Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

wild west saloon. CE3

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
noscope polycounter lvl 6
Hello,

Ive been trying to better my portfolio before going back on the job hunt after a contract ended. Here's my latest scene, Some crit would be awesome.

Thanks!

29mtwsy.jpg
30j4ocn.jpg302ntpe.jpg

Replies

• PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Some of the textures are reading as a bit noisy but overall this is looking ace! Good work.
  • DougClayton4231
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Erhmergerd, I love it! The only thing that I could say is that the barrels could use a bit of wear.
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dude which textures do you think are the worst culprits and ill tone them down. @PogoP
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Your building is aged and shows a lot of wear and tear.. but some of your other props in the scene look clean and brand new.

Nice looking scene though :)
  • YdoUwant2know
    Offline / Send Message
    YdoUwant2know polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great! I agree with Brandoom and everyone else. There is a bit of a disconnect in how warn some objects are compared to others.

The main siding of the building looks very beat down, but the sign looks brand new. Some of the barrels and crates look pretty new as well.

The nighttime lighting needs a little work. At first glance, ground level looks amazing, but the second story is way too bright. Aside from the light escaping the windows, there should not be any light source up there (aside from the moon maybe, but the shadows don't look right for that). Yet as bright as things are right now, it looks like there are a few spotlights on it.

On closer inspection, the shadows in the night scene don't make a ton of sense. They are missing a source of light. I'm guessing you are trying to make it look like the light is coming from inside the saloon, but the shadows are reading as if the light is a magic point floating in mid air (I'm betting you have a few point lights floating in front of the windows to fake emission, am I right?). Also check the background... the tops of the Cacti are glowing...

The chairs right below the wanted poster are a good example of this. They have a nice hard shadow but there is no way for the light from the windows to do this (same with shadow on the top of the window trim).

The daytime lighting is good, however, you still have the odd shadows above the windows. You also have a hot spot on the bottom of the sign, and in general, the light coming from the windows during the day looks too warm and bright. Most places would not keep the lights on during the day if you catch my drift.

Sorry if anything I said came across as too harsh. I was only being so critical because what you have already is so well done. As is, I would say its a solid 9/10 fix those few little things, and it will be a 10 for sure.
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    @YdoUwant2know Cheers dude lighting isn't my strong point and this crit is much needed, will definitely help me push it that bit further. Ill get those changes in asap and will hopefully have something to post tomorrow. Thanks again.
  • Pookhan
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    Love this! The first image though, the top deck looks quite light, almost as if it is being lit by sunlight. Contrasts quite a bit from the bottom deck. Other than that it looks amazing.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The scene is really strong, but I am not a huge fan of the post processing you have. I would love to see just a raw image without any post processing on it to see what you have. The vignette you have works for the night time scene, but not the day time scene because it kind of creates a tunnel vision effect. Also that hazy purple overlay looks really strange and out of place. Try to start with a simple lighting setup and no post processing first to get a good base down, and then build up from that.
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    ARRRGH whilst working on this scene today my cryengine stopped allowing me to save and got a lil buggy so I closed and reopened it. Now cryengine says the level file no longer exists. The folder with all the other files still exists but the main .CRY file is no longer anywhere on my computer.

Has anyone had this problem before? Im a lil bummed out by this to say the least. So much placement and lighting work all for nothing. If worst comes to worst ill re-place everything. =(
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I replaced the scene, dirtied up some of the assets and tried to follow everyone's advice about the daytime lighting. Will get onto the nightime lighting next. I've also taken off all post processing including the fog. This is the scene as is in cryengine. Is this headed in the right direction?

b66bt3.jpg
  • e-freak
    looks fantastic :) if anything I'd experiment with some distance clouds to support the perspective.
  • Kitty|Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    might be worth taking a look at some westerns like TG,TB,TU or once upon a time in the west to look at the colour pallet as it isn't really working at the moment.

the amount of contrast from the tone-mapping, textures and lighting (all together not individually) is also distracting and makes the image harder to read, it also doesn't make it feel like what we/people are used to seeing when we think of western's

I think you need some level of atmosphere in there, dust in the air to sell the heat of it. I#d also say the paint would be faded on the upper floor exposed to the sun all day vs the lower floor that is in the shade for a lot of it. i also think the vegetation is too heavy and dark, it would be dryer, and not as thick.
    The ground should probably be dustier in its tone/feeling, the bump/parallax is too obvious.
    also clouds etc.

but it is shaping up definitely ;)

on an end note it might be worth looking at film/camera techniques used in old westerns, which were popular at the time and then compose your image in a similar fashion? it is a small detail that not many would notice however it is about selling the feeling of what people expect to see rather than realism.
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    I really love the shape of this building!
  • warby
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    tone down the white lines and noisy pixels in the wood diffuse map and you gotta a massive victory on your hands here ^^
  • Pookhan
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    I really like the harder lighting you have going on in the daytime scene. Much more interesting. Assets fit much better now with more wear/damage. Keep it up, loving this scene!
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress with the lighting. Tried to tone down the noise on wood textures and added clouds and stuff. Want to call it a day on this asap so I can beautify my website and nail another piece. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments so far btw!!

33mooar.jpg
    294mcdz.jpg
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
  • locater16
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great, especially at night! The slightly overproportioned features and high saturation remind me of Bioshock Infinite. Bioshock old west!
  • JamesMeader
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    The latest screenshots are spot on.

I really love the night scene the highlights from the wagon and barrels are a really nice touch.
  • edwardsomatic
    Fucking wow! I absolutely love this, it's the style that's sold me... only crits are what others have said so.

Could we possible see the texture sheets my good chap? Really curious is all.
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the awesome feedback! Here's some of the textures although they're not the most amazing things ever they do the job. I'm missing the texture for the window and supports and signs and then the other texture for the grass and cactus. Still just trying to refine those today.

156v1at.jpg
  • DougClayton4231
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Fantastic work, I love the final nighttime scene :P
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Congratz on being featured on CryEngine's FB page!

https://www.facebook.com/cryengineofficial
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy snowballs! Thanks for the heads up. This made my day super nice. Cheers for everyone who give me crit. :)
  • BertR
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice and inspirational! Love the nightscenes.
  • AbKI
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, it's great that you persisted with the changes, you really pushed it to the next level. It looks awesome, congratulations. :)
  • Sugus
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Beautifull work here!There's just one thing that's somewhat throwing me off here and it's the top floor. It looks like it's a bit smaller in proportion than the rest of the building?

I must say i don't have any knowledge of saloon architecture and i'm pretty sure you've revised your scale on this, but I just thought i'd point it out.