Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    So we, Oroboros, Bounchfx, and myself, can finally announce that we've been working along with Nexon on a few projects, the sotdae ward being the first of many to come!

9F698B52D33799854F658DEE33B853B4E4359F34
  • Starmony
    ovMXhrN.jpg?1

Working on some base colors but I'm not great at it, something seems off but I can't tell quite what it is, maybe my palette is too large?

Gotta find a good color guide/theory site outside of the steam tutorialsovMXhrN
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Starmony wrote: »
    ovMXhrN.jpg?1

Working on some base colors but I'm not great at it, something seems off but I can't tell quite what it is, maybe my palette is too large?

Gotta find a good color guide/theory site outside of the steam tutorials

I think its the size of the shawl and robe. Maybe you should make it a little smaller.

This is my brewmaster bamboo staff. I can't decide whether to make it yellow or green. I still haven't figured out how to rig this properly so can anyone share some insight? I can provide the files to anyone who wants to help me.

tGDwbYB.png
  • alexxrafael
    Hi guys. I'm making my fist Dota 2 item(a morph set) and i have some doubts. I created a mask but she have more triangles than LoD0 and LoD1 limit. You think its better I make the retopology before or after I add details on mudbox?

(English isn't my native language, sorry)
  • Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Great ward guys! Looking forward to the other projects you have going on with Nexon.

@alexxrafael, You should retopo after you are done in mudbox. This way you have more freedom when you sculpt. If you have trouble getting inside the poly budget you should only focusing on getting the silhouette down first.
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    i dont like nexon too much
  • alexxrafael
  • fx01
    So we, Oroboros, Bounchfx, and myself, can finally announce that we've been working along with Nexon on a few projects, the sotdae ward being the first of many to come!

9F698B52D33799854F658DEE33B853B4E4359F34

hahaha one of the best wards ever :thumbup:
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    You can't change the VTV, partly because it'll be useless, because volvo reimports your stuff using source files. Just do the alpha and import as usual.[/url]

sure you can and it happened often enough, our waldi for instance has a "custom" material, as the original courier material creates strange purple spec and has no control over a lot of masks you usually can use.
  • fx01
    I think its the size of the shawl and robe. Maybe you should make it a little smaller.

This is my brewmaster bamboo staff. I can't decide whether to make it yellow or green. I still haven't figured out how to rig this properly so can anyone share some insight? I can provide the files to anyone who wants to help me.

brown?
  • SemiColonThree
  • AndrewHelenek
  • YourDownfall
    Offline / Send Message
    YourDownfall polycounter lvl 9
    I currently working on a set for Death Prohet and need some feedback.:)

tajt5koj4vt1.png

xbgfwpxux7u.png
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    ycdwwk0.gif

Andrew, i love the work your team produce but don't you feel the above .gif is somewhat ironic, seeing as though your latest release has Nexon branding, right on the promo image?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Andrew, i love the work your team produce but don't you feel the above .gif is somewhat ironic, seeing as though your latest release has Nexon branding, right on the promo image?

The marketing a personal item, and creating an item specifically designed for organization are two different beasts.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    The marketing a personal item, and creating an item specifically designed for organization are two different beasts.

Just thought i would wrap this up by saying me and Andrew cleared this up over steam chat, ended up being a really good conversation about item marketing and promotion as a whole :)
  • Toyoka
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    LOOOONG POOOOST INCOOOOOMIIIIIIIIIIING!

gyrocopter.jpg

Hello there polycounters! Long time lurker, infrequent poster here.

I've just recently started to model my first workshop-ready model; in fact, it's almost finished! I've been going off and on it for a while but recent circumstances (job layoff incoming in 2 and some months) have pushed me to start working on models full-throttle and get something going.

So, I have a bit of an issue and some questions concerning all of this. As a forenote, I have been following Lennyagonys' guide (thanks Lenny, it was quite an interesting learning experience) to get my item on its way, and as a result I have a few things that are left unanswered.

First, the issue:

4YF3K.png
    The model in this image is quite big (I specifically exaggerated the size here) and is intended to be this size in-game and portrait-wise.

-BUT-

4YFec.jpg
    As can be seen after importing the model successfully, the size is considerably smaller (though, the shadow of it seems to be the correct size?). It looks more like a scepter than a staff!.

Just for clarification, I have imported the crystal maiden model needed to attach the bone to the staff as an FBX (!I did not link the FBX to the scene though, I imported it as a "non-native file" if that makes any difference!), rather than SMD. Could this be why the size is different? I find that with my version of Max (2013) the SMD plugin does not seem to work; likely since it's not supported. What am I to do in this case? Is there an alternative, or am I doing something wrong? If you need more information please ask, if I may be missing information in this post that you may need to know.

Also note that I have indeed tried resizing the models and resetting xforms (as should be done) without success or any difference when it is imported into DOTA 2.

Now..
    Because Crystal Maiden requires two LoD models, I assumed I needed to created two separate models (with near-identical topology [due to ~400 tri difference] and silhouette). Since the guide follows Pudge's Offhand (which both Lod0 and 1 require the same tri count), I did not get any help regarding this and had to improvise.

So... I may have made a mistake by changing the UVW unwrapping between the 2 models (I was learning UVW unwrapping as I was creating these models and so my optimization changed between the low and high-poly/Lod0 and Lod1 versions) and thus had to make 2 differently mapped normal bakes (and color/mask textures). The majority of the details in the 2 textures/bakes are the same, it is just that they are mapped differently on the UV space; so one version cannot fundamentally be used on the other, essentially.

So the questions are: do I need 1 separate texture set for both LoDs? I assumed I did and so I had created a set for both BUT when importing into the workshop, it only allows me to select one set of textures (either one for LoD0 or one for LoD1). And thus, I am now thinking that I should have just stuck with one set? I know the portrait is optional but was wondering if there is a way to have both versions uploaded and have both their textures align properly (if they have different UVW mapping); otherwise I assume I have to essentially have the same UV unwrap for both versions and sacrifice detail for one? Or remake one version of my model (possibly the LoD1 version which would be easier to optimize).

Also, (sorry for the long post!.. but) does it make a difference if I resize my textures to 256x256 before importing rather than using my 1024x1024 source textures? I'd wager that the publisher has it's own - possibly crummy - way of optimizing the textures to 256x256?

Anyways, thanks for reading and hopefully I can get this into the workshop at some point!

Just as an aside: I am also working on an announcer pack but have not been getting any luck trying to publish it in the workshop under "Other". Anyone have any insight into why I cannot publish it (it gives me an error saying the item could not be found or was removed by the author [I've done Google searches on this with no success; as well as trying to get help at the Dota 2 Dev forum; also with no success or answer])? If not, that's fine.

I'm sure it's just because the file size may be too small (since I essentially only have the one .zip-ed master sound file with all the dialogue and the marketing portrait at the moment, instead of each individual dialogue file) and can just add what is needed and try again then (it wouldn't let me upload for almost 2 months now I think?). If anyone is interested, the link to hear the bare-bones (hehe) version of the announcer is [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsRlowpldBY"]here[/ame]

(sorry if this seems like shameless plugging :P I've been itching to get this pack some feedback for around 2 months now...!)
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    i just flew over this so forgive me if i forgot something:

yes .FBX often has scaling issues, try using .SMD

i think the smd plugin should work under max 2013, its definetly working in max 2012 and that isn´t supported either.

