Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    RetroMike wrote: »
    Moral dilemma. I asked someone to help with the skin assignments on the demon arms I'm working on for the Heavy. I got a volunteer and they put in work on it but it's not gonna end up working out. Turns out i need to scrap it and go back to square one to fix some issues. Because the stuff they worked on isn't going in game is it wrong to exclude them from rev share despite the work they attempted?

If the guy/girl did what you both agreed on with decent quality, I'd give the percentage. Put it this way, you are a freelancer and make some work for a game company. The thing you've made is later decided to not be included in the game. You still deserve the money, right?
  • Karjalan Juntti
    Hey, Im quite new to this workshop thing, when posting screenshots of current work in progress, is it wise to submit it into the workshop before the design or the texture is finalized?
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, Im quite new to this workshop thing, when posting screenshots of current work in progress, is it wise to submit it into the workshop before the design or the texture is finalized?

No, don't submit anything to the workshop until it's actually finished and ready for game.

WIP shots should go in a forum of your choice, or keep it a secret if you want, totally up to you. Generally I only post WIP shots if I'm unsure about the concept and/or need feedback, or if I want to make sure someone else isn't doing something similar.

In other news, ANOTHER HALLOWEENY ITEM! Merasmus influenced!

hlcBbix.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=182677925
  • vlek2903
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    electronic-fox polycounter lvl 8
  • RetroMike
    Offline / Send Message
    RetroMike polycounter lvl 11
  • Karjalan Juntti
    Here are some WIP images of my "Old Fashioned Taser" for the scout.

tazer1885blend_zps9e99fe99.pngtazer18852blend_zpsb1484cf0.pngSome viewmodel screenshots:
    ingame1_zpsb6b928d0.jpg

ingamereload_zpsc2acec50.jpg

The central concept of the gun is basically a "hand-held Tesla coil whose sparks of lightning are not so fun." The fuse bulbs are to be brightened upon firing or upon pumping the lever, much like the bulbs on the festive weapons or even the quickfix backpack bulbs. The little wheel on the back will spin rapidly around with every reload. As the metal wheel spins, it generates friction on the ironsight, creating spark effects (env_spark) and creating electricity for the gun. The projectile would be a non concentrated flash of lightning, preferably in the color of purple to match the function of the gun.

I am accepting constructive criticism on any level of harshness. In any aspect of the gun, in the design itself, animations, effects, textures.

If you think my gun is absolute garbage, I want to hear it, but please tell me why it is, so I can improve it.
  • vlek2903
  • DatGmann
  • vlek2903
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm running across (another) problem I hope someone can help with.

I'm trying to compile a model with some LODs. Individually, all models involved work just fine.

But when compiled together, only the highest-poly model will be visible. As soon as I hit the activation distance for the next model, there is nothing at all.

Here is the QC (in case something is bad there)
    $modelname "skullLods"
    $scale 1.00
    $cdmaterials "models/weapons"

$body "Body" "skullgun_reference.smd"

$lod 15 {
    replacemodel "skullgun_reference.smd" "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\skugun\smd\skullgun_referenceLOD1.smd"
    }

$lod 25 {
    replacemodel "skullgun_reference.smd" "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\skugun\smd\skullgun_referenceLOD2.smd"
    }

$lod 50 {
    replacemodel "skullgun_reference.smd" "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\skugun\smd\skullgun_referenceLOD3.smd"
    }

$sequence "Idle" "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\skugun\smd\skullgun_reference.smd" fps 30 ACT_IDLE 1

$surfaceprop "metal"

$collisionmodel "C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\skugun\smd\skullgun_reference.smd" {
    $concave
    $mass 100.000
    }
  • Karjalan Juntti
    @electronic-fox

$lod 15 {
    replacemodel "skullgun_reference.smd" "CUsers\Mike\Desktop\skugun\smd\skullgun_referen ceLOD1.smd"
    }

I am no Mountain Dew sucking hacker, but could the space in "skullgun_refern ceLOD1.smd cause the problem?
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    @electronic-fox

$lod 15 {
    replacemodel "skullgun_reference.smd" "CUsers\Mike\Desktop\skugun\smd\skullgun_referen ceLOD1.smd"
    }

I am no Mountain Dew sucking hacker, but could the space in "skullgun_refern ceLOD1.smd cause the problem?

