Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Howl's Moving Castle: Living Room - Dallas McAtasney

This is my WIP Howl's Moving Castle living room, I decided to do it since it has a huge range of possible textures.

Moodboard:

v2Rq9Jp.jpg?1

AO Render from the angle I'll be taking the shot from:

I0RokHH.jpg

AO Render 2:

FYhA0oO.jpg

I'll be correcting the height of the small statues, the face on the disk will be a normal map created by a surface transfer of a high res ZBrush sculpt (will be uploading progress in the next few days).

Replies

• Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    nice idea! I'm curious to see where it goes!! Do you know what kind of render style you want?

on the first shot the table seems too big imo.
  • Karasu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I'm going for a painted but realistic texture style with a lot of the details being normal maps. I'm making it with the intent of putting it in UDK.

I see what you mean with the table, I'll correct it soon :).
  • Karasu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo wrote: »
    nice idea! I'm curious to see where it goes!! Do you know what kind of render style you want?

on the first shot the table seems too big imo.

Thanks! I'm going for a painted but realistic texture style with a lot of the details being normal maps. I'm making it with the intent of putting it in UDK.

I see what you mean with the table, I'll correct it soon :).
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    One of my fave movies. Can't wait to see how it looks with a painterly touch.
  • Karasu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my partially textured hard surface scene, the majority of it is hand painted using swatches gathered from the source material, the rest of the textures are placeholders (the metalwork inside the fireplace and the table). I'd say that I am around 70% done at the moment, I hid the un-textured models for this render. The floor and fireplace textures are going to be a tough to finish.

2YDBoPJ.jpg
  • Griffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Griffin polycounter lvl 6
    You can definitely push the hue variation more! notice how the stone/ceramic (plaster?) wall has whole strokes of red blue and yellow mixed in, giving it that painterly feel. same with the floor boards, play with green tinted spec maybe? just try to get more subtle color into the textures.
    nice stuff though, I like the ref.
  • 87roach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    Very much looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

I would love to do a scene myself one day of some Ghibli works.
  • Karasu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Griffin wrote: »
    You can definitely push the hue variation more! notice how the stone/ceramic (plaster?) wall has whole strokes of red blue and yellow mixed in, giving it that painterly feel. same with the floor boards, play with green tinted spec maybe? just try to get more subtle color into the textures.
    nice stuff though, I like the ref.

Thanks, I'll crank up the saturation for sure. I'm having a bit of trouble getting all the tones and colours in the floorboards without effecting the lighting too much. I'll keep playing around with it though :).
    87roach wrote: »
    Very much looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

I would love to do a scene myself one day of some Ghibli works.

It's really fun, I've been playing Ni no Kuni on the side whilst making this and it's really interesting to see how they made a Ghibli world 3D.
  • Karasu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just posting what I'll be handing in for my uni module, I wont use the word final because I'm still going to add to it for the months to come since it's something I've enjoyed making. Really dislike the cabinet on the left but I needed something to break up the space in that area.

mZ6lUEd.jpg
  • Laktou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is an awesome concept to work on, man. I love that movie and that room, especially the vibrant colors and range of materials as you said. The only negative thing that catches my eye is the flatness of the pans on the left there. In the concept art, they seem to have more of an angle on the handle. But either way, they seem odd in their general flatness against the wall.

Keep up the awesome work!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Love this movie. One of my favorite parts is the ember. It's looking really good right now but I feel like the copper might look a little too realistic a texture compared to the rest. Maybe if the brights were a bit more smudgy? I think it does need a little bit more color variation here and there to give it a more painterly feel as well. Just my two bits!
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Great choice of subject matter.

I would love to see you try a painterly texture to the scene. maybe start on the fireplace and try and match the paint strokes. The coldren in the film has a bit of bulged bottom and a sumptuous highlight.

I love the progress, reflection on the floor would be cool too.

mcatasney_dallas_howls_moving_castle_source_imag.jpg

mZ6lUEd.jpg
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Cool idea. Just my two cents but if you de-saturate your textures by about 40% it looks much closer to the original.

good work so far, I am keen to see more.
  • CSOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really great so far man, I agree with Duncan though it's a bit too saturated. I'd also recommend bumping up the spec map on the floor, and if you're able too, include the ashes that are piling up in the hearth.