Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fable 2 - Tavern - UDK [ArtOfKee]

Hey guys!

I actually haven't finished my Game of Thrones, Kraken Fireplace scene but we've been given another assignment! We either do a character or an environment. There's more to the brief but anyway...

I decided to do an environment, even though I aspire to be a character artist, simply because I know I won't do well in characters just yet. I've only started proper games art stuff around May and I was advised that it's easier to start off with environment then gradually move on to character.

Enough of my life story. I've decided to model from a concept for Fable 2 (Tavern). I was told "Leading Light" did the concepts for Fable 2, so I guess this one comes from Leading Light? Correct me if I am mistaken. So basically I did the block outs first. My first time doing proper block out. I just realised how much thought you need to put into something before you create it.

I hope I can do this concept justice. Any feedback is very much appreciated!

1hdrkHZ.jpg

Replies

• artofkee
    UPDATE!

So I did my blockout and here it is so far. Not much progress since my corner scene is due soon. Also, my wrist is slightly injured. But I'll get there! I'm actually excited for this scene and also excited to finish the corner scene. (:

ztRNtfW.jpg
  • silver_hoodlum
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    nice choice, looking forward to the modular texture of it.
  • JustGarry
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    Looking at your blockout it's a decent start, I would flare out the roof even more though, to get a more stylised look like in the concept, and also the building walls are too flat whereas the stylised concept art is more curved.
  • artofkee
    Thanks guys~ and @JustGarry, yeah I'll modify it a bit. Thanks for the feedback (:
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    I think its a good start, keep it up, i would agreee with silver_hoodlum,
    also the top of the roof is flat, and it should be curved a bit :)
    looking forward to seeing the more!
  • artofkee
    @cglewis thanks for taking your time to look at my work! (: and yeah, working on that (: thanks (((:
  • artofkee
    Just a tiny update. Still really busy with my Game of thrones corner scene. As a result, this project is suffering a tiny bit. But not too much since I get pretty sick of lighting way too quickly. It’s just the most difficult thing ever (for me anyway). Maybe it’ll warm up to me eventually...

Anyway, I did a few more modeling. Not much done. I just roughly placed the objects in the scene and imported it into UDK. I don’t know what the random lines and dots are. Probably the lack of light maps. Anyway, it’s just a really rough block out for now. I hope in the next post I’ll be able to show some lovin’ for this piece. (:

P.S. I still need to make it a bit more stylised and more like the concept. I'll bend some stuff here and there, i.e. the roof. I haven't ignored the suggestions. Just working on it. (:

HF9sRjT.jpg
  • artofkee
    Long time no update!! Merry Christmas to all!

Anyway, here's an update of texturing:

sEYQImA.jpg

I'm quite behind and still have so much to texture.
    I also changed the handle from the concept since I couldn't really understand what's going on in the concept. Changed many things too. I'll try to update as often as I can.
  • artofkee
    I still have a billion things to do. But here it is so far. I have some planks missing and some tileable and some tweaking with some mesh. And of course... lighting...

s15cCAu.jpg
  • artofkee
    Just an update!!

Tweaked some of the textures. Still more to go! Then adding some decals to break up the tiling of the bricks and to give some love to the second floor. I still have to do the ground so it's all pretty and stuff DX So much to do so little time!!!

P.S. Had no idea what happened to the quality...
    F39gKsk.jpg
  • artofkee
    Moved on to lighting and it's going okay so far. Taking a break to fix those straight edge walls and will add some bricks sticking out. The grass and rock is a UDK stock since the brief only requires the house. The floor is just to help sell it a little bit. I will also do a morning lighting so textures can be presented better. I just thought night lighting would give a more sweet effect to it.

qNXz3oI.jpg
  • oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    its looking really nice so far, but if you look just beneath the clock, the brick texture isn't tiling correctly. Its not noticeable with the night time lighting but defiantly is in the daytime lighting.
  • mark williams
    Offline / Send Message
    mark williams polycounter lvl 5
    Nice job.
    I worked on Fable 2 and you've done a good job here.
    As mentioned the walls are a bit too straight, most forms on fable tended to bow in a little at the centre, as if they were being squeezed. With most shapes being exaggerated and chunky. But the overall characteristics of the piece are very Fable -esque. Plus it's in UDK which is better than the engine we had at the time :)
  • artofkee
    Thanks for the advice!

I've attempted to fix the tiling problem, I hope it's fine now. DX But if it's not, I'll look into fixing this during the summer when I have more time. (:

I've made the walls tilted but I guess I didn't do it well enough. It was hard to align the objects with a c shaped wall so I stuck to a tilted one ;/ I'll try again for the next Fable house I'll make! (((: Thank you for the crit!

I'm calling this piece finished now. Deadline is tomorrow. I spent all day today and yesterday rendering and editing. I'm happy with the general outcome. I'm so scared to post it but here it is. Any more advice and crits are welcome. Something I could fix over the summer and something I could keep in mind for my next projects!

Visit my blog for some more info: artofkee.blogspot.com

Night light:
    6PrpWCN.jpg

Morning light:
    LA3CZNh.jpg

[vv]83972959[/vv]