obviously lod0 and lod1 use the same texture, so yep you need the same UV´s.
    easiest way to handle the lods is to make the lod0 first and bake everything on there, and then just remove some verts until you hit the lod1 limit.
    and while removing, always have your texture displayed on the model, so you don´t screw up the uv´s.
  • Toyoka
    Offline / Send Message
    Toyoka polycounter lvl 5
    Ah, thanks! This was giving me somewhat of a headache, thank you for clearing it up! Anyways, I'll work on my model and post an update sometime tomorrow. :)
  • Puppy
    Offline / Send Message
    Puppy polycounter lvl 6
    Halo guys... newbie here. I just finished my 1st set for Invoker and submit them to the workshop.
    Thanks to Lennyagony for his time explaining the compiling and other things.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xLEWtAdt8nc/Umn998IX_hI/AAAAAAAAAbI/RN0G10VBLiI/s1600/Invoker_Khaelthorn_Arcanscape2.jpg

• MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work Puppy! You might want to post a workshop link so people can vote on it :)
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    All of this stuff that is heavily promoted outside the workshop doesn't seem to be on the same playing field. It's like workshop entries on steroids.

I guess I can't blame artists for getting corporate sponsors.

I wonder if their computers have sponsor decals on them like race cars?
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Steam Workshop is doing for artists what the recording industry has done for musicians - which is really cool.

If you watch "Indie Game" you will see that it was Valve who also changed the marketing landscape for indie game developers.

Pretty awesome.

I'm done now :)
  • K-PAX
    Offline / Send Message
    K-PAX polycounter lvl 7
    So many nice set this week. o_o

I have finished my new set..
    final_marketing+artwork.jpg
    showcase_ingame_view.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=188785392
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    As I said in a previous thread. We are seeing less and less WIPs.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Nice set K-pax! Looks really well done.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    Nice set K-pax! Looks really well done.

+1
  • Oroboros
    Nice Abaddon man. :) Turned out great.
  • 7thBattery
    K-PAX wrote: »
    So many nice set this week. o_o

I have finished my new set.
    I love this so much. Nice job K-PAX :)
  • bounchfx
    Tamarin wrote: »
    All of this stuff that is heavily promoted outside the workshop doesn't seem to be on the same playing field. It's like workshop entries on steroids.

I think the lesson to take from this is... valve needs to consolidate 'Sets' separately from collections, and have them only take up one slot on the weekly lists. Having 6-7 dominate the top is ridiculous, There needs to be a 'This is a set' button separate from collections, which pops them all together.

Also, K-Pax.... that's AWESOME!
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    If I understand this right, Valve set this up for artists?

I hope Dota Cinema and Nexon (whever else) aren't getting revenue from the sets they push through.

It's a democratic system - which is fair - until someone shows up with 600k of their Youtube friends.

Their are easily 3-4 other sets released this week that are as good or better - also in more than 2 colors.

I said I was done my rant but it seriously annoys me when people game the system.
  • SemiColonThree
    Not to sound cocky, but my previous sets have dominated the top charts without a organization promoting it. My Kunkka set took up all 8 top slots for a week straight. Want to know why? Because we actually put effort in to create a quality set, solid presentation w/ videos and icons to make us stand out. Dota Cinema was just an extreme overkill this time.

The lesson here is, u need to get up off your ass and take some initiative. The dota 2 workshop is by far the most competitive steam workshop, and you need to do whatever you can to make your stuff stand out. Do something clever w/ a fun video idk... you cant expect everyone to play fair on an even battlefield, welcome to life.

Just dont sit there crying with your thumb in your mouth, take some initiative like Danidem and his videos, TVidotto videos, Mr. Pinkman, etc, then maybe you will get the attention you want.

I hope Dota Cinema and Nexon (whever else) aren't getting revenue from the sets they push through.

It's a democratic system - which is fair - until someone shows up with 600k of their Youtube friends.

Their are easily 3-4 other sets released this week that are as good or better - also in more than 2 colors.

