Home Dota 2

Dota 2 Monthly Community Competition #12 - February

Replies

• Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    The Axe is ingame now. Special thanks to Motenai's Cavity Action file for PS. That thing works magic.

keOr0kv.jpg
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    @Vayne - It looks really cool! Only thing is I can't help but feel like it looks waaay too heavy for her. Does it look natural when she swings it to attack?

Edit: I guess the only thing that might look weird is late game when she attacks super fast... Could look fine though, just need to see it in motion.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    @darkkyo: I understand your concern. Keep in mind that Sven at late game also swings his uber swords so fast too. Added, she is Legion Commander. She can handle it. Non technical justifications aside, we have other plans to address that.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Any suggestions before I submit?

kreq8.jpg
  • Vextrakt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    Reza wrote: »
    Any suggestions before I submit?

kreq8.jpg

Your normal or masks are messed up... you have almost no highlights on the weapon, or its super weak. Compare your weapon to her armor.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks, that's true
    I tweaked the masks and texture but I think the normals are fine :)
    P.S. Somewhere I read that shadow blade is out of stone not metal, that's why it's not really reflective.

2z4wcgy.jpg

2s67jg6.jpg
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Guys I'm getting a very weird error
    just 2-3 seconds of the beginning of the game the blade is on the ground :(
    I placed my low poly exactly where the default blade is positioned...

3dd1s.jpg
  • Reyne
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    That happens for every character and every weapon. It's fine :D
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Trying to improve so why not start at the beginning, by painting a concept. Probably my first.

(my scale is a little off, mainly the handle is too big, but I can take care of that in 3d)

Could use crits:Voodoo_Wraith_sword_concept%20copy.jpg

any crits on the weapon?
  • Ben.HCT
    Recently, I looked into other types of polearm weapons, and what caught my eye in particular was a variation called the Morning Star, a type of mace used to pierce armour in combat. So I had a mess around in 3DS Max to come up with a design that could be used by LC, keeping in mind the dimensions of the default weapon.

This is what I have so far:

6PJr6_zpsd94d7d2a.jpg

I think I'm going to be putting my focus into developing this idea for a while. Once I'm happy with the base mesh I'll be able to sculpt in some other details - mostly battle damage, but some surface work along the pole could prove beneficial.
  • cagdasx44
    This is where I went with my LC weapon. I think this is my best work by far. This ia only the color map I am triying to learn about cavity and other maps as well as learn how to merge them into an awesomeness. I still need to do lod1 by hand.
    Feel free to feedback.
    oVmgG5s.jpg
    7jWcOuZ.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    this is the edge I said you should bevel.
    cag.jpg

Would give you some nice highlights
  • Kraken
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    Here is high-poly for gyro bomb. My cooperation with multitud3.
    QbnWLWR.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpt progress on my WK sword
    wk_sword_sculpt.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    motenai wrote: »
    Just finished texturing this...this is only the color map

V6DyVCI.png

the dark blade is looking really nice, it helps counter a little the size of the weapon and make it more fitable (in my opinion) to the character, great work till now
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    The Axe is ingame now. Special thanks to Motenai's Cavity Action file for PS. That thing works magic.

what is that cavity action?? =]
    any crits on the weapon?

i would suggest to no go for bones anymore, there is a possible problem with chinese marked and he is not skeleton king anymore, he is wraith king!, you could keep the sillhouete but change the bones to other things, maybe gems or metal pieces..

----

i kept the work on the relic sword. its almost done i think
    any suggestions?
    D9rrG9w.jpg
  • WipEout
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Figured I'd try my hand at some Dota2 stuff. This is my first attempt at this, so I figure one item shouldn't be complicated. Plus contests are always good motivators! :D

It looks like LC's banners aren't getting much love, so I'll try my hand at that.

Any favorites/suggestions?

LCBannerConcepts.png

I think angelic valkyrie is my inspiration...

Otherwise, I initially thought I'd make a weapon for Wraith King, but that seems to be the most popular choice (not that that's a bad thing, just not my thing). Maybe if I get LC's banners done in time I'll try to get my ideas for WK's sword down further.

