Home Adobe Substance

Subst4nce ?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jerc interpolator
Great news guys, we have 2 big Substance related announcements coming, second announcement on Wednesday, December 4th!.

mzEHSTEl.png

The first one is probably what you would expect, we can't wait to see your reaction to the second.
I think some polycounters already know what it's all about, their wait is almost over.

[size=+2]Substance Designer 4 is out![/size]
Steam SD 3.x users get SD 4 and all future SD 4.x updates for free

All Substance Designer versions are [size=+2]on sale at 50% [/size] during the Autumn sales on Steam, starting right now!

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    that image seems to mimic left4dead logo style :poly121:
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Oh yay! This is going to be very interesting!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    color me excited
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    d1ver wrote: »
    color me excited

Red, or green? xD
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    You guys are going to announce that the Unreal 4 integration is ready, yeah :p ?

(I can live in hope)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Nice stuff, it's a great system.
  • iskandar80
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iskandar80 polycounter lvl 6
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    ambershee wrote: »
    You guys are going to announce that the Unreal 4 integration is ready, yeah :p ?

(I can live in hope)

Not this time, but that's in the works too and looking pretty good already :)
    Send me a PM if you need more details.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    From the image I would surmise a animated particle fx system.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
  • JamesTKirk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesTKirk polycounter lvl 8
    Where is new features list? :)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Its the 27th!! Waiting to see what you guys have been working on. Been meaning to have a go at Substance.
  • Jeka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man.....this looks awesome. Can't wait to try it out.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    [size=+2]Substance Designer 4[/size] is here, woohoo!

The main new features are:
    • Material layering workflow - full materials can be collapsed, blended and processed as one single element.
    • PBR preview - the 3d preview now uses the same lighting model as UE4
    • Dynamic inputs and outputs - Activate node inputs and outpus on the fly for cleaner faster graphs.
    • Revamped filters library - material wide weathering filters, masks generators,material blending and transformation, etc.
    • Expose all the parameters of a node at once
    • Support for substance presets
    • Drag and drop any node in the 3d view for a instant preview
    • GUI redesign to match future other stuff that may be coming in the near future...
    • Many, many workflow improvements and small features...

BTW, any of you who bought SD 3.x on Steam get SD 4 and all future SD 4.x updates for free, you will see the upgrade automatically in your Steam library.

And finally, all Substance Designer versions are on sale at 50% during the Autumn sales on Steam, starting right now!
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Nice :poly121:
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Epic :) love this tool and it keeps getting better! time to make my substance thread for tests I do at home.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Full walkthrough of the material layering workflow

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ETs6v9HlVk"]Substance Designer 4 New features & Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah rogelio I want to see more Substance stuff on Polycount. Seems like all people use is dDo, while this is much more powerful and interesting. I'll start posting some stuff soon too!
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    rogelio wrote: »
    Epic :) love this tool and it keeps getting better! time to make my substance thread for tests I do at home.
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Yeah rogelio I want to see more Substance stuff on Polycount. Seems like all people use is dDo, while this is much more powerful and interesting. I'll start posting some stuff soon too!

Looking forward to this ! :)
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I assume you have a full working preview version? dDo has given me nothing but frustration with its very specific layering and workflow, though to be fair many of these are supposed to be addressed in the next version.

Im very curious about the previewer. Does it make a cache image somewhere that I could point another game engine at to see inside it? Or is the preview window very customizable in that you can make emulate old school engines before Gi and PBR?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You'll be able to get the trial on the website as soon as it's available again, it's getting hammered right now.
    The previewer allows you to load any glsl shader. It comes with a default PBR shader and also Relief mapping and parallax shaders that uses the typical Diffuse/normal/spec/gloss outputs.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    That was awesome! Definitely on my list of software I need to get a license for.
  • Chris Krüger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Def a buy for me :) Cheers!
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Man what a powerfull tool - there was a debate month ago - that substance is more for big pigplining stuff then small assets - but i really looking into this... Also tried ddo a bit. but the substance note editor gives a much better overview and seems to be a lot more funnier - thanks and keep it up! - ill buy it, with my first paycheck ;)
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Substance does indeed shine in a large company scenario, but even if I was working freelance with the right self made tools I could dramatically decrease my time. What substance is awesome at is that it is a tool for making more tools if you really start to work the true magic of substance.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    While we work to get the webiste up and running again, you can download the new release over here: PC & MAC
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio wrote: »
    Substance does indeed shine in a large company scenario, but even if I was working freelance with the right self made tools I could dramatically decrease my time. What substance is awesome at is that it is a tool for making more tools if you really start to work the true magic of substance.

Yes by yourself it's much harder to get started unless you're really into the technical stuff (like me), but in a company it makes much more sense. Still hard to convince your artists though...

I'm thinking this could become interesting if people on Polycount start releasing some cool nodes, i might in the future, though I'd be remaking a bunch of stuff from work first lol.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Website is back up, finally.
    Substance is indeed first a technical artist toolset, although it allows those tech artists to help more traditional artists immensely by easily building custom tools for them, like rogelio said.
    Hopefully the second announcement will please everyone, technical or not :)
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Jerc wrote: »
    [size=+2]Substance Designer 4[/size] is here, woohoo!
    BTW, any of you who bought SD 3.x on Steam get SD 4 and all future SD 4.x updates for free, you will see the upgrade automatically in your Steam library.

