Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HSM Corner Room Project - Keezia Mahusay

Hey guys! I'm working on a second project called the "Hard Surface Modeling - Corner Room Project". We have to take a game or a film and remake a corner from it. I've decided to do a scene from the Game of Thrones (Kraken fireplace, Iron Islands). I don't actually watch it but it's been recommended because it has nice compositions and lighting.

I hope I can pull it off (: Critiques are very welcome (:

Here is the scene:
3rkId74.jpg

Here are some of the stuff I've started to model (All are WIPs, I will be taking a few things to zBrush):
War planning table
wXe3pmm.png

The curved bricks above the fireplace
gHnkqUL.png

Candelabra
0hv8uZQ.png

The main chair around the war table
T55aTNv.png

The chair by the fireplace (ignore the cube on top of it lol)
2QXe6QK.png

Replies

• Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    looking pretty good
  • Kazperstan
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    oo nice, that fireplace should be fun :D
  • artofkee
    Mossbros wrote: »
    looking pretty good

Thanks! (:
    Kazperstan wrote: »
    oo nice, that fireplace should be fun :D

Thanks~ And the more I look at the fireplace, it's starting to look a lot like my grave >_< I just hope I don't fail too miserably D;
  • artofkee
    Hey guys! Just a quick update! So here is an AO render of my scene and some zBrush renders. Will still need to tweak a few things and add some texture. I will be making my tileable texture in zBrush (i.e. wall and floor). I will try and improve my chair a bit more as it needs a bit more lovin'.

About the chair, in the ref I couldn't get any better shots or resolution that would be enough for me to see the carved pattern on the backrest. Moreover, as my zBrush skill is still lacking, I decided to just gather random reference of patterns on chairs, mixed them and came up with what I have. It's not very intricate, I know. But maybe in the future it'll get better. (:

gHIAzDU.jpg
    WKs5xRO.jpg
    dAT3LWp.jpg
  • AndroidBebop
    Its looking really cool. ^_^
  • artofkee
    Its looking really cool. ^_^
    Thank you! (:
  • artofkee
    Hello, hello! Just an update!

I'm not too familiar with Marmoset just yet and as a result, my textures look so blown out. It appears as if I've been so lazy and only rendered them in single colours (especially the chair with carvings). I actually worked my ass off texturing and baking these babies. I'll make better renders in the future once I've taken Marmo out on quite a few dates. But for now, here's an update.

I attempted to make my own tileable textures zBrush. Which is why it took a millennium texturing these. I got so many baking errors. Not to mention UVing! Since I'm no UV or tileable texture master, it seemed like I was racing with Usain Bolt. That's how slow it was going for me. My first tileable is the one with many bricks (right). It's obvious because it looks terrible. Not that the second one is amazing but it's a little better (I did it a little faster too).

I textured a lot of them in zBrush. I baked normal maps, AOs, cavities, EDT, EMB from xNormal. I also went to generate another AO and cavity in Knald from my normal map. Just in case I get something better. I mostly got better ones from Knald. I also got Convexity maps from Knald.

I'm learning so much in zBrush so I guess it's all worth the stress. (:

nZ78GkG.jpg
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    That blockout to the AO render, exclaimed an audible "whoa". Translation, sculpt work so far is sweet. Keep it goin'!
  • artofkee
    Add3r wrote: »
    That blockout to the AO render, exclaimed an audible "whoa". Translation, sculpt work so far is sweet. Keep it goin'!

Hi~! Thank you for the kind words! I actually need to tweak the textures a lot! But thank you for taking your time too look at my work! (':
  • artofkee
    UPDATE!

I have another project I'm working on at the same time as this project. My wrist is also a little injured so progress is much, much slower. >__<

Despite it all, I've taken my assets into UDK, did the basic materials for them. Still so much to do. Gotta fix the diffuse and the specular for most items. The robots are just there as a guide. I have 10 more days for this project!!

Ytkwdl1.jpg
  • artofkee
    Okay... Lighting is the hardest thing ever ):

Anyway, here's an update. Still quite a bit to do. Need to fix shadows, add the fire lighting on the floor and make proper fire. That's UDK fire. It doesn't look good, unfortunately. So that's another thing on my to do list.

vPYu1MA.jpg
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Not sure if you plan on keeping the pillar you have now, but I highly suggest matching the one from the screenshot. It takes up a 1/6th of the screen space roughly, and helps start identifying the story of the piece. Nice proportions work so far! The lighting is definitely getting there as well. For the UDK scene, I personally would push the fire ambient lighting a little more and try to match the reflection/materials of the floor. Its a focal point for the scene.
  • artofkee
    Thanks @Add3r. Yeah working on it. Lighting is really difficult since it's my first time doing proper lighting in UDK. And as for the pillar, I'll try and modify it. I actually forgot about it XD
  • artofkee
    I've attempted to do this in many ways DX and this is the best I could get out of it ):

I tried to make a flickering material and I played around with the sine node settings. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. Fire lighting is really quite hard. I'll leave it as it is for now and move on to fix other lighting and polish up some of the materials. If anyone has any better lighting solution for the fire, please let me know. Thanks.

P.S. The gif image seems a little too slow here.

qZoE0YJ.gif
  • artofkee
    Hey guys! I've finally finished my corner room project. I didn't get too much time to polish it in the end. But I'm still quite happy with the result. The video will follow up shortly. I've learned so much with this project and thank you to those who gave time to share some tips and critiques.

bOHFA3U.jpg

Alternate Lighting
    BGlK0XX.jpg
  • artofkee
    And here is the video!

(Feel free to laugh at my fire lighting >__<)

[vv]81620986[/vv]
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    Looks very nice but the lighting is suffering a bit, you shouldn't restrict yourself to one light source unless absolutely necessary as it turns the environment from something with a lot of depth and character to more of an artistic piece.

In some cases it's fair enough to do it, but in most cases you want to make the environment enticing to players as that's the user base (Game engines are for exactly that, games) Apart from the lighting the fireplace seems to be flashing white light rather than yellow light like a fire would in real life due to the chemicals burning.

Another note to add about the fire would be that the sine wave you've used may be oscillating a bit too fast without any form of release or attack curve which it desperately needs and or a combo of two so you get the flickering effect of wood bursting and a smooth sine that increases/decreases the brightness of the flame.

The environment is very nice so far though.
  • artofkee
    Mossbros wrote: »
    Looks very nice but the lighting is suffering a bit, you shouldn't restrict yourself to one light source unless absolutely necessary as it turns the environment from something with a lot of depth and character to more of an artistic piece.

In some cases it's fair enough to do it, but in most cases you want to make the environment enticing to players as that's the user base (Game engines are for exactly that, games) Apart from the lighting the fireplace seems to be flashing white light rather than yellow light like a fire would in real life due to the chemicals burning.

Another note to add about the fire would be that the sine wave you've used may be oscillating a bit too fast without any form of release or attack curve which it desperately needs and or a combo of two so you get the flickering effect of wood bursting and a smooth sine that increases/decreases the brightness of the flame.

The environment is very nice so far though.

Hey!

Thanks for the feedback! I had a few lights in the scene. I just probably need more practice. We had to try and copy the lighting in the actual scene but even then I failed.

As for the fire, yeah it was really difficult. I spent a lot of time playing with the sine wave but I never made good friends with it >__<

Hopefully I can revisit this in the summer and make it better. Thanks so much for the input! ((: