Home Technical Talk

[Maya] dDo Material Manager v2

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
A few months back I posted a thread featuring the Material List plugin which is currently bundled with dDo. That old version is quite buggy and far from satisfactory. I've made sweeping changes to the tool and am re-releasing it as the dDo Material Manager! (Thanks to passerby and Froyok for coding assistance!) I have polished up this plugin to be more efficient and improved the ease of use.

ddo.png

-- February 3 2014 -- Version 2.7.5

1) Fixed the misleading destination path in step 3 of the Installation Instructions.
2) Clicking on a material name now updates textures!
3) Added a Sort Z-A sorting method.
4) Fixed an issue where deleting a selected material (regular and multi mode) would prevent the Material List from updating.
5) Fixed an issue where assigning Quick Materials didn't work on more than one object.
6) Fixed an issue where deleting a material resulted in the loss of the current selection.

-- January 6 2014 -- Version 2.7.3

1) Assigning a hotkey for "dDo Manager" using the menu option will now function as an open/close toggle. Press once to open; press again to close.
2) Add Materials tab now properly updates when deleting a preset from Material List and immediately switching to Add Materials.
3) Material List tab should no longer break if there are identically named shape objects (under separate hierarchies).
4) If attempting to use the Assign/Delete Material Channels to assign a channel which is already occupied, the material will be displayed along with a warning instead of just warning about a full channel, if possible.
5) Increased the minimum window height slightly.

-- December 4 2013 -- Version 2.7.1

1) Deleting materials from the Material List tab and creating materials from the Add Materials tab no longer causes the scroll position to reset
2) Selecting mesh components (vertex, edge, face) will now update Material List indicators for the parent shape.
3) Creating and assigning material presets is now faster and more similar to applying existing materials from the Material List tab.
4) The Detach Alpha button (adjacent to the Delete Transparency Channel button) should now work when a single material is in question.
5) Assigning a material now updates the Material List indicators.
6) Warning messages for nonexistent or already-empty channels have been disabled. Warnings for occupied channels still enabled.
7) The update button which redirects to my Website now takes you to the appropriate page.
8) Changed some initialization code around; if you happened to bind a hotkey using Tools > Assign Hotkey: dDo Manager, please re-bind your hotkey to avoid any issues related to the changes.
9) Using the Cleanup tools will now also update the preset list if you have that tab selected.

-- October 27 2013 -- Version 2.6.1

1) The window can now scale vertically to whatever side you would like
2) Fixed an issue where reloading the screen caused your selection to clear
3) Cleaned up the code a bit (but it's still probably messy)
4) Added a help menu option explaining the Add Materials tab
5) Redesigned how the Add Materials presets list
6) The Del All button under Assign/Delete Material Channels button no longer deletes the material from the scene
7) Adding or deleting a diffuse map to a material will automatically refresh the material listing

-- October 21 2013 -- Version 2.5.2

After much testing, some elements were decided to be inefficiently positioned or superfluous.
1) Layout reduced to two tabs.
2) Selecting an object now automatically detects and updates material indicators without having to redraw the window.
3) Several selection errors have been fixed.
4) Global values for color, spec, cosine power, etc. no longer attempt to reinitialize.
5) Quick Materials and Assign/Delete Material Channels tools have been moved to the bottom of the first tab.
6) Added a button next to the Delete Transparency button which disconnects alpha channels from a material's diffuse channel which may have inadvertently or undesirably loaded as a transparency channel.
7) The Select and Delete buttons for Multi Select Mode have been relocated to the lambert1 line in order to free up UI real estate
8) Ramp Shaders, Fluid Shapes, and Env Fog now successfully loads into the material listing, however some features may not be available for these material types, such as the Assign/Delete Material Channels tools.
9) Colorized indicator arrows for easier visibility.
10) Moved Create Shelf Button button to the Tool menu.
11) Added Import and Export buttons.

The video doesn't quite match the current build of the tool anymore, however nearly all the features outlined in the video are still present in the plugin.

Version 3 is out! Check it out here

Installation instructions come with your download and are also outlined in the video above.