I said I was done my rant but it seriously annoys me when people game the system.
  • Oroboros

In regards to the Nexon projects, it's related to promoting Dota's launch (Which happened today) in Korea in partnership with Valve. The Dota cinema stuff is a marketing service from the looks of it, in exchange for a %. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Agree though, sets should be consolidated into one icon to reduce clutter and give other people some front page love. A lot of quality work and sets lately.
  • SemiColonThree
    Well it is the official sven set for DC, which is going to be used forever as their icon. So its not a marketing service at all. The set is going to be used in all the tutorial videos when sven gets used a test dummy for spells, attacks, etc.

also note that the sven set was pieced together based off of votes from dota cinema fans, so its a tribute to them as well.
    Oroboros wrote: »
    In regards to the Nexon projects, it's related to promoting Dota's launch (Which happened today) in Korea in partnership with Valve. The Dota cinema stuff is a marketing service from the looks of it, in exchange for a %. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Agree though, sets should be consolidated into one icon to reduce clutter and give other people some front page love.
  • Primrose~
    Offline / Send Message
    Primrose~ triangle
    Not to sound cocky, but my previous sets have dominated the top charts without a organization promoting it. My Kunkka set took up all 8 top slots for a week straight. Want to know why? Because we actually put effort in to create a quality set, solid presentation w/ videos and icons to make us stand out. Dota Cinema was just an extreme overkill this time.

The lesson here is, u need to get up off your ass and take some initiative. The dota 2 workshop is by far the most competitive steam workshop, and you need to do whatever you can to make your stuff stand out. Do something clever w/ a fun video idk... you cant expect everyone to play fair, welcome to life.

Just dont sit there crying with your thumb in your mouth, take some initiative like Danidem and his videos, TVidotto videos, Mr. Pinkman, etc, then maybe you will get the attention you want.

Look man, I enjoy your work and you've done some real quality stuff in the past, but the fact of the matter is the set honestly isn't that good. You're saying take initiative, which makes a great deal of sense if people were bitching about their own sets not doing well, then pointing fingers your way, but what it boils down to is that this set had rocketed to popularity almost solely based on the MASSIVE backing come the Dota Cinema subscribers. The rest are coming from the excellent presentation like you said, but you're in flat out denial I'd you're saying it's as popular as it is because YOU presented it well; the biggest proof of this is 3000+ votes on a damned bracer. And no, you do sound like a cocky shit by comparing this set to your kunkka, because that one is light years ahead of this one in so many ways, texturing especially, you've got two colors on this set, the texturing is down right abysmal, and the masks make this flat texture mixed with the ao and normal map make this entire thing look like plastic. It needs a lot work, and it seems like a rather large amount of us agree on that outside the whole DC promotion thing.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to sound cocky, but my previous sets have dominated the top charts without a organization promoting it.

Well, you are obviously doing something right. Still, IMHO your in game screen shots aren't that spectacular. All of your sets are completely monochromatic. Your promotional work is outstanding.
    you cant expect everyone to play fair on an even battlefield, welcome to life.

Yeah, it's not my first BBQ - but thanks :) I've been around long enough to know how fast stuff gets exploited. I guess I should be saying "Congratulations!"
  • SemiColonThree
    Yes I do believe my Kunkka set is better? I never said it wasnt.

and again, like i said Dota Cinema is just overkill i still believe it wouldve reached the top charts anyways. learn 2 read

Primrose~ wrote: »
    Look man, I enjoy your work and you've done some real quality stuff in the past, but the fact of the matter is the set honestly isn't that good. You're saying take initiative, which makes a great deal of sense if people were bitching about their own sets not doing well, then pointing fingers your way, but what it boils down to is that this set had rocketed to popularity almost solely based on the MASSIVE backing come the Dota Cinema subscribers. The rest are coming from the excellent presentation like you said, but you're in flat out denial I'd you're saying it's as popular as it is because YOU presented it well; the biggest proof of this is 3000+ votes on a damned bracer. And no, you do sound like a cocky shit by comparing this set to your kunkka, because that one is light years ahead of this one in so many ways, texturing especially, you've got two colors on this set, the texturing is down right abysmal, and the masks make this flat texture mixed with the ao and normal map make this entire thing look like plastic. It needs a lot work, and it seems like a rather large amount of us agree on that outside the whole DC promotion thing.
  • SemiColonThree
    Look kid, try not to overthink things. Do you even know what exploitation means?