The spaces arent actually there in the real QC, not sure why it copied over like that.
  • heinous
    do your LOD's have bones assigned to the vertices? other than that i have no idea.
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    The lods are all rigged.
  • heinous
    The lods are all rigged.

well if you're using blender maybe you moved them in object mode? also maybe the weapon you are trying to replace still uses the old w_model and v_models? i really have no idea.

anyway, slapped this together:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=183079830

vqEK2ZN.jpg

AHYGPl3.gif

DkZ1ZNt.gif

qOI6R2a.gif

xB66UWt.jpg

q79GODt.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9

I'm trying to compile a model with some LODs. Individually, all models involved work just fine.

But when compiled together, only the highest-poly model will be visible. As soon as I hit the activation distance for the next model, there is nothing at all.

Haven't looked at lod's forever but a guess:

$lod 15 {
    }

$lod 25 {
    replacemodel "skullgun_reference.smd" "CUsers\Mike\Desktop\skugun\smd\skullgun_referen ceLOD2.smd"
    }

isn't lod25 supposed to replace LOD1 (not reference) with lod2?

I could be wrong
  • emrfish6

The issue appears to be because you put in those file paths. Dont do that. Try this as your qc
    $modelname "skullLods"
    $scale 1.00
    $cdmaterials "models/weapons"

$body "Body" "skullgun_reference.smd"

$lod 15 {
    replacemodel "skullgun_reference.smd" "skullgun_referenceLOD1.smd"
    }

$lod 25 {
    replacemodel "skullgun_reference.smd" "skullgun_referenceLOD2.smd"
    }

$lod 50 {
    replacemodel "skullgun_reference.smd" "skullgun_referenceLOD3.smd"
    }

$sequence "Idle" "skullgun_reference.smd" fps 30 ACT_IDLE 1

$surfaceprop "metal"

$collisionmodel "skullgun_reference.smd" {
    $concave
    $mass 100.000
    } 

• Voidoid
  • electronic-fox
    Offline / Send Message
    well if you're using blender maybe you moved them in object mode? also maybe the weapon you are trying to replace still uses the old w_model and v_models? i really have no idea.

anyway, slapped this together:

It was all done in Maya, and nothing has moved.

Haven't looked at lod's forever but a guess:

$lod 15 {
    replacemodel "skullgun_reference.smd" "CUsers\Mike\Desktop\skugun\smd\skullgun_refer en ceLOD1.smd"
    }

$lod 25 {
    replacemodel "skullgun_reference.smd" "CUsers\Mike\Desktop\skugun\smd\skullgun_refer en ceLOD2.smd"
    }

isn't lod25 supposed to replace LOD1 (not reference) with lod2?

I could be wrong

This is just the way I named the smd files, as far as I know the naming convention is unimportant so long as the file paths are good.
    The issue appears to be because you put in those file paths. Dont do that. Try this as your qc

I have tried without the extended file paths to no avail.

I appreciate the comments on this, I will mess around a bit more and see what works. I feel like I'm missing something obvious again.
  • Karjalan Juntti
    Voidoid wrote: »

Now just make a carrot that replaces the atomic punch and you have a perfect set!
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, is that sort of Hotline Miami thing?

Pimpin' latest of mine as well:

CfD1fA1.jpg
  • Cannibal Aardvark
    Offline / Send Message
    Cannibal Aardvark polycounter lvl 5
    Woah, so many cool things on here! (totally constructive comment)
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I turned the Mann Whole-Cover into an item set. I hope the comic makes sense :) Also, sorry for the large images:

nbrg.jpg

01vw.jpg

jchv.jpg

Thanks for voting :)

BTW, that's a great idea heinous!
  • DigitalSprocket
    Offline / Send Message
    DigitalSprocket polycounter lvl 9
    Anyone using Maya with Prall's SMD exporter? I have created an item for Halloween but am runing into a problem when exporting anything for the Soldier.

None of the mod's will attach to the model in the Workshop preview. I have re-imported my mod and found that the bones have un-parented from each other and exploded across the space. All weights have also been dumped upon export.

I want to add that this issue seems to be just for the Soldier thus far. I have recent mods for the Scout and Demo that work great but using the Soldier rig or even the Compatriot rig causes major malfunction.

