Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Karken Concepts

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ZamM90 polycounter lvl 5
Hey Guys i knocked out a few concept sculpts and tried rendering in ZBrush for the first time properly.

If anyone has soem crit that would be awesome! :)

075_large.jpg

512_large.jpg

Replies

• Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    I think its looks a little to hard edged in places for it to be an underwater creature. It also looks very dry. But other than that, you have an awesome piece right their :D
  • Sinking
    Did you watch that movie where they fly to the icemoon called Europa? I don't remember the name, but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw your creature. It's a cool alien. I wonder what it looks like with the mouth closed.

Only thing I dislike is the DOF, which I presume is a ZBrush render feature? It looks much better if you mask it in Photoshop and apply a lens blur using the layer mask.
  • arcitecht
    Offline / Send Message
    arcitecht polycounter lvl 6
    This is really cool, I've always had a thing for giant sea monsters. What material or matcap did you use for the renders?
  • dschmidt3d
    Offline / Send Message
    dschmidt3d polycounter lvl 6
    I think it could use some different shades of color. Cause for me it looks to purpley. Maybe some shades of blue and pink could add some flavor. Also it would look cool if it some variations in it and not be symmetrical on both sides.
  • ZamM90
    Offline / Send Message
    ZamM90 polycounter lvl 5
    Thabsks guys, i was goign for some kind of shelled armour like things on the top of the creature, but it could be tweaked. Yes ui thought it looked a little dry I wasn't sure how to get a good wet spec on it, i could have duplicate the material and upped the spec i guess and painted it on for goo d highlights?

@Sinking - thanks man no i haven't but i'll have a search for it. I kind of thought the mouth closed would be like a squid in that dart shape, but i might try and visit that idea next ;)

@arcitecht - thanks dude me too! ;) its a modified matcap from zBro, with a negative temperature SSS and different lightcaps per angle.
  • ZamM90
    Offline / Send Message
    ZamM90 polycounter lvl 5
    @dschmidt3d - thanks bud yes i agree, still in the clay rendered look atm just wanted to get some feeling out there if anyone had any other suggestions before i uv'd and texture it :) i like the idea of some flavour in there so ill give it a go and post ;)

And yes i think your right i need to break up the symmetry a bit more :)