIL I switched from loadout view to the daytime and nighttime view which proceeded to flip my normals AGAIN. Once this happens, they do not flip back when changing views. So, either way I flip Y it seems to break inside of the workshop either upon import or when switching views.

Also, it will not flip back and forth when I import them in the "correct" orientation at all. Has anyone dealt with this? Is this just a bug I should ignore or what?
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    If you change that and check in game it usually only works once. You switch to nighttime view and it'll go back to the previous loaded model.
    To make your new one 'stick' you have to restart. Or recompile.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    Warhog sculpt is looking stellar. I wouldn't change a thing.

Here is an update on the gyro wings.
    conceptC.jpg
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Warhog sculpt is looking stellar. I wouldn't change a thing.

Here is an update on the gyro wings.

I would still make this so the wings animate, seriously there is so much character and life in the wings alone. have you also considered other parts of the animations? Like the guns that move up and down, like your guns might clip into the wings, unless you dont want anything to animate
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    I dont see a big problem with having the wings static, but i'm not sure having the wings slide over to the propeller slot is a good idea. This will probably not work well with 80% of the custom made propellers.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou wrote: »
    I dont see a big problem with having the wings static, but i'm not sure having the wings slide over to the propeller slot is a good idea. This will probably not work well with 80% of the custom made propellers.

Yeah static wings would look great here, and you are right on the prop
    WingsInjured.jpg
  • polarbear
    I decided to toss in my hat in the ring as well... here's a wk sword!
    d5dgjMj.jpg
    But I am having a problem with it ingame. It gets ridiculously dark depending on how wk is moving. The problem is that from the standard drop-down view it's so dark most of the time. Does anyone know how to avoid this? (I know he isn't holding the sword properly, I'm fixing it)
    jq45kJK.jpg
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Baddcog wrote: »
    If you change that and check in game it usually only works once. You switch to nighttime view and it'll go back to the previous loaded model.
    To make your new one 'stick' you have to restart. Or recompile.

Awesome. I deleted the temp stuff that had been packed before and that fixed it. Thank you so much!:):thumbup:
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Submitted!

Pauldron of the Eternal King

EternalKingShoulder_icon.jpg
  • polarbear
    polarbear wrote: »
    But I am having a problem with it ingame. It gets ridiculously dark depending on how wk is moving. The problem is that from the standard drop-down view it's so dark most of the time. Does anyone know how to avoid this?
    fixed it... I accidentally replaced my normal map with the color map...
    very pro, much knows-what-hes-doing, wow
    dQypyM9.jpg
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    kite212 wrote: »
    Yeah static wings would look great here, and you are right on the prop
    WingsInjured.jpg

It's not a game breaker. It's a design choice that fits with certain wing designs. Like big metal wings. I think you are making a big problem out of something minor.
  • cagdasx44
    Great work everyone.
    Maybe it is too early too talk will we make the next months competition for the workshop newbies (naix, puck, venge)?
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou wrote: »
    It's not a game breaker. It's a design choice that fits with certain wing designs. Like big metal wings. I think you are making a big problem out of something minor.

All I am saying is items should match the personality of the character, and Gyro's wings give him a lot of that personality. You want to take that away go for it
  • Godzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    Draugar's Bane
    by Deadman and Godzy and with Shock's help on the promo

668CE3D62509986E5971D0344C26B55A567ED434
  • FlashL
    In game & working, just working on promo images today.

n5m7.jpg
  • QuadWrangler
    kite212 wrote: »
    Maybe put some tnt bundles under the wings or some other type of explosive device to make it more bomb like, regardless love how hes looking
    Vextrakt wrote: »
    I gotta agree with past responses that its still going to look strange with stiff dangling limbs. Maybe wrapping him up to restrain them (and even bulge his eyes to give him that "about to explode" look) would have worked better - and even saved tris. Excellent style and sculpt though!
    Warhog sculpt is looking stellar. I wouldn't change a thing

thanks everyone for the feedback!
    after a hell of struggle managed to get him in budget AND with rocket/explosive attachments
    Should hopefully help him look more "BOOM"!

warhog_game-wip01.jpg
  • FlashL
    Wraith-Edge of The Dominator by Flash

ygs1.jpg

Thanks guys, this was really fun, despite not really gaining much notice - but I learned quite a lot from other peoples work. My first submission!

[edit] edited title, because there was some confusion with people expecting to see an in game Ethereal Blade despite the fact such a weapon on Wraith King would make no sense, lol.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    FlashL wrote: »
    Ethereal Edge of The Dominator by Flash

Thanks guys, this was really fun, despite not really gaining much notice - but I learned quite a lot from other peoples work. My first submission!

Turned out nice :thumbup:
    after a hell of struggle managed to get him in budget AND with rocket/explosive attachments

Yeah I think this helps make it fell more like a weapon now :thumbup:
  • RunForest
    Just an update, low poly model, UV layout and a couple ingame screenshots to get better feeling. Now working with custom animation, and textures so uptade is coming. The only thing i cant understand how to test weapon animation ingame, or there no any legal way to do this?)