Any thoughts or help? I feel like Im scrambling to finish here even though Im all done...
  • Don
    i made a medic bag and i'm stuck on the texture

SC77Wai.png

does anyone have any critique for it?
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Don, I'd make the strap longer and it shouldn't fold in that sharp way near the buckle.

I'd also try adding decorative stitches on leather parts and worn out white regions on sides of the straps.
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    Don wrote: »
    i made a medic bag and i'm stuck on the texture

SC77Wai.png

does anyone have any critique for it?

I think you're approaching it backwards. You're trying to make the texture painted instead of thinking how a real life texture would look had it been painted on.

Try this as a thought experiment: imagine the texture as realistic (the flaws in the leather, cork, etc), then step back and ask yourself, "how would this look if it had been painted on with a thick brush?"

Also, conceptually, there are some things I think could be done better.

The corks for example shouldn't taper (wine bottle corks don't taper, for example -- they're simply squished in, and look more like a mushroom). I'd also suggest turning one flask into a test tube and putting them both on the same side. The tongue of the strap could also stand to stick out more. Compare that to other TF2 belts and straps -- they're all very exaggerated.
  • Don
    EmAr wrote: »
    Don, I'd make the strap longer and it shouldn't fold in that sharp way near the buckle.

I'd also try adding decorative stitches on leather parts and worn out white regions on sides of the straps.

ok, thanks for the advice. i felt it was too late to do any model changes, but i guess i dont really have a choice for it to look good.
    EArkham wrote: »
    I think you're approaching it backwards. You're trying to make the texture painted instead of thinking how a real life texture would look had it been painted on.

Try this as a thought experiment: imagine the texture as realistic (the flaws in the leather, cork, etc), then step back and ask yourself, "how would this look if it had been painted on with a thick brush?"

Also, conceptually, there are some things I think could be done better.

The corks for example shouldn't taper (wine bottle corks don't taper, for example -- they're simply squished in, and look more like a mushroom). I'd also suggest turning one flask into a test tube and putting them both on the same side. The tongue of the strap could also stand to stick out more. Compare that to other TF2 belts and straps -- they're all very exaggerated.

ummm, im a little confused on the first part. how do i get the brush strokes to look good? am i doing it wrong or something? did i add the strokes at the wrong time? i dont understand.

also, as for turning a flask into a test tube, how am i going to have them both on the same side? they wouldnt fit and i imagine it would look awkward. the flask takes up the whole space.

sorry if i sound like an idiot, i'm just really confused ._.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    I disagree with the cork taper remark. many corks have tapers. They are more universal that way. in fact the rubber stoppers in science labs are tapered too.

While i do feel the texture could use some work I am not good enough at it to tell you exactly what it is. I do think the brush marks on the strap are too noticeable but aren't noticeable on the bag itself.

The shape of the bottles makes me think it would be hard for them to not pop out of the strap. I also like the idea of test tubes. maybe flask on one side and two test tubes on the other. (one could be team color always and one could swap paint)

Maybe have the straps up higher on the bag and go around the neck of flask, (and a button strap or something). And even jiggle bone the flask/strap.

Maybe a medic patch on one side of the pouch lid.
  • 16bit
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    vzBJozN.png

Which hair suits the medic more. Note that the one on the right is just a rough draft.

I really like the normal vampire hair over the Bram Stoker as its just more of what you expect a vampire to have. Anyway, suggestions?
  • Voidoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Voidoid polycounter lvl 7
    The Manneater
    Goes well with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

D3852FCFC7D4C9351E479B2F68CA9F2193F4F912
    5A0EC465C7732E11756D54E5B2D10E3BA5E49E26
    AEF655BDEF23BB91FC8A9229E77E0C03ACF7A342
    EA49753C99F0E8E6950D6008453504B81D1B93F1

Model and SFM shots by Rain, concept, texture, and HLMV shots by Void.
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    ummm, im a little confused on the first part. how do i get the brush strokes to look good? am i doing it wrong or something? did i add the strokes at the wrong time? i dont understand.

I'll put it another way: it looks like you just filled the space with random brush strokes.

That's not really how TF2 textures work... use RL references, and then paint in wear & tear, edging, etc based on thse RL references. If you look at the Valve stuff, and the best community stuff, the strokes all have a reason for being where they are.
  • Don
    I'll put it another way: it looks like you just filled the space with random brush strokes.

