Home Technical Talk

Zbrush, No Depth Information With Grabdoc

So I found two other threads on this same subject but neither had an answer to this issue. I've been trying for the life of me to figure it out for the past while, but I've had no luck.

In my Doc I have two tools that i've placed and put about to create a tiled stone floor texture. Each block does have height variance over another, but for some reason the grab doc and MRGBz grabber both refuse to get a height map. Instead the alpha turns up pure white and black.

JR0crq.jpg
KDcQx8.jpg

Any one have any ideas?

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Tried pressing Bake on your layer?

When you say grab doc do you mean grab doc and depth?

Tried exporting as different file formats perhaps?
  • Surfur
    Bek wrote: »
    Tried pressing Bake on your layer?

When you say grab doc do you mean grab doc and depth?

Tried exporting as different file formats perhaps?

Tried baking the layers, no difference

I did both alpha grab doc and MRGBZ and neither give me the height information

I did the exporting as well, to PSD, TGA. Didn't work either

Damn...maybe I need to start over.
  • RexM
    Try increasing the Z intensity to 100 and set it to MRGB instead of just RGB and try to grabdoc after that.

If that doesn't work, use Zapplink and then go into the alpha channel, heightmap should be there.
  • Surfur
    RexM wrote: »
    Try increasing the Z intensity to 100 and set it to MRGB instead of just RGB and try to grabdoc after that.

If that doesn't work, use Zapplink and then go into the alpha channel, heightmap should be there.

Didn't work either. I did make a new document and started over. with every brick I added I did another grabdoc to make sure it kept the height information. I did the same process as the first one, but this time It didn't mess up. I don't know what caused it.
  • yurid9
    Offline / Send Message
    yurid9 polycounter lvl 10
    Did you solve it? I had the same problem and got pretty annoying. I finally figured out the problem. When you don't use a plane as a base, the tools you drop on the canvas are at a height which the Zbrush depth grab can't process. So before you start, drop a plane and if you want a grid, apply the grid texture on the plane and then start adding your tiles.

Hope this helps.
  • EagleTopGaming
    Had the same problem and figured out how to fix it without starting over.

The reason it is white is because there the small black sections are the canvas, which is essentially infinite depth. this leads no middle ground to display your depth detail. So is draw mode, drop in a plane on top of everything, ,scale it to cover everything, switch to move. then use the " ` " (tilde) key while holding and dragging your moues up to push it behind your layers. Grab doc should then display your depth info.