Replies

• passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    little harder to implement in mel but you really should try to get a search in there, especially for searching through the ddo mat library.

also doesn't look like your little indicator in the list updates unless the UI refreshes, you might be able to use a scriptJob to set that everytime a selection is made
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Haha thanks to have made it ! Really nice and as i though/wished !
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome stuff. Small nitpick coming from a tech artist in terms of flow and ui design. Was there any reason to not mimick something like maya's interface design? The one thing I have learned is that if you can make a tool look and feel (for the better) like what an artist works in, they will be more comfortable with it. Again small nitpick and might be more opinion based but awesome to see this tool grow. Should really use this as a chance to learn python and pyqt.
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    passerby wrote:
    little harder to implement in mel but you really should try to get a search in there, especially for searching through the ddo mat library.

also doesn't look like your little indicator in the list updates unless the UI refreshes, you might be able to use a scriptJob to set that everytime a selection is made

Yeah I didn't want to deal with the headache of figuring out how to implement a search field. I don't think I have the time right now either :/ Ideally it would be nice for the indicators to update instantly, but as far as I know that requires the window to be reloaded/redrawn which could get annoying for people to see the window constantly flashing, or even time consuming of the scene contains a large amount of materials to list back out.
    Awesome stuff. Small nitpick coming from a tech artist in terms of flow and ui design. Was there any reason to not mimick something like maya's interface design? The one thing I have learned is that if you can make a tool look and feel (for the better) like what an artist works in, they will be more comfortable with it. Again small nitpick and might be more opinion based but awesome to see this tool grow. Should really use this as a chance to learn python and pyqt.

That's a good question. The previous version was a docked window like the Tool Settings, however I was encountering an issue where the dock window would stop refreshing at random for no reason so I was forced to return it to a floating window.

As for the tabs, which is a bit unusual for common tool option windows, I used that as a way to keep all the features I wanted without increasing the size of the window or requiring the use of a scroll bar to view the major elements.

I'd love to learn Python but considering this is more of a hobby and mostly an undertaking to improve my own pipeline, it's not something I can afford the time to do.

I'm also happy to see the progress of this tool. Remember, the tool used to look like this:

matlist.PNG
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    If the indicators were instantly changed from a script job, you shouldn't have to refresh the UI, almost all UI elements have a -visible flag that you can set True or False in edit mode for the command.

That flag is also one of the better ways to implement search, loop through everything in the list, do some string comparisons from it's name to the text in the search field, if True, set visible=True, if not True, set visible=False.
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    thanks for adding the graph network button! but is there a way to organize the material list alphabetically? and like @passerby said a search button would be rad too

keep it up :)
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Friendly bump for a friendly update to my plugin... I updated the original post with the latest information and imagery. Enjoy =)
    passerby wrote:
    If the indicators were instantly changed from a script job, you shouldn't have to refresh the UI, almost all UI elements have a -visible flag that you can set True or False in edit mode for the command.

I finally got around to implementing this. It works great now! Everything updates in real time without requiring the entire window to redraw. There's still a bit of annoyance, though. The scriptJob doesn't seem to work in the 2012 version. Same code and everything, it just refuses to do what it's supposed to. I'm not sure what Autodesk did between 2012 and 2013 but there are some serious differences in each version of MEL.
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump, latest update should fix a lot of bugs and improve the ease of use!

[edit: removed old links]
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed a few bugs and added a couple more features!

ddo.png
    -- February 3 2014 -- Version 2.7.5

1) Fixed the misleading destination path in step 3 of the Installation Instructions.
    2) Clicking on a material name now updates textures!
    3) Added a Sort Z-A sorting method.
    4) Fixed an issue where deleting a selected material (regular and multi mode) would prevent the Material List from updating.
    5) Fixed an issue where assigning Quick Materials didn't work on more than one object.
    6) Fixed an issue where deleting a material resulted in the loss of the current selection.
  • Rawzombie
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawzombie polycounter lvl 6
    Doesnt work in maya 2015, if i click quick assign diffuse:
    // Error: file: F:/Docs/maya/2015-x64/scripts/ddoMaterialManager_2013.mel line 739: Number of arguments on call to AEfileTextureBrowser does not match number of parameters in procedure definition. //