WKSwords.jpg

C&C always welcome & appreciated!
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah well, thanks for the crit, but now that I'm basically done I'm gonna see it through to the end.
  • WipEout
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    any suggestions?
    D9rrG9w.jpg

I suggest you quit being a badass-- you're making me feel bad about myself :D

Seriously, though, that's a rad sword! My only suggestion would be to try to adjust the colors of the physical part of the sword, as the hilt, grip, and broken blade feel a little too similar in color. Maybe slightly darken the center of the blade and give the handle a darker leather wrap? Otherwise I got nothin'.
  • WipEout
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah well, thanks for the crit, but now that I'm basically done I'm gonna see it through to the end.

I get the concern about the Chinese market, but to be fair, WK's stock sword has a spine running up the center of the blade as well...
  • cagdasx44
    this is the edge I said you should bevel.
    cag.jpg

Would give you some nice highlights

I dont think I can do that, my tris is on limit.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    If you do it to your high poly you can bake that to your low
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    @Tvidotto My only suggestion for your Relic would be maybe to make it more gold/yellow to match the armor of Wright more. Now it looks a little bit like it would be made out of copper metal. Other than that it looks really bad ass!!
  • Rowinish
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    Almost done with this concept. Can't decide which of these designs are more successful.
    Feedback would be great!
    12419108063_4996c17125_o.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    the dark blade is looking really nice, it helps counter a little the size of the weapon and make it more fitable (in my opinion) to the character, great work till now

i would suggest to no go for bones anymore, there is a possible problem with chinese marked and he is not skeleton king anymore, he is wraith king!, you could keep the sillhouete but change the bones to other things, maybe gems or metal pieces..

----

any suggestions?
    D9rrG9w.jpg

I suggest you change the particle outline to a more particle volume like blade, so it doesnt look like something is supposed to be there, but rather, something really is there.. its just glowing.
  • MagnoHusein
    any crits on the weapon?

Like Tvidotto said, there's no reason to do a bone sword. First of all, China Store, second, check WK lore, he gave up from bones because it perishes so he went to an energy form (wraith/ghost) which makes more sense if you are speaking of immortality.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Like Tvidotto said, there's no reason to do a bone sword. First of all, China Store, second, check WK lore, he gave up from bones because it perishes so he went to an energy form (wraith/ghost) which makes more sense if you are speaking of immortality.

I think that a nod for good old Skeleton King is definitely not bad, especially since most of WK's stuff actually have bones as nods to SK, however, I do agree on the Chinese market point, specially because the bones are not as stylized as the ones on his current items. Here's a link to his current equipment for reference: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Template:Equipment_Wraith_King
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    Rowinish wrote: »
    Almost done with this concept. Can't decide which of these designs are more successful.
    Feedback would be great!
    12419108063_4996c17125_o.jpg
    I'm not sold on the frontal view, the silhouette breaks from the shape language he has (and the gold in that shape looks a bit like marilyn monroe hair). I like first sideview a lot though!
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Woo! Finally came up with I design I like. I didn't finish colouring it because I wanna get to modeling asap
    sword_for_wraith_knight_by_julionicoletti-d75tg3o.png
  • Oroboros
    Finally got around to doing a WK sword for the comp!

Ucay1Gu.jpg
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Concept by SLIMEface:
    o8Hj2aR.jpg

My LoD0 model in Max:

KQZxYGq.jpg

Here is my sculpt:

42FLzgn.jpg

And... the final product:

Ballistic Goggles by Prophet9 and SLIMEFace

200x200.resizedimage
    My entry into this months comp. :)

Cheers all!
  • FlashL
    Started modelling, increased the size of the horns so they read better.

wcl9.jpg

& a quick paint over for damage detail

gmc9.jpg
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Oroboros wrote: »

Ucay1Gu.jpg

That is one sexy sword :thumbup:
  • Reyne
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    There is some great work happening here.

You are all making me cry

:P

Here is what I have so far....

2hB2P7O.jpg?1
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message

----

any suggestions?

