Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CryEngine3 - Sci Fi Project

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
Finally I can start this Project :) !!

I'm trying to use Ndo2 as much as possible on this one, and since the BIG update is creeping closer it will be even more fun. :thumbup:

The concept will be a guide. But since there isn't all to much hardsurface detail I will use other reference as well, to achieve what I want.

The concept was created by Aaron Foster

I already blocked out most of the interior, will be posting that later.

So, here is the floor.

floor_zpsa895fe0d.png

floor_2_zps786ab3a7.png

Replies

• Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to design your floors with a sense of meaning. Why are there all those small and weird shaped panels on them? Try to not just throw random shapes there without giving them a purpose because they come become noise and loose interest.

I think that was one of the biggest things i learnt when learning to be a environment artist. Your environments will look and feel better if you look at each object and its purpose. Try using larger floor panels and making some designed to be lifted up to access stuff beneath, and put lights on railings or symmetrically on the floor instead of on every panel.

Other then that, i like the metal texture you have going, but again make sure the rest of the environment fits that dirty feel you have portrayed on the floor :)
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try to design your floors with a sense of meaning. Why are there all those small and weird shaped panels on them? Try to not just throw random shapes there without giving them a purpose because they come become noise and loose interest.

I think that was one of the biggest things i learnt when learning to be a environment artist. Your environments will look and feel better if you look at each object and its purpose. Try using larger floor panels and making some designed to be lifted up to access stuff beneath, and put lights on railings or symmetrically on the floor instead of on every panel.

Other then that, i like the metal texture you have going, but again make sure the rest of the environment fits that dirty feel you have portrayed on the floor :)

Thanx for the constructive critique :)

I redid the entire floor. I also have 3 unique parts of the floor, so there will be 2 more to go. :)
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    The floor was looking really cool originally. It would be nice to see it in the scene to see how it looks. Get a screenie of the scene as soon as you can even if it's rough and remember about lighting!
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the scene with a basic lighting setup (still learning CE3)

I'm not to happy with the floor yet. I probably will tweak the spec and gloss a little bit more. The POM needs some tweaking also.

critique welcome