Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wooden boat texture feedback please

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
This was an experiment with zbrush workflow. I can't say that it all went smoothly, but it was a helpful learning process. I've moved onto texturing in PS and could use some feedback. I do have some specularity for wet water spots, but 3ds Max isn't really picking up on them and the texture just kind of looks splotchy. They appear in UDK just fine, though I have to tweak the spec level and intensity.

GX6V6nd2Zkw8Mw.jpg?2GX6V6nd.jpg?2NNbc5vV.jpg?2

Replies

• Pixelatedkiwi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    Overall I like the look of the textures although I think they could do with a bit more polish.

Perhaps some scratches, worn areas/scuffing where the oars are used (or where the outboard has been attached)?

The other thing that stands out as a bit odd is the rear seat planks, most dinghy type boats have board seats that run horizontal to the boat length for strength and practicality (like the center one), did you have any reference for that?
  • hmm_rock
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks, I'll rough it up a bit more. The seat is a bit unconventional, but it actually was from reference. I liked that it wasn't so generic.

GtpaBqq.jpg?1
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    ok cool yeah, I see, maybe fill in underneath it to make it look more solid then?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nah i dont thingk thats nesecary
    i think you need to paint in more UV damage to the wood, leave the occludded areas dark as they are now (maybe shift a touch towards grenn in the real corners (damp and mold) and lighten the areas of un-occluded wood pointing upwards, this will seperate out the form of the wood much better

boat.jpg
  • hmm_rock
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm pretty happy with the texture, but I have another question. Is a 2048x2048 texture map for this asset excessive? I made it that big because I wasn't sure what I would need and I knew I could reduce it later. Now reducing it to 1024 hurts me. I always hear to design for next-gen standards, but as a portfolio piece, is it more important for it to look better or for it to conform more to industry standards?

K0v0oSz.jpg?3
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Uv amount you have used I think it fine but to me it looks like a 1024 map because your UV space is very sparse and and you have some areas smaller than you should have and some areas to large