LLfxl9u.jpg
    EpEU8BR.jpg
    DKtS0Va.jpg
    DMqQO7i.jpg
  • RunForest
    I think bottom jaw must work in animation, wery big and emotional part..

warhog_game-wip01.jpg
  • Joker_47
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    So here is my item

Flying Comrade by Joker_47/Ozzymandias

200x200.resizedimage
  • Pierate
    Offline / Send Message
    Pierate polycounter lvl 15
    @QuadWrangler: I love it, looking forward to seeing it textured.

SculptWip02.jpg

Done with the sculpting I think.
  • QuadWrangler
    Pierate wrote: »
    @QuadWrangler: I love it, looking forward to seeing it textured.

..thanks! heres where i've got to so far - still a bit to do but hopefully the difficult stuff is out of the way now!

warhog_game-wip02.jpg
  • WipEout
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Man, you guys are rockin' it!

I, on the other hand, may not finish in time :( Was having a hard time being motivated in my spare time, but now I have some other side projects that are going to cut into my time. Which isn't a bad thing altogether, as I was planning on making a set out of this eventually, anyway, and the contest doesn't allow for that. Still, here's where I got so far (still tweaking normals for better... normals). base maps baked out of Maya & Xnormal, texturing done in Substance Designer (it's a learning experience! :D )

LCWingsWIP03.JPG

Still needs masks and tweaks to the tangent normal maps. Also dirt. Needs to look dirtier/bloodier :D
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So I whipped out some quick concepts this weekend but I don't know if I'll realistically be able to pop any of these out in the next few days. Any favorites out of the lineup?

Legionnaire_Concepts_001.jpg
  • Reyne
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
  • FlashL
    I agree, 11 is pretty cool.
  • RunForest
    11 looks too simmilar to one presented in the game..try to improve 12, stone will shine in portret view every body like)
  • Joker_47
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    QuadWrangler
    Looking good

WipEou
    Well if you'll concentrate only on your item (atleast for few days) you probably will make it before the end of the challenge, best of luck anyway

praetus
    8 and 11 :)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys!

i saw great progress on the last week comments

we should start thinking on the next month contest. My suggestion is to keep the style and use the new heroes that Valve added to the workshop

what oyu guys think?
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Hey guys!

we should start thinking on the next month contest. My suggestion is to keep the style and use the new heroes that Valve added to the workshop

what oyu guys think?

Maybe it's better to have a thread for it so it gets more visible and it'll be easier to brainstorm...
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    Hey guys!

what oyu guys think?

I agree. I think that going for a similar style, using the most recent heroes released on the workshop, like Vengeful Spirit, Lifestealer, Elder Titan and Puck would be a pretty great idea.
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    before we talk about the february challenge, was the december challenge again lost :) ?
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    It bums me out to constantly just flood the brand new characters with stuff each month but I guess everyone is going to do that anyway. I can't wait to come up with somethin for Puck.
  • bounchfx
    I think we should absolutely use the newest 4. It makes the most sense, to me.
  • FlashL
    I'm fairly keen to make stuff for vengeful spirit, lets use the new 4!
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    People are going to be making stuff for the new heroes regardless, so why not pick something else to add some variety?
  • Godzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah, most of us are already working on stuff for those guys
  • bounchfx
    People are going to be making stuff for the new heroes regardless, so why not pick something else to add some variety?

I personally think embracing the new heroes will give them a nice infusion of submissions as well as most likely lead to more participation here. Obviously we want peoples input to make sure this is something they're interested in.
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    That's a good point, leaning into what people are already working on would definitely result in way more submissions. Should there be a modifier on this month at all?
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I personally think embracing the new heroes will give them a nice infusion of submissions as well as most likely lead to more participation here. Obviously we want peoples input to make sure this is something they're interested in.

Yup! I'm all for picking some different and unusual themes, but I believe that this month's competition was one of the biggest I've ever seen, since the heroes just got into the workshop and people were already planning on making items for them, so I guess that we either have lots of submissions by going with the new heroes or fewer by picking something more unusual.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Gonna call my entry done.
    Wraith's Spine Hacker by Voodoo (aka Baddcog)

200x200.resizedimage
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=231921520
    Constant battle is Hell on weapons. Wraith King dug deep into his stash and pulled out this old favorite, his Spine Hacker. Realizing that bones are only temporary he has accepted the fact that this blade itself will perish, and where better than on the battlefield.

637x358.resizedimage
  • FlashL
    @badcog looks nice! My only criticism would be the top of the golden handle - I feel that if the handle were to be that 'rich' that it would be gilded or crafted into a piece more attractive. The form of the handle reads as if it should be stone, but because it's shaded golden, it has the appearance of raw gold. But maybe that's the direction you were going. Either way, really cool weapon!
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Bake and lods, and first texture version..done! Damn...lod1 is a very unfair thing on my life!
    Now, Magno's magic turn :)

79vsJ.png