It is basically similar to what you would get when you use a normal map and bake a cavity map from it within nDo. This cavity map is much more subtle that the one you bake in XNormal. The tool linked by Motenai (link in here and also in Motenai's thread) does a better job since it also generates a very subtle highlight map with it too. The result, imo, is far superior to what I have seen yet.

Regarding the particles. Is it enabled for WK, or did you do a custom one yourself? If the latter, can you explain how you went about doing it?
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    @darkkyo: I understand your concern. Keep in mind that Sven at late game also swings his uber swords so fast too. Added, she is Legion Commander. She can handle it. Non technical justifications aside, we have other plans to address that.

Sweet! Can't wait to see it with color!!
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    I think that a nod for good old Skeleton King is definitely not bad, especially since most of WK's stuff actually have bones as nods to SK, however, I do agree on the Chinese market point, specially because the bones are not as stylized as the ones on his current items. Here's a link to his current equipment for reference: http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Template:Equipment_Wraith_King

Ok, I should have read/understood the lore better. I had read about gore/Chinese market but don't feel bones are gory so didn't think that would have even been an issue. (I assumed maybe Valve removed SK because of the SK in Diablo3 being similar)

I also understand the point of the other stylized bones. I just imported his base weapon, looked at it and came up with a concept. And as usual jumped in fast. (thnx for the link btw, I hadn't found that before)

Still, I am wrapping this up. For me it's more about practice and learning than it is to win the competition/get this item in the store. Maybe next month I will pay more attention. I still feel that even though it may have been a bad design choice it still fits the character due to existing items.
    I have done very little sculpting before, this is probably the most I have done to date.

That being said, I would love some crits on the actual model/sculpting/concept as all I have heard so far is my concept background lighting is off (not really anything to do with the concept though I will consider that in the future) and the Chinese/bone thing :D

(I do want to work on the hand guard a tad more still)

Current state:
    wk_sword.jpg
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    Oroboros wrote: »

Ucay1Gu.jpg

Man this sword will really hurt. My head just hurt only by looking at it. Ouch!
    Awesome idea
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Hey WipEout, I was already doing something similar to your #2 sword.
    fQ5Jryq.png
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    I'm getting ready to submit it :)
    Any more suggestions?

r0v48y.jpg
  • FlashL
    High poly progress~

miqh.jpg
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys , I'll be joing in on the wraith king with a sword fit for a king:) (made a quick sketch whly on break at work , so no shading for this one :) )

290wwuq.jpg
  • Rocket_Science
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
    Feedback appreciated

X3Cs8wvwvtY.jpg

OR

KciFH19ikDk.jpg
  • cagdasx44
    I liked the bottom one but you can do it as versions.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @Rocket_Science

I like the second one more. The first one looks too heavy, unbalanced and awkward to hold. Doesn't look like a weapon she would be able to use to attack, but instead just throw on her enemies due to its enormous size, haha.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    FlashL, so bled out I can barely see anything but white.

mihalceanu, nice concept.

Rocket Science, the bottom is definitely better, but the shapoe of the back looks like it's missing something, maybe you could shrink that other piece way down and still keep it in there.Connection to the blade is now weird too.
  • WipEout
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical wrote: »
    Hey WipEout, I was already doing something similar to your #2 sword.
    fQ5Jryq.png

Ha! No worries, yours looks far better than what I was planning for my #2 anyway! :D

If/when I do go for WK's sword, I'm thinking something more along the lines of my 4, 5 or 7 designs-- I'm digging the hook-style sword right now!

Nice work on your concept!!
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    A simple weapon concept for LC, in collab with ultimatec on this one, great works everyone :D

lCHSsyY.jpg
  • Andumy
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    WipEout wrote: »
    Ha! No worries, yours looks far better than what I was planning for my #2 anyway! :D

If/when I do go for WK's sword, I'm thinking something more along the lines of my 4, 5 or 7 designs-- I'm digging the hook-style sword right now!

Nice work on your concept!!

Thanks, I'd say, combine both 6 and 7?
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    normal done
    wk_sword_norm.jpg

lod0 at 600 tris