Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] September 1945

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
Just finished a level and I'm ready to start another one. This concept has been sitting on my drive for awhile. It's by Kirill Barybin.

Here is the concept
PrUrg4g.jpg

One issue I have with my work is how I just throw random objects onto a sheet and I usually end up doing a lot of tweaking back and forth on spec/gloss between the different surfaces. Hopefully this paintover will help me plan out how to organize my texture sheets a little better. My last project let me experiment with POM and displacement, so I'd like to mess with the blend layers a lot on this
LrXiRkz.jpg

Reference sheet
j41x8Zl.jpg

I'd like to have that black doorway go into a hallway that connects to other rooms, so I need to add some of the awesome environments I've seen recently of apartment buildings to my reference sheet.

Annnnnnd blockout in Maya. The FOV was really throwing me off at first, so I tried comparing sizes of the objects: Stove the same width of doorway, sink(I think? Far left box thing) half the width of the stove, pipe halfway between the door and next floor, etc. The FOV is around 70 right now, which seems like it matches up pretty well.
Iz3571d.jpg

Let me know what you guys think so far. I'm really looking forward to starting this. :)

Replies

• Rokugan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokugan polycounter lvl 7
    wow, this looks pretty interesting. I think it would be quite the challenge to get the atmosphere right. Looking forward to your progress :)
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rageleet polycounter lvl 6
    thats a really cool concept, cant wait to see this unfold :) good luck!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    great concept :) Good luck!
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone. I'm really excited to start it! I agree Rokugan, I think I'm gonna experiment with dDo's batch rendering feature to get all my textures to mesh well with some dust, scratches, and faded bits.

Have some bricks(3 different models). I want to do one more that's more cracked, but that's for after work tonight. :\

PbDSzb7.jpg
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you plan on tackling the background, actual elements with DoF applied, or just a skybox?
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dissonance wrote: »
    How do you plan on tackling the background, actual elements with DoF applied, or just a skybox?

Just a skybox for now. I found an image of some rooftops somewhere in Europe. I adjusted the colors, did some painting, and blurring of my own, so for now I'm just gonna use that with more DoF, fog, and maybe particles. I'll have to see how it looks once I start putting things in the engine. My main concern is having everything look good up close, because I'd like to get some really nice, dramatic shots with strong DoF on some of the assets, so the skybox/background is on the backburner now since the image is already done.
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds good to me. Plus, the way you have it framed so far cuts off a lot of the backdrop that the concept showed, and IMO that's the way to go. I don't know why the concept included so much of it.
    Subbed! Can't wait to see this one finished.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dissonance: Thanks. I agree. With so little of the background showing, it's not really a big issue for me if it isn't super accurate or good :)

Spent a little more time on the bricks and did a more cracked one. Once everything is baked down and in a texture, I'm sure most of the detail will be lost from the models, but they were fun nonetheless.

YQTyIQ4.jpg
  • yurid9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yurid9 polycounter lvl 10
    This artwork is my desktop wallpaper currently and I love it. I can't wait to see your work based on it.

In your last image, the cracked brick is just too subtle. I would say push it more and exaggerate to make it pop out more.
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, nice concept!

About the bricks, yeah cracks are very subtles, and they are overpowered by the noise, plus it seems a little bit random. I'd be aware of the two bricks with less noise, it may be noticeable in your tile.
    Maybe some of your border are too soft, like eroded stones, bricks are more hard.

Keep it up!
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yurid9 wrote: »
    This artwork is my desktop wallpaper currently and I love it. I can't wait to see your work based on it.

In your last image, the cracked brick is just too subtle. I would say push it more and exaggerate to make it pop out more.
    Boyo wrote: »
    Hey, nice concept!

About the bricks, yeah cracks are very subtles, and they are overpowered by the noise, plus it seems a little bit random. I'd be aware of the two bricks with less noise, it may be noticeable in your tile.
    Maybe some of your border are too soft, like eroded stones, bricks are more hard.

Keep it up!

Thanks. I agree about the cracks. A lot of the details were lost, but looking at the concept, the bricks aren't really that worn down. I think I have a good mix between the concept bricks and beat up bricks, but there is one that is too smooth like Boyo said. I didn't catch it until everything was actually lit. If you guys think it stands out too much, I'll go back and try to replace them.

Also thanks for stopping by Boyo! I have some of your textures in your reference, you made me want to get better at ZBrush textures :thumbup:

CdQJnbk.jpg

I'm gonna set up the material in CE3 soon with spec and POM, so I can figure out if my diffuse shadowing is too much.

0Lv6qnZ.jpg

Edit: I still plan on making a tiling grime/dirt map to use on most of the surfaces, maybe that will help in the end too?
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on the CryEngine material. Using 1024 diffuse(spec in alpha), 1024 normal, and 1024 mask for POM. The dirt layer is something that came with the engine, for now. The diffuse is really light in the engine, so I want to go back and adjust the colors.

KX8nnDC.jpg
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a big update, but I worked a little more on the texture with dDo and making my own dirt layer. Not the best presentation, just wanted to check my values in default lighting and shadows.

tumblr_muc7reTpFL1qaa044o1_1280.jpg

I wasn't happy with that because I still didn't understand how the Dirt Layer worked, so I spent some more time and finally figured it out. I made this for my friends and myself if I ever forget, but I wanted to share it since CE3 documentation is lacking. :poly121:

tumblr_mucby7JvQM1qaa044o1_500.jpg

I hope someone finds this useful :thumbup:
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate having to work at a retail job. I get so tired switching back and forth with opening and closing shifts :poly127:

Two minor updates just so this thread doesn't fall back 20 pages. Started a few different models here and there as well as a ZBrush texture(still very much a WIP) that will probably be blended in some places. It should be rotated 90 degrees, but doing that in engine messes up the POM.

Big thing in the middle is the brick wall mesh. Just gotta add a few individual parts coming out on the broken side. Working on a base for the floor just below that, will probably take it into ZBrush.
    tumblr_mup6r57X3O1qaa044o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mup6r57X3O1qaa044o2_1280.jpg
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been away for a bit because of an art test. :) Got a few more days off from work soon, so I'll be tackling this a little more. Here's two more WIP shots.

SPOM on the stove. SPOM works better with no UV seams and soft edges. The main part of the stove is literally just 4 sides, with a horizontal tiling texture. No seams at all, even with the displacement. Just gotta finish the rest of the texture now.
    6T8i8le.jpg

And very WIP floor. Playing around with the Dirt Layer still, but my UVs for this thing are all messed up.

G0EYytQ.jpg

Ignore the lighting and skybox right now.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress, if that's what you want to call it. Never not messing with the brick texture. I'm calling it(and the SPOM) done for now, until I get the plaster mesh on the wall. The brick wall itself is still WIP, as is the stove. Ignore everything else. Next up, the plaster low/high sculpt. Since it has damage in unique areas, I'm just gonna go at it as an individual asset and not sets of blended textures.

2rseKPC.jpg
    A2iiSWr.jpg