Home General Discussion

Next GEN RTS engine (AMD mantle demo)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
artquest polycounter lvl 13
Hi all, I just wanted to share a bit about a project I had the opportunity to work on recently. It's been really great and now that it's gone public I can finally talk a bit about it. :)

Our team was very small and we wanted to polish more then we got to but overall it was a really great experience. I was responsible for modeling and texturing for 3 of the 6 ships. A lot went into getting this ready so credit goes out to the whole team for everything.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QIWyf8Hyjbg"]Oxide Games AMD Mantle Presentation and Demo - YouTube[/ame]

You can skip forward to about 26 minutes in to see the game in action if you aren't into the tech stuff. :)

Replies

• ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's kind of cool that mantle can help you reduce CPU overhead when batching a ton of meshes, but I do have to ask how practical that application is when AMD CPUs have 1/4 market share (that has been consistently declining for months) and a significant number of those do not support Mantle?
  • genwu
    Offline / Send Message
    genwu polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome man congrats! & nice work!
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    that looks fun, like a homeworld sequel on steriods haha
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    ambershee wrote: »
    It's kind of cool that mantle can help you reduce CPU overhead when batching a ton of meshes, but I do have to ask how practical that application is when AMD CPUs have 1/4 market share (that has been consistently declining for months) and a significant number of those do not support Mantle?

From what I understand mantle only requires an AMD GPU and not a CPU. It's mostly about developer support after that I think. Also this demo runs great on my nvidia gtx 680 as it is. But it starts to chug a bit on the stress test (which constantly spawns units every second for as long as you let it run) while with mantle it stays buttery smooth for a lot longer.