Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mystery Machone WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
Been working on a Mystery Machine for a bit but am steadily passing the deadline for it to be seasonally appropriate. I'm fairly content with the design now except that I've developed terrible tunnel vision. What do we like, dislike about it and I have some windows to put in but I'm never tried to texture dirty glass. Anybody have some good techniques to share?

n3P5ujJ.jpg

Replies

• YdoUwant2know
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YdoUwant2know polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good, but I think body is a little to high above the wheels/axles. It almost feels like they are running a lift kit on the suspension. Also, I dont see an exhaust pipe lol.

The front end feels a little odd as well. Are you basing the design on a real van, or are you kind of doing your own thing?

Good start on the paint job, but the ware is too even. Maybe have parts of the decals coming off and show some of the under coat beneath it.

Also why is the graffiti only on the dark door panels? The only way that could happen is if they were tagged before they were put on the van. I would have then carry over onto the rest of the vehicle, and make it look like they were painted after the fact.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Also why is the graffiti only on the dark door panels? The only way that could happen is if they were tagged before they were put on the van. I would have then carry over onto the rest of the vehicle, and make it look like they were painted after the fact.

Simple answer - the door got damaged, so they got a replacement at a "Pull a part" place, and haven't gotten around to repainting it yet. I see dozens of fenders, doors, hoods, and such like that every day.
  • WadeWT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    The real question is why are the handles so shiny on those doors. I have no crits otherwise, looks good.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a bit hard to criticize this without a reference image. I personally always think of the design from the original cartoon, but there are also the designs from the movies and the newer series.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIyfGbP09li1SEyTABVUjxLfVAO1gJJv5ELl18YGQsEKz_HK17Eg

The square lights on the roof are very odd; round KC hilites are more common, possibly with a daisy painted on each of the covers.
    back_to_the_future_toyota_truck_2.jpg

The front pusher bars must be a new option; they aren't found on the standard model. You're also missing the spare tire carried on the front.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the ambiguity in the model. The vehicle is based on a circa 1970 Ford Econoline but overall there are lots of artistic liberties taken to achieve the goal I was looking for. The actual Ford Econoline has very obvious moulding around the body that interrupts the pattern of the "Mystery Machine" paintjob.

vTFV8Bl.jpg

I also added a lot to make it look relevant for a post apocalyptic setting. Things like the deer guard, roof rack, roof lights, lifted suspension, more rugged tires, side ladder and I removed the front spare tire in favor of the deer guard.

rmV28vg.jpg

I may end up scrapping the glass altogether. It's a second material I can cut down on and I can't seem to get it to read correctly for the life of me. Nobody knows of any good tutorials for that? If I axe the glass, I'll need to put a lot more effort into the van's interior anyway. Thoughts?
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FS1B9ar.jpg
    Couldn't get the windows nailed down quite right so I replaced them with bars in favor using a single material. The door handle was supposed to be chrome but after getting the critique that it was really bright, I just moved it to the glossy painted metal.

Of course, all crit is welcome