Home Technical Talk

A question on seamless textures and uvmaps

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
I'm working on a palm tree. Is the correct approach to have the trunk on one map (512x512?) and the leaf/leaves on another? I've seen a trick that utilizes a seamless trunk texture by overlaying segments of the uvmap, but does that mean that all segments of the trunk have to be equally spaced and perfectly square? Any advice on how to tackle this is appreciated!

Replies

• DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    I would say that you should dedicate a 256x512 texture for the bark and unwrap your model so that you don't get any obvious seams or repeats.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    if youre going for a cylinder trunk with no real roots, start with 1/6th of the height or something, put as many segments as you want, then unwrap it

Select one side/part of the cylinder, unwrap it, then select the other (or multiple other depending how much you want it to tile) and place it perfectly on the same spot (may need to invert it horizontally) and so you have a tiling cylinder piece. Now just dublicate the cylinder vertically and there you have a simple trunk

Put leaves on a seperate UV, else you cannot animate them later in a shader without extensive use of masks. Aka wind shader and such.