Dota cinema has subscribers right? So what do they do, they advertise their set like a normal human being. What are they suppose to do, not advertise it? rofl... my friend its something called utilizing resources.

its not like, we are paying people $ to vote or something... This whole sven project had the dc community involved. they voted for the set, and we produced it.. there is nothing being exploited at all.
    Well, you are obviously doing something right. Still, IMHO your in game screen shots aren't that spectacular. All of your sets are completely monochromatic. Your promotional work is outstanding.

Yeah, it's not my first BBQ - but thanks :) I've been around long enough to know how fast stuff gets exploited. I guess I should be saying "Congratulations!"
  • foxclover
    SemiColonThree: Why are you being so combative and aggressive? Can we leave the insults at home and have a civil discourse? This isn't the first time you've lashed out at people who are discussing things in a general sense. Don't take things so personally.

There are valid points being brought up here. Like sets being represented as a single item on the workshop page instead of taking up 5-7 slots, and the influence of large organizations on workshop presentation.
  • Robobobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
    1. Its buisness
    2. lots of votes didnt help NA'VI, so set quality does rly matter ALOT
    3. whats about making couriers and sets for tournaments, didnt see same reaction for Alliance set
    so conlusion is- chill and do your best
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Had fun streaming last night! I guess I can post these here now since they're public, but we're going to be including some custom animations with this tusk weapon we're working on! A new loadout animation, and new headbutting attack animation! Im saving the second for when we submit tonight! :)

dC3av4e.gif
  • SemiColonThree
    Yea i agree that there are valid points, especially collection being combined into one item.

about the lashes

Ive been extremely friendly with about 99% of the polycount community, aside from a couple disrespectful people.

I not once, started the arguement... if these people are knocking at my door, im going to open the door.
    foxclover wrote: »
    SemiColonThree: Why are you being so combative and aggressive? Can we leave the insults at home and have a civil discourse? This isn't the first time you've lashed out at people who are discussing things in a general sense. Don't take things so personally.

There are valid points being brought up here. Like sets being represented as a single item on the workshop page instead of taking up 5-7 slots, and the influence of large organizations on workshop presentation.
  • Plant
    Just wondering what's with the edge of this weapon? It really stands out for me and looks out of place - not sure if its trying to be sharp (a gradient would be better, a 2 color edge on that angle looks weird) or if you scaled your UV's and are displaying empty white texture.

This is just a question - not a attack, thread seemed to have gotten aggressive.

64gz05.jpg
  • SemiColonThree
    alright, agreed could use a fade.
    Plant wrote: »
    Just wondering what's with the edge of this weapon? It really stands out for me and looks out of place - not sure if its trying to be sharp (a gradient would be better, a 2 color edge on that angle looks weird) or if you scaled your UV's and are displaying empty white texture.

64gz05.jpg
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    This is something unique in the world - and it is super cool for artists.

Artists need to stick together and protect this thing rather than whoring themselves out to get a leg up on other artists.

What is the future of this practice of giving a percentage to 3rd parties who have done nothing to create the art? Will they gain an ever increasing margin until artists again are left with nothing? I realize that statement is a little hyperbolic, but it feels like a likely scenario if you protract this out.

Why can't we stick together as artists and protect the true spirit of the workshop?
  • SemiColonThree
    ok why are you assuming things to begin with, how do u know these things you claim?

1st DC was involved from step a to b in the concept process, and gave us a lot of these ideas.

2nd they are going to help sell the set by promoting store links in their videos, and the set will be featured on all the tutorial videos. so as a business perspective its more profittable.

3rd i repeat again.... the dc fans help put this set together too

4th, the most obvious thing is that sven is the icon of dota cinema? this isnt a abaddon set or anything... yea this is sven we are talking about here...