Oh wow :D Awesome!
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I think you just sold me on getting a license. Good job!

Are there any drawbacks to using the Steam Version? IF for any reason the steam account is lost is the license to use Substance lost as well?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    What kind of nodes come out of the box with this?

In the car video he uses base materials like paint, chrome, etc, are those standard? Also he chains them into effect nodes like edge wear, dirt, etc, what about those ones?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Dataday wrote: »
    Are there any drawbacks to using the Steam Version? IF for any reason the steam account is lost is the license to use Substance lost as well?

We can provide you with a stand alone license even though you bought it over Steam if need be.
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    What kind of nodes come out of the box with this?

In the car video he uses base materials like paint, chrome, etc, are those standard? Also he chains them into effect nodes like edge wear, dirt, etc, what about those ones?

There is no base material library built-in, as we figure everyone want to create their own stuff, for their own style and project, maybe even for their own shader.
    We will provide a library of pure materials though that can be useful as a base to build upon.
    There are multiple effect nodes, that range from full material weathering to simply specialized mask generation for edge wera, dirt, etc.
    The philosophy behind SD is really to give you all the elements you need to create your own content, your own tools and your own workflow.
  • CognizanCe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CognizanCe polycounter lvl 10
    I LOVE SD3.
    This may sound noob-ish, but what is
    substance.jpg

"physically based shading and rendering"
    -and what advantages does t have over "regular" shading and rendering?

EDIT:
    " We can provide you with a stand alone license even though you bought it over Steam if need be."

How do I get that?
    I bought my version on steam.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    CognizanCe wrote: »
    I LOVE SD3.
    This may sound noob-ish, but what is
    substance.jpg

"physically based shading and rendering"
    -and what advantages does t have over "regular" shading and rendering?

EDIT:
    " We can provide you with a stand alone license even though you bought it over Steam if need be."

How do I get that?
    I bought my version on steam.

I believe its PBR... which gives the best most natural looking renders. I believe marmoset toolbag uses the same kind of rendering approach. Anyways it makes stuff look good! Ryse uses it as well.

A stand alone version feels safer I agree.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    There is no base material library built-in, as we figure everyone want to create their own stuff, for their own style and project, maybe even for their own shader.
    We will provide a library of pure materials though that can be useful as a base to build upon.
    There are multiple effect nodes, that range from full material weathering to simply specialized mask generation for edge wera, dirt, etc.
    The philosophy behind SD is really to give you all the elements you need to create your own content, your own tools and your own workflow.

Ahh I see. That's cool. I was mainly asking for educational purposes, like to train a new artist on the job for instance.

Like say that video you guys released of the car texturing. It would be nice if that project and its files were made available so new folks can follow along.

Also, yeah, it would be cool to build some repository like how zBrush did with Matcaps. Maybe we should do one here on Polycount. I can imagine people putting up all sorts of useful nodes.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    CognizanCe> Send us an email and we will take care of providing you with a standalone key.
    The PBR stuff is really just a combination of shading and lighting technique (energy conservation, image based lighting, fresnel, etc.) that gives a lot more natural and realistic look to materials. It is going to become the new standard for pretty much any high end game engine out there in the coming months and years.
    It requires artists to be a bit more careful when it comes to authoring specularity related maps, but working with base materials and non destructive tools like SD allows you to keep consistency between all your assets.

Bigjohn> Indeed a repository like this would be nice, we wanted to create one on our website but time flies by and we haven't managed to do that yet. We could definitely create one on Polycount. I have a few things I could share already and I'm sure others do too.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If there is enough interest for it we may be able to create a sub forum in tech talk, I know I have some I could share as well.
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey I got a non-commercial before you were on steam, am I still able to get the free upgrade?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Paradan wrote: »
    hey I got a non-commercial before you were on steam, am I still able to get the free upgrade?
    Unfortunately not, but you can get the 4.0 NC version for 50$ on Steam during this week's sales.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fine, but there better be swag at the meeting :P
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Haha we'll make sure there is and that you're well fed and boozed :)
  • CognizanCe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CognizanCe polycounter lvl 10
    CognizanCe> image based lighting

Can I load my own HDR 360 panoramas into SD4?!?!?!!?!?
    I create them for IBL in keyshot, toolbag, maya etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-9BQnkMo4s
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theres a long/lat panorama channel for the PBR shader, so just import your image and hook it up to an output node. right click on node, select view in 3d view, and youll get a drop-down list of the channels.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes. You can drag and drop any panorama in a package and use it as environment map for the 3d view.
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 17
    In the video, did you bake that car without separating the parts or even use a cage? How can you get a clean result from that...I must be missing something?

edit: Oh right, you baked them from an existing normalmap...but why import the highpoly mesh then?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    I baked the normal map from the high poly mesh at the beginning (first bake you see in the video) and then baked all the other maps but the video shows only the first part of the car, the FBX contained 2 separate parts (the main body and the accessories) and I also had the 2 corresponding separate high poly meshes.

So yeah, it was 2 separate bakes in the end, with no cage, no parts separation, using a very low ray distance since the high and low poly were very close, so it gave almost no artefact, even on the engine area where everything is kind of close and interpenetrating.
    We could have used a cage though, but it was good enough with the default bake, not perfect, but good enough :).

Even if you have very small ray misses due to a low ray distance, we fill these misses with gradients so that will most of the time "heal" the artefacts pretty effectively.