That's not really how TF2 textures work... use RL references, and then paint in wear & tear, edging, etc based on thse RL references. If you look at the Valve stuff, and the best community stuff, the strokes all have a reason for being where they are.

ok i get it now.

and youre right i did just put in strokes in random places. i'm usually never sure where to put strokes in, thats always one of the things that stumps me when texturing. and looking at other items doesnt really help, i can never tell how or why someone put something wehre.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Voidoid wrote: »
    The Manneater
    Goes well with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

D3852FCFC7D4C9351E479B2F68CA9F2193F4F912
    5A0EC465C7732E11756D54E5B2D10E3BA5E49E26

Model and SFM shots by Rain, concept, texture, and HLMV shots by Void.

If that isn't this years Spine Tingling I will officially hate valve!
  • Don
    i made another model

7xACqAW.png

its supposed to a pair of boxer shorts.

any critique or suggestions?
  • Cannibal Aardvark
    Offline / Send Message
    So, newbie here. New to the site and kinda new to TF2 modelling altogether. But, I do do some modelling, and TF2 is one of my favourite games, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

So, here's a Scattergun I threw together. First real attempt, just trying to learn the style of TF2.

QDRCueH.jpg

Critiques/comments welcome. Obviously still kinda needs to be optimised a bit, since the tri-count is nearly that of the Cow-mangler, but other than that I'm pretty happy with it. :)
  • n88tr
    all of the little recolors like pale green, purple etc, are those things the valve kit does for the new item or do you have to recolor each item manually? just curious
  • vlek2903
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    all of the little recolors like pale green, purple etc, are those things the valve kit does for the new item or do you have to recolor each item manually? just curious

You have to use the alpha channel of the diffuse to select paintable areas.

Then the importer tool lets you select paints so you can test colors. But you need to take a separate screenshot of each one.
  • Voidoid
  • br0br0br0
  • Don
    OxXP5RL.png

[VEROLD]5250f38c02abcf02000000fc[/VEROLD]

http://p3d.in/2Tn1S

i redid some of the model for some of the feedback i got from here. i made the belt longer and added vials on one side.

any suggestions/critique before i unwrap it again?
  • RIKUSYO
    I face one problem.

After having output a model in SMD Export of XSI, I used Importer of TF2.

Then the direction of the normal becomes strange. How to fix?

Do you have any ideas?

I am sorry in poor English.

normal_error.jpg
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    any suggestions/critique before i unwrap it again?

Looking a lot better. I'd suggest a couple minor things:

* make the strap holding the tubes go in between them (like this) so it doesn't look like they're about to fall out

* similar thing for the flask, maybe add a small strap underneath it to keep it in (along the lines of this).
  • Cannibal Aardvark
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow Heinous, that's really cool! If that's not added in this Halloween update, I'll eat my hat.
  • alsoodani
    TheBwo9.png

We made a tf2 comic (Click the link above to read) to accompany our TF2 item The Gristly Gumbo Pot:

9693F97922BBCA74E849E6BD8E161613FF9E40A4

We worked hard on them both, so if you enjoyed em, give them an upvote and pass them along to friends!
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    RIKUSYO wrote: »
    I face one problem.

After having output a model in SMD Export of XSI, I used Importer of TF2.

Then the direction of the normal becomes strange. How to fix?

Do you have any ideas?

I am sorry in poor English.

Common problem with some other programs too.

Either reset the xforms (Max term) or just make a cube, select cube and then attach the rope (now you have a rope model and a cube as one called cube), that resets normals and pivot to what the cubes was. Then delete the cube.

I don't use xsi though, it may happen again on export. So you could try exporting an .fbx file and use that for the beta importer.
    Or export an obj file and import/.export from blender... Sometmes you just have to find a work around for bugs.
  • Don
    Looking a lot better. I'd suggest a couple minor things:

* make the strap holding the tubes go in between them (like this) so it doesn't look like they're about to fall out

* similar thing for the flask, maybe add a small strap underneath it to keep it in (along the lines of this).

dAXL6Hl.png

[VEROLD]52529c915e33a702000001ec[/VEROLD]

is this better?
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    dAXL6Hl.png

is this better?

Yup, much better imo. AO and texture that suckah!