Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CL4P-TP

YdoUwant2know
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
YdoUwant2know polycounter lvl 7
Greetings all,

I'm getting close to wrapping this guy up, and thought I would post up a couple of images and see if I could get a few fresh eyes to take a look and see what I can do to add a little more "wub wub" and take him up to an 11.

The textures are mostly just diffuse right now. There is a slight normal, but I still need to polish it up a bit. No spec yet, I'll pop that out once the diffuse is set.

Let me know what you think :)

UPDATE: Thanks everyone!

Here are the final images for Claptrap. I ended up touching up a few more things after all :)

Added some detail under the arms, tweaked the wheels and grime slightly as well. I also added an emissive map so that his "Warning" light can glow.

I'm very happy with how he turned out, and would like to say thanks again to everyone that commented. It was kind of cool, a couple of hours after posting him on verold.com, I got an email saying that my project was now a "Featured Project" on the main page :). It's not exactly a Nobel Prize, but i'm still kind of excited, and it made me smile.

Claptrap_WIP07a.jpg

Claptrap_WIP07b.jpg

Claptrap_WIP07c.jpg

Claptrap_WIP07d.jpg

Claptrap_WIP07e.jpg

Replies

• Javibcln
    Offline / Send Message
    Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
    WOOOOW MAN!! I really like this! Can you please post some maps and the high poly if there is one? I cant wait to see it with the spec!
  • YdoUwant2know
    Offline / Send Message

There is not really a high poly per say, there is more like 12 of them. For key parts, I modeled a high poly mesh and then baked it down using the AO as a starting point for the textures. For the rest, it was hand painted one chunk at a time.

For the textures, I set up each major color on a masked layer that used two levels masks (one lighter the other darker) to add variety while still allowing me to change out colors easily. Case in point: to switch him from yellow to red or blue all I have to do is edit a color override.

Claptrap_WIP04a.jpg

Claptrap_WIP04b.jpg

Claptrap_WIP04c.jpg
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looking really nice, cant distinguish from the borderlands one. Just try a proper background and maybe a not so diffuse lighting
  • YdoUwant2know
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Shrike. That is about as nice a compliment I could imagine. :poly136:

The final images will definitely have a better background and lighting. these are just a few quick screen grabs from toolbag and max. Thanks again for the compliment and the crit.
  • YdoUwant2know
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update: I tweaked the textures (added a bit more ware and tear, cut the whites a bit so there was more head room) and I rebuilt the spec. Its faint. but adds a lot. After taking a second look at the normal, I will probably re-bake most of it and then touch it up in nDo before calling it good.

If you see anything I could do better, Crits welcome :)

Claptrap_WIP05a.jpg

Claptrap_WIP05b.jpg
  • DWalker
    It feels rather matte at the moment. If you're going for extreme age, then that works for the overall paint, but I'd expect the glass 'eye' to remain glossy, and those metal bits that experience steady wear (e.g. the wheel hub) should be shiny.
  • YdoUwant2know
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm calling this one done; at least mesh and texture wise. :)

I rebuilt the spec and normal and tweaked just about everything else.

I'm still going to polish up the presentation a bit, but in general i'm pretty happy with how things have turned out.

Claptrap_WIP06a.jpg

Claptrap_WIP06b.jpg
  • Javibcln
    Offline / Send Message
    Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
    wow man!! this is a really good piece of art right here, it really inspires me :)
  • jackyleeart
    Offline / Send Message
    jackyleeart polycounter lvl 3
    Good design; Good picture effect...
    I give my some advice,
    The different metal texture`s distinction,such as tire`s metal、engine`s metal、bare metal、the paint metal…………
    Through the Diffuse map and Specular map strengthened!
    Sorry,My English is poor.i don`t know how to express more view```
  • YdoUwant2know
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Javibcln.

Just wanted to throw up one last image with a couple of alternate views.

Claptrap_WIP06c.jpg
  • jackyleeart
    Offline / Send Message
    jackyleeart polycounter lvl 3
    Nice design,Nice picture effects.
    But my English is poor,I don`t know how to impress more view
    So a little advice to you
    You can make some distinction between all kinds of materal
    such as bare metal,tire`s metal,engine`s metal,paint matal^^^
    may be through the specular map strengthened.....

sorry.:poly136:This is my first time to use English to speak at the forum
  • YdoUwant2know
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying out Verold for the first time. Pretty cool. I think I will still have to do some tweaking to get to look that I want, but thought I would share.

[VEROLD]5270503302bf780200000488[/VEROLD]
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    That is so gorgeous dude, amazing job. :o
  • SGT_Sasquatch
    Awesome Job mate, you really nailed the weathered metals that make up CL4P-TP's hull!
  • YdoUwant2know
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone!

Here are the final images for Claptrap. I ended up touching up a few more things after all :)

Added some detail under the arms, tweaked the wheels and grime slightly as well. I also added an emissive map so that his "Warning" light can glow.

I'm very happy with how he turned out, and would like to say thanks again to everyone that commented. It was kind of cool, a couple of hours after posting him on verold.com, I got an email saying that my project was now a "Featured Project" on the main page :). It's not exactly a Nobel Prize, but i'm still kind of excited, and it made me smile.

Claptrap_WIP07a.jpg

Claptrap_WIP07b.jpg

Claptrap_WIP07c.jpg

Claptrap_WIP07d.jpg

Claptrap_WIP07e.jpg
  • Dennispls
    Offline / Send Message
    Dennispls polycounter lvl 16
    Excellent rendition of Claptrap!