You are stuck in that mindset that you think every single dota 2 organization is some evil corporation. try to get some facts b4 u make such claims.

Artists need to stick together and protect this thing rather than whoring themselves out to get a leg up on other artists.

What is the future of this practice of giving a percentage to 3rd parties who have done nothing to create the art? Will they gain an ever increasing margin until artists again are left with nothing? I realize that statement is a little hyperbolic, but it feels like a likely scenario if you protract this out.

Why can't we stick together as artists and protect the true spirit of the workshop?
  • Plant
    Robobobo wrote: »
    1. Its buisness
    2. lots of votes didnt help NA'VI, so set quality does rly matter ALOT
    3. whats about making couriers and sets for tournaments, didnt see same reaction for Alliance set
    so conlusion is- chill and do your best

DotaCinema sent out a written to offer to artists, a TL:DR is basically "You make a set, we will advertise it in our videos but want a cut for it " and they go on to list the amount of views they get per video to interest the artist - this is purely marketing, they don't give feedback or anything you're just creating your own thing and getting more votes by giving them a cut. The sven set was much more involved then initially suggested in the offer, I saw different concepts - polls for the community to vote, so hopefully they've decided to disregard just getting a cut for marketing and have some involvement

Creating something for a team like Alliance involves direct communication with the players / team, you're involved and they're involved in the design process, you won't start making something until both parties are happy with the concept.

This sven set is of course Iconic to DC as the videos feature a sven, so I don't believe it to be part of the forementioned deal, I also remember seen plenty of different concepts and them actually developing it. So please don't make it a part of the topic - I think it's just a example of how powerful marketing can be.

Hopefully saying that doesn't prevent me from appearing in the workshop weekly! But to me it's the same as when I first read their offer - if my work is good it will get upvoted, and if valve likes it they will put it in, having 20k votes don't mean much at the end of the day.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message

This is where I'll chime in because I agree with you for the most part. For the most part. Some third parties I feel have a right to promote themselves in game for the things they give back to the community. Things like the Na'Vi Weaselcrow, or the IG Dragon are great for the community and fans who love these teams and now have a way to show it. The workshop allows these esport organizations a way to reach out to get these items created without having to go through the process of contacting a developer, setting up meetings, etc. With that being said, the workshop can grow off esports, and vice versa.

Now these can be handled in a few ways, through my own personal experiences working along side of these organizations. Personally, I have no problem giving a percent of the revenue to these organizations as long as the deal is fair for both sides. What can you conclude as fair? That's up to the artist. Third party organizations have a right to be on the workshop, I support it fully. I also feel that it can also inspire other starting workshop artist, acting as a way of, if I make something awesome I can get noticed, and maybe that will lead to an evenutal partnership. What I don't support is organizations taking advantage of workshop artist. And based off a few emails and things I've heard though the grapevine, I can see that blanetly happening. And it needs to stop.

At the end of the day, the most important thing, single most important, reguardless of anything, ANYTHING, is the quality of the item in game, its readablity, tone, color pallet, silhouette. Everything else is an afterthought, something optional, that doesn't determine wether or not your item is successful.

Take what I've typed however you want. I love DOTA, I love the workshop, and I love everyone on polycount, and more then anything else, I fucking love to animate. Cheers everyone. :thumbup:
    Plant wrote: »
    Creating something for a team like Alliance involves direct communication with the players / team, you're involved and they're involved in the design process, you won't start making something until both parties are happy with the concept.

Working with Nexon was a blast, the communication line was awesome, they knew what they wanted, and creating Korean inspired dota items was a nice change. Overall it was a great experience and I hope others have the oppertunity to work with them in the future. They are doing third-party workshop right! :thumbup:

Random question, is DotaCinema a youtube partner? Do they make ad revenue from their videos?
  • Robobobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
    If set deserves to get ingame, it will, with or without advertisement
  • dcneil
    Offline / Send Message
    dcneil polygon
    Ask me anything.