Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Loose ends and forgotten promises. A wip thread.

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
linkov polycounter lvl 10
hey all,

soo, like some other people I've got too many unfinished stuff on my hard drive and its bothering me really))) so I've decided to create this wip thread and finish them one by one. Maybe not all of them, but this is definitely long term, so bear with me :poly124:

I'll start with something recently abandoned. Earlier this year I've finished this concept piece and it was supposed to be commercial, but didn't happen. So now I'm just doing it for myself. Perhaps I'm gonna put it on 3DOcean to sell later. Not sure yet.

a4ot2p.jpg

This is my current geometry, basically its rather sophisticated blockout. Tricount is irrelevant atm, there is much to be done with optimisation and modeling.

21df8w.jpg

140gscy.jpg

What I wonder though, is there something I can improve? Maybe its too busy or something doesn't fit other parts? Color scheme? Anything else?

Anyway, feel free to post any comments and suggestions, its all appreciated :)

Replies

• Rokugan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokugan polycounter lvl 7
    I'm not the best person to give feedback on this so I'll just say: Awesome job!

I really like the concept and the texturing is simply amazing. The only little thing that bothers me is the color of the wood, but it's just personal taste. I think that a slightly darker wood would fit the piece better.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    I really really like this concept. May I have your permission to maybe make it into 3D? I'll credit you ofcourse, and it would only be for portfolio uses :D
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokugan: thanks! yeah, wood color definitely off. I don't know what I was thinking back then, but you're not the first one who mention it :)

Dave Jr: sure! somebody already asked me same thing :) I'll be happy to see what you guys can come up with :) Btw I'm not a concept artist at all, so this is all kinda flattering :poly136:
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    this looks awesome. Looking at this and your sketchbook thread; you're pumping out some quality handpainted stuff. I'm pretty jealous of your skills.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Looking great!
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I love the concept and the blockout is coming along nicely. Looking forward to more updates. :)

What's the story behind this building?
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus, skylebones: thanks!
    Kyle, there is no story really. it is supposed to be steampunk workshop of some kind. Gyro Gearloose from Ducktales was a great inspiration. I've spent many hours back when I was a child watching Ducktales and Rescue Rangers. Crazy inventors were my favorites!!! And since I'm interested in the environment art, here it is - home for the crazy inventor :)
  • Eliteabix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliteabix polycounter lvl 5
    Your blockout looks bang on already, I can imagine this concept looking great when finished. Watching :D
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm slowly continue working on my steampunk workshop, and while there is nothing significant to show yet (I've been doing mostly UV mapping, figuring out things), I did a small shield this morning for my 'shop' at 3DOcean.

o6gutu.jpg
  • Rokugan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like this shield. I'm only wondering if the lack of contrast is a personal preference choice or not! for my tastes it could use a bit more of contrast and a low percentage smart sharpen ^^ keep up the good job!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I really like your shield but it looks flat and has an overall lack of contrast. I ran this through photoshop with a basic levels adjust. Not to say the levels will fix everything (as it blows out some highlights/saturation) but it gives some sharp focus for your shapes.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokugan, praetus: thanks guys, I can totally see the point you making, truth is, low contrast thing is kinda on purpose. I'm not sure how to explain my thought process here. the problem is - adjusting levels gives that burned out look with strong whites and blacks which is not good. perhaps I'll revisit its texture as I make some more shields and weapons.

anyway, thanks for your input, much appreciated! :)
  • Rokugan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see your point and infact I think the levels should be left untouched to avoid that extreme, cause as you said you will get a burned look.
    I'd see better something more subtle like this:

4K2jq.jpg
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work so far man. Love the hand painted textures and nice block out
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokugan: it looks better indeed, but my main concern is about whats gonna happen when ingame lighting kicks in. what you see here is 100% lit texture. my version of the texture allows highlights and shaded areas to be slightly affected by color lights and ambient light in general. black and white pixels cannot be changed and this is why I'm being careful with contrast.

Dilkesy: thanks!
  • Rokugan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the explanation :) It actually makes sense, would be cool to see it in a game engine. I think that your explanation will be usefull to me to keep in mind for my future works ^^ can't wait to see more works of yours
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, Oleg!
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Askhat, thanks! :)