Home Technical Talk

3d text tools.

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys,

Just wondering whether you know of some tools, or which app you have found most easy to make 3d text in.

Whenever I try to make 3d text with bevels and what not, I always end up doing allot of manual clean up afterwards. So was just wondering what the best/easiest/quickest way of making 3d text would be.

Cheers,

Fatih

Replies

• Steppenwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    This might also be helpful. Found it on polycount a while ago.

AmNrrkf.jpg
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't understand why better text control isn't built into these applications. There should be a curve editing option for the top and side of the text.
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help guys.

Slight bevels and what not works fine in most cases, but if you want the bevel to go all the way to the center of a letter, in most cases you get lots of intersecting areas.

Just wished there was something that kinda booleaned the intersecting parts (decently) so any manual editing could be kept to a minimum.
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically I had a small graphics job that needed me to modify the "Cars" logo for s kids 3rd birthday cake.

I ended up doing a bevel like in the video you posted, and modified it manually so it would go the the centre of the letter's "stroke".
    Like this:
    CarsMert.png

I already delivered it, so it's not really a big deal.
    But if there was an automated process of having a clean bevel, one that does not self intersect and what not, it would have saved me some time.

Was using Maya btw, I briefly tried it in Cinema4d as well, but didnt bother with it too much. Since I do not know how 3ds Max handles it or any other program for that matter, I was wondering if there were any tools out there, that could get a decent result like that if I ever needed it in the future.
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, in the end with the editing.. thats basically what I did. :P

If there was some smart bevel tool, that'd cut the mesh on intersection, merge the cut's and remove the excess length, than that would be a huge help creating text like this. Again basically like a boolean.
    Example:
    TextBevel.PNG

Anyway was worth asking. =]

Thanks for the help and your time man.